+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 76328 raraah4u is an unknown quantity at this point raraah4u's Avatar

Yes | No

91 m5 self-leveling system

So I finally got one of my dream cars, 91 m5, while cruising at 135mph my water pump failed, broke the motor fan blades and punctured the radiator. Got it fixed, rear shock(self load leveling system)has a leak.

Can someone with knowledge let me know if i should eliminate it or swallow $1050.00 to keep it. How much of a performance difference is it? It's not a money issue but if i eliminate the system is cheaper. I love the way it handles, but if eliminating the system is an upgrade then i'll take it out....any advice will help a lot.

thanks in advance

SNR

Yes | No

Well that all depends...

Some people swear by the "conventional" rear suspension set up. Others say that the SLS is the way to go. My take is, if you're going to carrying 3 or 4 passengers all the time then stick with the SLS. If it's just you and a spouse or significant other, then you have the necessary load range to go either way. Personally I would stick with the SLS. I ran Bilstein sports up front with a linear rate set of springs and the standard SLS readjusted to lower the car about half an inch, and that setup worked out amazingly well.
    He's a link on the leaking SLS
    SLS
    Good luck

Registered Member
    Member No: 76328 raraah4u is an unknown quantity at this point raraah4u's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Well that all depends...

SNR...thanks for the reply. i figured on BMW putting the SLS there for a reason, just wasn't sure if the conventional rear suspension was better or not. Is your m5 stock?

Dave Hall

Yes | No

If your rear sls shocks are seeping fluid (more than the regular film that can build up and attract dust) it's time to change the accumlators. This is a 250.00 pair part cost and cheaper than 450.00 each shocks. When the accumlators go bad the shocks will run at higher fluid pressure to maintain ride height. The accumlators help to dampen pressure variances in the system. I have been this through a number of times in both my M5's. Try this and I suggest that you try and keep the sls system. Dave H

Registered Member
    Member No: 84885 gderian is an unknown quantity at this point gderian's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 91 m5 self-leveling system

SLS is best unless you are going for that last 5% in handling. By the time all the work is done to convert, including new rear springs, the cost savings isn't that high.

Jeff

Yes | No

I vote for keeping the SLS

I've replaced them on 2 m6s, a 635 csi and my current m5. In a past life I took the dealers' advise and replaced my sls with a static suspension and well..it ruined the car.

Registered Member
    Member No: 15124 KJK is an unknown quantity at this point KJK's Avatar

Yes | No

Hmm, you should find a car with SLS removed to drive. I think SLS is floaty and at least needs some stiffer springs for any kind of spirited driving (I have driven a stock one after modifying mine to Dinan Stage III and that was my impression at high speeds on the freeway). Dinan offered an SLS suspension package at one time. Although SLS isn't soft by any means, I just prefer a bit more damping. I track my car so I am at the other end of the extreme. Like Gary said, the last 5% matters to me. If you elect to keep it make sure you keep an eye on the accumulators and the shocks should last a good bit longer the second time around. You may want to put some Konis up front and maybe a factory M5 touring rear swaybar for a nice moderate street suspension. If you do that you can always switch later to non-SLS. You really have to figure out how you are going to use the car.

Kevin
    '91 M5

Mel A

Yes | No

I'm with Kevin-if you're going to track your car or want better handling performance -you want a stiffer suspension than the SLS.
    I'm one of the few that's happy with my Bilstein/Eibach Sport setup with Dinan camber plates and RD anti-sway bars.
    Like Kevin,I like it stiff!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information