+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 109560 emrave is an unknown quantity at this point emrave's Avatar

Yes | No

Door seal water leak, check your cars people! long

After the 3rd day of nonstop raining, I found 1/4" of water on the rear passenger foot well then it grew to 1" the very next day. After scooping up most of the water and placing a large plastic bag between the door and the bottom of the doorframe to guide the water outwards, the water level didn't rise even at the 8th day of downpour. Oh, I'm talking about my 2001 BMW (what a piece of sh*t). For all these common problems I've learned from this board: first the pixels, then the camshaft position sensor, and then the window regulators, and now the leak. Just some histories, for little more than a year the rear door panels have been taken apart three times by the dealer to repair the window regulators. I have no doubt that they fu*ked up the plastic seal given the fact that it took them three times to get the window regulators right (too early to tell they actually got it right at the 3rd try). There is a document dated on 7/2000 from BMW acknowledging the water leak and procedure to re-seal the plastic barrier, and the BMW tech failed to pay attention when they repair my car.

Pretty sure the leak isnt recent, the fact that the car smells even the AC is rarely being used and have sprayed enough Lysol. And there are signs that the left rear door is also having problem, on the bottom of the doorframe the chrome BMW is wet. Luckily both front doorframes BMW area is dry.

I urge you all to check your car after a lengthy downpour, simply pressing on the carpet to feel the wetness isnt enough. Think about it, if there is a small leak the carpet wouldnt be wet enough to be notice but enough to rust your car in 10 years.

I am planning to take the door panels apart and will take some pictures and keep you guys posted.

Registered Member
    Member No: 133358 dank788 is an unknown quantity at this point dank788's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Door seal water leak, check your cars people! long

Hi,

I have the same issue with my 5 series. How did you find out about the document on the resealing procedure? Is it available?

Thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 73612 PeterBivo is an unknown quantity at this point PeterBivo's Avatar

Yes | No

When I called BMWNA and told them about my (m)

water on the floor behind the drivers seat, they had me go to my dealer and had the leak fixed w/in an hour, no charge. BMWNA knows that there is an issue with the leaking. Call them and they'll take care of it.

blue4u

Yes | No

It easier to fix yourself.....20-30 min per door!

Do a search, for door panel removal...careful with the clips...did mine and 30% of the foam liner was no longer adhered. A little prep-solve to clean the are.....a piece of butyl rope type weatherstripping (similar to windshield stuff)....press in place with thumbs..reattach door panel (one screw 9 clips i think..DONE!

Good Luck

Registered Member
    Member No: 73612 PeterBivo is an unknown quantity at this point PeterBivo's Avatar

Yes | No

For free, let them fix it IMO.

tman

Yes | No

I don't think its the door seal i have had all of mine replaced. and my car still leaks. I think its the gasket that goes around the door. if you look closely the holes on the gasket are in the wrong spots. I believe when they installed it they put it in backwards. My leaks are comming from the bottom corner closest to the hing side of the door. There is a purposfull put hole there on the gasket but it is on the underneath of the gasket when it should be on the top, to help drain the water off and stop it from entering the car. BMW should know about this.

2k2_6speed

Yes | No

Was the replacement under warranty

or after the warranty expired? It's one thing to fix it under warranty especially knowing that there is a problem. It's another thing for them to man-up and fix it after the warranty knowing that there was a problem.

My guess is that it was fixed under warranty.

Jim Cash

Yes | No

It is not that - the problem is with the "inner" membrane. It is a dense foam plastic panel that completely seals the door frame on the inside - just behind the inside door panel.

That membrane "must" be thoroughly sealed around its entire perimeter to stop water, air and noise from getting into the cabin from the door frame.

The critical part for water on the back floor is sealing along the lower part.
    Even if the 2 door drain slots (openings in the metal door frame at the front and back - up behind the lower door seal strip) are clear to drain water you can still get the door filling with water when at road speeds due to air pressures. But if it only happens when the car is sitting in the rain then it is water running down the windows and "through the door" that is getting onto that membrane and flowing inward if it is not sealed to the door frame.

Cheers
    Jim Cash

ali.

Yes | No

Re: When I called BMWNA and told them about my (m)

Crusader

Yes | No

I repaired this a couple months ago ...

You have to remove the door trim panel (one screw behind the door lever), pop the clips along front, bottom and rear edge, then lift to remove.

The inner high density foam panel (vapor seal) is held with a 3M window sealant (comes in 15' lengths 1/4" in diameter). The OEM sealant dries out and loses its grip. A gap opens up and water POURS in.

The maintenance manual suggests you remove the vapor seal, use 3M adhesive remover to clean off the old sealant, and reinstall with fresh sealant. I just cleaned everything up and applied a new bead of sealant. No leaks!!! (OBTW, the material is sticky and nasty ... it'll be a somewhat messy job.)

While you're in there, remove the rear door ash trays.

