+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 118980 freeheelin is an unknown quantity at this point freeheelin's Avatar

Yes | No

Do you guys let your engine warm up....

before driving off (cold engine,1st start up of the day)?

I have read different opinions on the matter.
    Some say it is crucial because the oil has to rise from the oil pan to the top of the engine.
    Others say it is a waste of fuel,choosing instead to drive off slowly but to keep the rpms below 3000 till the needle is due north.

Any thoughts?

TIA.

Registered Member
    Member No: 73627 bpepper19 is an unknown quantity at this point bpepper19's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Do you guys let your engine warm up....

You should probably let it warm up for at least a minute. That is in warmer weather.

They say that modern engines don't need to warm up, but it can't hurt to give it some time, especially in the winter.

Registered Member
    Member No: 118980 freeheelin is an unknown quantity at this point freeheelin's Avatar

Yes | No

Many interesting opinions on the E39 Board.

Check it out.

Registered Member
    Member No: 73627 bpepper19 is an unknown quantity at this point bpepper19's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Many interesting opinions on the E39 Board.

Wow, that guy that warms up for 15mins every time is crazy! I like to warm it up for around a minute if it isn't too cold. If it is really cold I like to go for at least 15mins.

In my trucks which are diesel, I usually go for at least 5mins unless it is really cold. Then I try for at least 15-20-30mins, that's when it is really cold. Otherwise it won't run worth a damn, but diesels take longer to warm up.

Icabob

Yes | No

Warm it up till the RPMs drop...

I ALWAYS wait till the RPMs drop down to the normal mark,especially with the 540's,with the twin vanos system,I've been told by numerous people,and techs to let it warm up till rpms drop.Makes me feel better...lol.I give my wife heck for starting the car,then taking off.

HurtinUnit

Yes | No

fire it up and start driving

I did a decent amount of research on this, I lived in ft mac and drove my M3 through the winter up there...

You want to start it up and drive the car right away, but baby it. part throttle (no more than half) and always shift before 3000 rpm for the first ten minutes. Wait another 5 mins or so before you think about redlining the car.

By driving right away you also warm up the transmission fluid. Also, if it is very cold out and you leave your car to idle for an extended period of time, condensation can occur in the exhaust pipe and actually freeze in there, which screws up the exhaust flow. It can be wise to blip the throttle just before you turn the car off to use the exhaust to push out any condensation that may have built up in the system if you were driving slowly in traffic.

If you can avoid it, don't drive your car unless it is going to get fully warmed up to operating temperature. Avoid short trips.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information