+ Reply to Thread
    Sam

Yes | No

91 M5 for 6k good condition got some questions

The motor was overhauld 12k ago has 230k on the dash looks good what should I also look at before buying the car

Tom Noble

Yes | No

Re: 91 M5 for 6k good condition got some questions

you should give me the buyers name and number so I can buy it!!! Seriously, let me know if you don't take it...
    -tom

jwrosenthal

Yes | No

First,

He should have every scrap of paperwork for the rebuild. If he doesn't and just wants you to "take his word"...walk away. The rebuild should also cost anywhere between $7-12k, done by a reputable shop that know M-cars...not the local Shell station. If it was a $3k rebuild...something is very wrong.
    Even if the engine is perfect, an M5 with that kind of mileage should have had major suspension work and trans rebuild/replacement, within the last 50k miles. There are alot of other parts that should have been replaced as well. The diff, drive-shaft, steering box, catalytic, exhaust...etc, are all big...BIG, ticket items(steering box is $3k, cat is $2.5). If he doesn't have a stack of receipts...WALK AWAY!!
    The price seems way too low for anyone who has put major money into that car. Even with the mileage, if the owner showed me a stack of receipts for the above work, plus 10 years of full documentation (should have receipts for over $2k every couple of years), and it passed a PPI with flying colors, I would be expecting to pay over $10k at least.
    If you buy the thing for $6k, then end up doing another engine rebuild to get it right, then address the aformentioned issues, you are looking at well over $20k...far more than you would have to spend for a solid well maintained, enthusiast owned M5.

Get a PPI from a factory trained mechanic no matter what. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

James R.

jwrosenthal

Yes | No

Forgot to mention.

Insist on a compression test, and pay the extra money for it. Even a reputable factory trained BMW mechanic can screw-up a rebuild, and they would be the first to admit it.

James R.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information