+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 73749 jkuper is an unknown quantity at this point jkuper's Avatar

Yes | No

1998 328i - squealing noise when starting

Little history. Purchased in May as a daily driver for my wife and I, just something she can drive to work daily, etc. Got it with 132k on the clock, it now has 139k. The belts were replaced at 131,500 in March 2005. Any ideas on the cause. Once the car is running, it seems to be fine and doesn't make any noises, aside from a loud a/c compressor or compressor clutch and sqeaky steering column. Any ideas on what's causing the noise when starting?

Michael Scheid

Yes | No

Re: 1998 328i - squealing noise when starting

Search the message board for squeaking steering column. My first suspect would be the brand of belt you are useing, then the alternator belt tentioner. The best way to check is to take the A/C belt off and see if the problem persists. if it has gone away then you probably need a pully and the a/c belt tentioner re-packed with grease<-- very common.
    -cheers

Registered Member

Yes | No

what does ac have to do with alternator?

Michael Scheid

Yes | No

A/C has little to do with the alternator

I can't say I understand where you are coming from? I gave instructions for determining if the noise is coming from the A/C compressor belt or the alternator belt (also known as the "main belt"). Why would that insinuate the A/C and alternator have a connection?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Oh...I think A/C noise has nothing to do with the

belt, any belt. The squealing noise is there if ac is on or off. The A/C noise is definitely not a belt-like noise. it's more like choppy-chatty noise.

I think I misunderstood your post...

Registered Member
    Member No: 118203 shawster is an unknown quantity at this point shawster's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 1998 328i - squealing noise when starting

only at starting? I'd head to the air pump. I took mine off and hit it with WD40, no squeal.

if you take it off remember to hold the rubber bolts with a wrench.

Michael S

Yes | No

Re: Oh...I think A/C noise has nothing to do with

If the noise if only heard when the starter is spinning, I would suspect a problem with the flywheel, starter or the plate that sits between the engine and transmission (on manuals). Other than that, I couldn't say unless I knew the area of the motor the sound is coming from.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information