+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 131787 KiltedMan is an unknown quantity at this point KiltedMan's Avatar

Yes | No

Maximum Possible HP for 1.9l M44 8/96 Engine

This is a purely information hunting post so I have a question or two.

1) What is the maximum HP anyone has seen for the M44 1.9l engine? I've seen kits at Dinan that can raise the horsepower to around 158 bhp. There have to be more horses without a darned nitrous system.

2) What performace gain would be possible from adding a Turbo or (if one is made) Twin Turbo kit?

See, I think it would be "easy" to clear 250 bhp with the engine if it's tuned correctly. (Caveat: I really don't know what I'm talking about in seriousness, this is pure fantasy. Put your claws away and play along.)

Sure, you can put a high flow exhaust/intake on it and the computer will keep working to ensure the mix ratio of 14.7 : 1 (air:fuel). Everyone does that. This is something crazy though. If you were to put a Turbocharger on, the high-flow intake/exhaust, fine tune the timing, and change the compression ratio to a higher ratio for more low end hp and torque, but what would the result be? Dinan seems to have some nifty add ons, but it's as though the M44 1.9 is sold short. This is a BMW. A piece of efficient German well-engineered machinery. It deserves better!

You could place a V8 in it (http://www.ts-alurad.de/galerie_details.html?id=40&foto=4) but that throws the balance and weight distribution all kinds of akimbo. This is not to mention the handling would be less than go-kart-like. Chassis stiffening and suspension upgrades can do only so much to help that gigantic MASS [emphasis added] of a front end handle the same way.

Registered Member
    Member No: 78605 nealmann is an unknown quantity at this point nealmann's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Maximum Possible HP for 1.9l M44 8/96 Engine

I have the Downing Atlanta Supercharger on my 1.9 liter. Their (DASC) specs. show 207 hp with putting the supercharger on the 1.9. I don't know about the other things you mention. I do have high flow intake and exhaust as well.98 Z3 1.9 ; HMS strut tower brace, antisway bars, and roll bar; Supersprint cat back exhaust; Dinan chip; Whalen Shift Machine; Strong-Strut Butt strut; FOGGED air box, Downing Atlanta Supercharger.

Registered Member
    Member No: 90659 Ja_spurling is an unknown quantity at this point Ja_spurling's Avatar

Yes | No

The M44 hasn't seen the development......

If you've got a M-10 or even an M-42 these engines have been developed for racing. With one of these engines you can easily see the high side of 200hp with out going to supercharging. With a S-14 in the M3 you can get a 300 hp build naturally asperated. The sad truth is that the M-44 has basiclly been orphaned, it's the last 4 cylinder BMW to be sold on this side of the pond(excluding Mini). So doing anything to improve the hp output other than Downing Antlanta, or maybe Active Autoworks, just isn't there. BTW, cat back exhausts, software, and cold air filter have a minimal effect on this engine as that's not where the limit is. You can find the M44 only in e-36 based cars and by this time production isn't as numerous due to consumers saying, "Why buy a 318 when you could get a 323?" If you speak German, I think there is a web-site that lists cams for the M-44 from a production car racing series.

I've been looking building a track Z3 classed in ITA, and compaired to Mazda or Honda, the Z3's over weight for its performance potential. More power and torque just isn't there to be had, and try finding .040 over pistons :( In the end I'll do it because I like the car, and results be dammed.

Ja_

Z3_GoCar Racing
    My Auto Page

User Level 8
    Member No: 6602 fredr is on a distinguished road fredr's Avatar

Yes | No

I have been told by a reputable engine builder

who builds Grand Am BMW engines that the M44 can get 200+ normally aspirated HP and still pass Houston's emission test. Just the basics will free the HP in the engine, cams, compression, and diligent assembly.

One thing about going to forced induction(turbo/supercharging) is that you would most likely reduce compression if you go over 10 pounds of boost. Above that level too much compression will lead to detonation.
    Fred
    96 1.9 Z3 black/tan/black
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray

Registered Member
    Member No: 40215 DaneKane is an unknown quantity at this point DaneKane's Avatar

Yes | No

1.9 has a lot of potential..best exhaust manifolds

..in Z3's(including M's)..well balanced and nearly equal lengthed..Cheers! dk '97 2.8 bg R

Registered Member
    Member No: 21597 z3bigdaddy is an unknown quantity at this point z3bigdaddy's Avatar

Yes | No

Hey FredR you still have an extra motor?

just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler, just filler,

Click on the logo for
    Ten Years of Curves Updates.

