+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 106873 kdaugherty is an unknown quantity at this point kdaugherty's Avatar

Yes | No

1979 911sc targa

Registered Member
    Member No: 106873 kdaugherty is an unknown quantity at this point kdaugherty's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 1979 911sc targa

just bought sat an immaculate 1979 911sc targa that is beautiful inside and out,always wanted a 911 and couldn't pass up this price looking at the car,bought from a broker that picks up mainly porsche from all over and cleans them and resells,caught this one straight off the trailer before it was listed and cleaned up so got a deal.
    paid 7k.car has been sitting garaged for over a yr so battery was flat,jumped to hear it run and fell in love!now for the issues,put new bat in today and started it up,car had exhaust (white)smoke on throttle up pretty heavy.shut it down,restarted and car started on first crank in high idle and no exhaust!several min into running idle dropped and ran smoothly w/ a slight surge in idle up and down and exhaust returned slightly (light white smoke.)took this car around the block and the acceleration is stunning,if it's burning oil
    i've never seen a car move like this needing a rebuild.if so i got the car at a deal so i'll invest,noticed also the car had an oil leak,was told about this from the seller,saw and smelled what seemed to be oil on a hot manifold after running about 15 min.seller told me the owner he purchased it from was checking the oil in front of him w/ the engine off and cold...he suspected he over filled the car
    due to the way he was checking it.only had about 15 min to spend w/ the car today but wanted to get any opinions on the exhaust,will warm the car up tommorrow after work and check the oil to see whats up w/ that.i'm a bimmerhead w/ an 86 m3 amd 83 320 and do most work myself but this flat 6 is a little intimidating(at least untill the
    bentley and chilton manuals arrive from ebay!) any input on the exhaust would be greatly appreciated...
    k daugherty

ice

Yes | No

if the crankase was overfull you would see that in the exhaust for sure. Warm it up and check it on the stick at idle. If it's over full there is your problem

Ray Evans

Yes | No

Sounds like you've got a gem, and at a great price (paid a little over 10k for my 79 911 SC in good condition 2 years ago, with 160,000 miles on her from one of the local San Diego PCA members).

White smoke on startup after sitting for a few days seems to be normal for that year (personal experience plus similar comments from other 78-83 911 owners I've talked with), should see the smoke for 3-5 seconds then it will go away until the next time you let her sit too long. Simple solution is drive her every day... :)

Checking oil level/adding oil with the engine off seems to catch a lot of people, even some seasoned mechanics at least once. Safe bet that if the PO checked his oil with the engine off he may have not dome much of his own work - and a PPI would be strongly indicated to see what else he missed or improperly maintained. Symptoms of an overfill are a white cloud that looks like a steam locomotive, and just keep going and going. Pretty common with overfilling or filling too fast during an oil change. Easy fix is to drain and refill, also be sure to wipe out the standing oil pool inside the air box to speed up the process, then take her for a nice 30 minute run on the freeways.

On the oil leak, that unfortunately is common with the cars, but usually is more a matter of trial and error to locate the source(s). Even the best maintained 26 year old car will mark her spot, and unfortunately a complete rebuild isn't a guarantee that you'll find/fix the problem. I'd suggest you start with the lower valve covers (and if still stock, replace them with the finned turbo covers and new hardware). Also check the oil return tubes as those seem to be a common source for the drip on the heat exchangers/exhaust.

Along with the PPI, I'd strongly suggest you check 2 things straight away: 1) Under the air filter, mounted to the bottom of the air box, look for a pop off valve. 2) Carrera chain tensioner upgrade. Unfortunately the stock chain tensioner design is a well known flaw in the pre 84 911 engine design.

Suggestions: Pelican Parts. IMO well worth your time to browse their tech area as well as the general 911 catalog. http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911M_catalog.htm
    I'd start with the suggested upgrades page for ideas, then drill down into the individual areas for specific parts as needed. One thing about them, if you need something and don't see it in their catalog, call and ask them as they are fantastic and will go above and beyone to help you.

Best of luck with your new ride.

Ray Evans

tucker

Yes | No

I have owned my 1978 911sc Targa for ten years. I used it as a daily driver for the first five commuting from Maine to Ma every day. I do not reccomend driving the car in the snow with less than half a tank of gas, as steering gets a little touchy.

In regards to the smoke, it is the nature of the beast. It is common to see blue smoke upon start up after the car has been sitting due to the oil residue resulting in the flat six design.

Have fun with your car, and by all means do the Pop off valve and chain tensioners. I recently sent my car to the doctor for a complete tune up and it cost me $8,500.00 -- which is a lot of money. However, when you consider that I have done nothing to the car in the ten years of ownership other that tires, brake pads, oil changes and put about 200,000 miles on her the car is quite economical. I paid $6,000.00 for the car ten years ago. It is now mechanically perfect and waiting for my wife's approval for paint and interior.

Have fun and good luck

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information