+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 129463 LogicBored is an unknown quantity at this point LogicBored's Avatar

Yes | No

EML light came on -- throttle body or harness??

My 2001 BMW 330Ci recently stalled while driving and it has happened in the past. This time I was able to get a better glimpse of the lights that came on and the 'EML' warning lamp was on. I'm really surprised BMW hasn't issued a recall on this as it is quite dangerous -- I've nearly been rear-ended because of this failure.

Upon searching the archives -- it seems this is not a unique problem and I took it to the dealer a few months ago and he just said replacing the throttle harness would do the trick for $1400. Needless to say, my car is out of the warranty period. I was reluctant to believe the wiring harness would go bad and I asked if they could clean the contacts -- but he said they couldn't do that.

So -- my question is ... is it really the throttle harness or is it the throttle body? How much could I reasonable expect to pay an independent mechanic to fix this?

Lb

dheath

Yes | No

Re: EML light came on -- throttle body or harness??

I just had my 2002 330i repaired at the dealer under warranty for the same problem. The throttle body and the harness were replaced. There was a service bulletin on both. The electronics on the throttle body failed causing the drive-by-wire system not to know where to set the throttle (EML, SES, DSC and amber brake light.) I had to return to the dealer the next day for a different symptom. The car was sputtering while going down the highway and set the SES light only. Turns out the harness wasn't connected properly and the computer was not getting a good reading from the cam positioning sensor. I would opt for replacing the throttle body first if it were on my dime.

Registered Member
    Member No: 184263 RichHawk is an unknown quantity at this point RichHawk's Avatar

Yes | No

I'm in the exact same boat right now with my 2003 330i I've got an intermittent stalling with the same engine lights. I've narrowed it down to the Throttle motor assembly, the engine wiring harness, or the DME.

I called my local dealer, and they said neither the Throttle or the wiring harness is under warranty any more, but if it turned out to be the DME, then it would be covered by the federally mandated 8 year 80K mile warranty.

I have found some information on how to test the throttle assembly feedback potentiometers. Plus my throttle assembly is newer than the SIB mentioned May 1 2002 date of manufacture on the throttle body. ( SIB 12 10 02 here: http://www.ge39.com/files/EDK.pdf )

But I've never found any good technical discussion of what goes wrong with the wiring harness, or if there is a fix that is less than remove and replace the entire engine harness...
    Really, it's wires and connectors. It's not rocket science. I'm hoping someone can direct me to a fix that involves connector xxx or soldering in a replacement subset at junction yyyy.

Any technical details on engine wiring harness failures? anyone?

Thanks,
    Richard S.
    Kansas City
    2003 330i ZHP
    87 911

dpalexander

Yes | No

I have same thing right now on my 2003 325i. Same warning lights, idle revving from 800 to 1200, hard to control car at slow speed. Almost put me through garage.

Some mention that you can TRY Deoxit from RadioShack on harness connectors at DME. Others report it's the throttle body not harness. BMW service bulletin says should replace both.

Why, if Toyota has to recall cars for acceleration issues, does BMW NOT have to do same. Dangerous!

Ricardo Nuyn

Yes | No

EML light came on -- throttle body or harness??

I have a same problem the car running on safe mode, could not go over 50 miles/hr. It is very dangerous.

I have replaced the MDK for 6 months and now the car gave me the code 118 which is "Plausibility signal, motor driven throttle valve sensor, potentiometers 1&2" then ran in limb mode.

I got carsoft 6.5 and I diagnosed, the code was cleared and reappeared a day later. I wiggled the MDK socket and round connector, the code disappeared. I think I have not turn the round socket all the way.

I think the European don't know how to utilize the flat socket like US. They all use round sockets, they have tendency not to make a good connection.

I will going to clean the socket and tighten the round socket all the way in and to let you know all my result.

Thanks for sharing information with.
    Ricardo
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 70.247.175.69

Unregistered

Yes | No

Has anyone found a fix for stalling BMW with 3 orange lights coming on?

My BMW 330i convertible has stalled for years and recently got worse. The throttle body was replaced (three times) and hasn't fixed it/ That was the code that it throws out but as far as I can tell the diagnostics on these engines are ridiculously simple and don't exactly tell you much. Any help appreciated. I just want to fix this and sell it. And never own a Big Money Waster again...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 96.49.69.214

Unregistered

Yes | No

Found the problem.

After much money and headache, the problem is the plug running to the throttle body. Apparently the problem was addressed in a bulletin in 07, and subsequently engine harnesses for replacement have been redesigned to be less prone to loose contact with the throttlebody. Hope helps.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 67.187.86.203

Unregistered

Yes | No

EML light on 2001 530i

My car is an automatic. I just bought from a guy yesterday. It drove great and was code less. Now I get in it and it sputters until you reach 50. The eml light is on? What should I do?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 184.156.35.66

Unregistered

Yes | No

Have mechanic look for vacuum leaks

My car 2002 330xi went into limp mode for years. I replaced many parts, airflow sensor, throttle body, harness, nothing worked - thousands in expenses and unspeakable frustration. I finally pointed out a high pitch whistle that indicated a vacuum leak somewhere when the engine was running at 3500 - 3800 rpm. The mechanic then drove it, heard it, found it, fixed it, and since haven't had another fault condition.... until this week. Funny thing, last week I heard the vacuum leak whistle again. Coincidence? Possibly, but I'd never gone so long without hitting limp mode. Heading back to my mechanic this week to patch the leak again (wish I remember where he said it was)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 198.179.137.240

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information