User Level 8
    Member No: 6602 fredr is on a distinguished road fredr's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes Sir! It's sitting on an engine stand in the

garage just waiting. (c;
    Fred
    96 1.9 Z3 black/tan/black
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray

Registered Member
    Member No: 90659 Ja_spurling is an unknown quantity at this point Ja_spurling's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks Dane.....

This is good news bad news...

Good news, don't need to spend the money for a custom exhaust header.

Bad news, not much to be gained by going to a custom header. Or it's about as good as it'll get.

The car racing weight is set by the percieved potential availble, untill many cases are shown to the contrary. So inherant is the assumption that by changing out to a custom exhaust header one would see a significant gain, as aren't all factory exhausts heavy, inefficient, cast iron things to be removed from any real race car? In this case I'd expect it to be classed based on a ~15% horsepower gain which is typical for a most cars or ~160 hp. But since the M44 is so developed from the factory is there really 20hp that can be gained by going .040 over on the pistons, replacing the exhaust, going to Motec/Tech3 controls, and removing the accesories (except the power steering)? Let's just say I'm skeptical that within the scope of allowable mods it's possible. The only mod performend on the M44 that's proven to increase power is forced induction. Most other mods don't have any real dyno time, manifolds and cams are virtually non-existant. Sad but true :(

Ja_

Z3_GoCar Racing
    My Auto Page

Registered Member

Yes | No

BTW, Best advice you gave me......

Was join the BMWCCA :) I've really had a blast autox'ing with them this year, and the Monterey Historics was fun too. just wanted to say thanks for that.

Ja_

Z3_GoCar Racing
    My Auto Page

Registered Member
    Member No: 40215 DaneKane is an unknown quantity at this point DaneKane's Avatar

Yes | No

more z3 fun the better!..still thinkin on airdam..

..project...a simple underbody device might have sufficient benefits..increased mpg on the highway possibly..Cheers! dk '97 2.8 bg R

Registered Member

Yes | No

I've decided to put it on the Track Z3....

which is the car that I don't yet owne. I need to get you the part number for the material I picked up from the Depot ;)

Ja_

Z3_GoCar Racing
    My Auto Page

Registered Member
    Member No: 131787 KiltedMan is an unknown quantity at this point KiltedMan's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Maximum Possible HP for 1.9l M44 8/96 Engine

Interesting, has anyone heard of being able to put a 911's flat-6 in a z3? The cams are a good idea, a bit labor intensive and out of my monkey-wrenching abilities at the moment. Compression is definitely key. Could a better combustion chamber also help in terms of efficiency with an improved intake/exhause, computer and turbo/super charger? The necessary tools for creating and more importantly engineering a hemispherical combustion chamber, are definitely out of my reach. But fanciful ideas sometimes inspire the real gearheads to do something interesting and quite possibly daring.

Unregistered

Yes | No

WTF You don't own one, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedMan View Post
    This is a purely information hunting post so I have a question or two.

1) What is the maximum HP anyone has seen for the M44 1.9l engine? I've seen kits at Dinan that can raise the horsepower to around 158 bhp. There have to be more horses without a darned nitrous system.

2) What performace gain would be possible from adding a Turbo or (if one is made) Twin Turbo kit?

See, I think it would be "easy" to clear 250 bhp with the engine if it's tuned correctly. (Caveat: I really don't know what I'm talking about in seriousness, this is pure fantasy. Put your claws away and play along.)

Sure, you can put a high flow exhaust/intake on it and the computer will keep working to ensure the mix ratio of 14.7 : 1 (air:fuel). Everyone does that. This is something crazy though. If you were to put a Turbocharger on, the high-flow intake/exhaust, fine tune the timing, and change the compression ratio to a higher ratio for more low end hp and torque, but what would the result be? Dinan seems to have some nifty add ons, but it's as though the M44 1.9 is sold short. This is a BMW. A piece of efficient German well-engineered machinery. It deserves better!

You could place a V8 in it (http://www.ts-alurad.de/galerie_deta...l?id=40&foto=4) but that throws the balance and weight distribution all kinds of akimbo. This is not to mention the handling would be less than go-kart-like. Chassis stiffening and suspension upgrades can do only so much to help that gigantic MASS [emphasis added] of a front end handle the same way.
    "well engineered-German machinery" bwahahaha, these putrid oil leaking coolant pipe blowing pieces of ****!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 162.158.79.22

Registered Member
    Member No: 14708 E.Hands is an unknown quantity at this point E.Hands's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    "well engineered-German machinery" bwahahaha, these putrid oil leaking coolant pipe blowing pieces of ****!
    Bye Felicia
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 162.158.186.29

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information