+ Reply to Thread
    Tim

Yes | No

Help! Oil light flickers at idle!

Recently, my oil light came on when my car is at idle and only at idle. If i rev up the engine so the rpm is above 850-900, the light turns off.

The light is always off when i am driving. I checked the oil level and its full.

I called up my mechanic and without looking at the car, he said its my sensor and i need to change it along with the oil the next time i change oil because the oil will drain out if i change the sensor by itself.

he qouted me 260 for oil change and sensor (parts plus labor)

what do u guys think?

Registered Member
    Member No: 40215 DaneKane is an unknown quantity at this point DaneKane's Avatar

Yes | No

oil pressure is spec'd very low at idle..7psi..

.for most (you didn't say)..low oil level can result in lower indication(check level)..same if it's very dirty(change oil)...& be sure to use correct viscosity(lower wt=lower idle psi)..the sensor can effect the reading if 1)it's leaking at threading,2)has oil contamination on contacts(a frequent culprit), 3)has loose or shorted wiring, or 4) is defective(r/r)..if you have high mileage(over100k) and poor oil maintenance, the pump may be at fault,,though unlikely unless mileage is very high(over250k)..if it were my Z3,I'd install fresh, correct, oil, then I'd check the oil pressure with a guage at the switch connection, looking for 7psi at 650rpm..if that spec'd okay..then i'd check switch for continuity(same procedure as in Bentley's)...if you don't have 7psi..you might try an engine cleaner(mystery oil) but most likely would be need of a pump or pump related repair($$$)...the oil switches are relatively cheap and very easy to r/r, so $260 quote is outrageous..Cheers! dk '97 2.8 bg R

Tim

Yes | No

Re: oil pressure is spec'd very low at idle..7psi..

I just had my oil change in the last 2000 miles using mobile 1 synthetic oil.

as far as the prices, he said its 110 for the parts plus 70 labor, plus 80 dollar oil change?

so should i take it to a different shop?

Cookie

Yes | No

the idle has to be right on the money

if it is a little low it will flicker. I agree with most of what Dane would do, but the first thing I would check is oil viscosity. Using too low a viscosity can cause this and sometimes the cure can be as simple as pulling the oil filter, installing a new one and topping up with a quart of 40 wt.

Registered Member
    Member No: 40215 DaneKane is an unknown quantity at this point DaneKane's Avatar

Yes | No

oil pressure sender:$10.40 list.$8.40 or less ...

..retail(oem#12-61-1-730-160/or old#12611710509)..this unit is used almost universally in present day BMW's..a slack-jawed monkey boy could r/r in less than 15 minutes(with a p break!)..$80 for oil change?..you could use canneros merlot for less than that!...$100 mark-up on part?..maybe the add-on for o-ring?(about$1.00 elsewhere)...methinks you should check your oil level..and be very careful about who you choose to go to for repairs..your choice, always!..Cheers! dk '97 2.8 bg R

Registered Member

Yes | No

..while you're at it,be sure oil cap is tight and

dipstick is properly in place..a small leak will effect idle a bit(check condition of seals/o-rings)...you might want to turn the ASC off(if so equipped)while checking..it can effect idle if the ASC butterfly valve is dirty or if it's been misadjusted(usually only if it's been removed for some reason)..the fluctuations usually tend to run lower..and may cause the warning light to blink(especialy so if oil level is low to boot!)..Good Luck! dk '97 2.8 bg R

Cookie

Yes | No

Almost cheaper than a filter and quart of oil

Cookie

Yes | No

Yup, anything that affects idle

We used to be able to just turn the idle screw up a bit, but no more on most cars.

Mustang Man

Yes | No

Possible fix to oil flicker

I had the same issue on my 99 M3, would flicker after about 15-20 minutes, but go out if I increased the RPMs slightly. I pulled the oil filter checked for any metal debris and found nothing. I installed the oil filter top side down (either works) and agitated it back and forth to make sure it had a good seat on the lower boss. Reinstalled cap and problem went away. Been driving it awhile now with no issues. Having a good seat on the lower filter housing boss seemed to fix the problem. The best part is it only takes a few minutes to fix. Hope this solves your issue as well
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 172.68.174.93

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information