TR

Yes | No

Also you need to check the-

sunroof vents as they become stopped up and cause rear floorboard flooding. I replaced my membranes and still had the issue, turned out it was the vents. Very easy to cure, run trimmer string down them, front and back. Search for how to on forum. My doors are always wet on the bottom when raining but the water does not intrude to the inside.

Registered Member
    Member No: 115243 deputer is on a distinguished road deputer's Avatar

Yes | No

Many reports here of the same identical issue.

I had the same problem. I took off the door panel, used silicone sealant all around the inner seal, then duct taped over that for insurance.

It is easy to check for this problem. Have someone pour water on the window from a hose, and if you are sitting in the back seat, you will see the water run into the car! The water comes into the door frame, runs down the inner seal, and if it not properly attached to the door frame, it drains INTO the car, not back into the door and out the drain holes on the bottom of the door.2003 525iT, Silver/Black, non-sport, 18" Staggered BBS RC wheels.

2000 540 6 speed, Biarritz Blue/Sand, M5 shifter, XM Radio Valentine One/Stealth One hardwired in, 17" style 5 wheels
    Sold but never fogotten.

2001 525i, stock, sold

[IMG]]

WATER LEAK FIXED

Yes | No

SOGGY CARPETS, WINDOWS, STEREO GOING WRONG?

TAKE OUT THE POLLEN FILTERS (VERY EASY) THEN TAKE OUT THE POLLEN FILTER BASES (EVEN EASIER) UNDER NEATH YOU WILL FIND TWO LARGE POCKETS, ONE SIDE WILL CONTAIN THE "EBOX" THE OTHER WILL CONTAIN THE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER.

AT THE BOTTOM OF THESE POCKETS ARE DRAIN HOLES - THEY NEED UNBLOCKING, ALONG WITH ALL THE WATER DRAINS WHICH ARE ON THE INNER WINGS AND IN THE POLLEN FILTERS.

THIS IS SUCH AN EASY FIX.

HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE!!!!

rodog23

Yes | No

Registered Member
    Member No: 115243 deputer is on a distinguished road deputer's Avatar

Yes | No

I dealt with this on 2 of my E39s...........

I not only used some silicone sealant, but also used duct tape all the way around the perimeter to make sure I would not have to deal with that again. Good luck and thanks for warning everyone else about such a common occurance.
    2002 540 6 speed, Steel Blue/Black interior, totally loaded with every option, and now with built in Stealth One/Valentine 1. 18" Staggared Privat wheels. I am loving the power again!

2003 525iT, Silver/Black, non-sport, 18" Staggered BBS RC wheels. T boned and traded away.

2000 540 6 speed, Biarritz Blue/Sand, M5 shifter, XM Radio Valentine One/Stealth One hardwired in, 17" style 5 wheels
    Sold but never fogotten.

2001 525i, stock, sold

[IMG]][IMG]

Registered Member
    Member No: 172507 VinM is an unknown quantity at this point VinM's Avatar

Yes | No

Same thing happened to me as well...

I had to reseal the inner seals on both rear doors because they were leaking. Very poor design.

sktn77a

Yes | No

PLEASE DON'T TYPE IN ALL CAPS.

PLEASE DON'T TYPE IN ALL CAPS. It looks like you are shouting at people.

So your problem was wet carpet at the front of the car (driver/front passenger)?

Crusader

Yes | No

Common problem ...

There's a 3m product used to seal windshields. Get the 1/4" version of this sticky, black stuff to reseal the vapor seals.

I'd say the chances are 100% that the window regulator repair compromised them. OTOH, mine went just out of warranty and the doors had never been worked on.

f williams

Yes | No

Re: PLEASE DON'T TYPE IN ALL CAPS.

I had the same problem with my 1999 BMW 5 series. I to it back to Lauderdale BMW where I bought it and they aggressively refuse to acknowledge the problem. I then took it to Vista BMW and they found and fixed the problem but that again was temporary cause after a while it continue to leak again. Two things. First, I love my BMW but I would never, never, never buy one from Lauderdale BMW, additionally I would strongly recommend not to buy from them. It was insulting the way they behave and I had to involve the state agency, nevertheless they refused to acknowledge the problem. Second, I keep my cars for ten years and with the 2011 5 series coming out, it is time to get another one, but do I want to go through the nightmare again. I am net yet convinced that I should over look the pass horrors to get this cars. It would be like taking back your wife that cheats on you.

Registered Member
    Member No: 84289 GHueser is an unknown quantity at this point GHueser's Avatar

Yes | No

Not the only fix

Re-sealing the plastic foam barrier is not the only fix. You have to make sure that the flexible door handle cable is also completly sealed to the panel. The reason is this. Water not only gets in your door from the window, but also through the outside Door Handles. Because the outside handle is a little higher than the inside, it offers the perfect path for water to run along the cable then finally drop off after it goes through the foam barrier. In that case, it is now inside the door and will go to your carpet. There is a tiny piece of foam at the location where this cable crosses the barrier. If this is out of place after working on the door...........I guarantee you that this is likely the main culprit of water getting in. Make sure you "goo" up this area as well as the main door perimeter seal.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information