+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 131721 K535i is an unknown quantity at this point K535i's Avatar

Yes | No

help on audim mirror installation on 92 535

Shayne and Q:
    Today I was able to find a spare connector above headliner
    , it is a yellow one with three pins inside. on the other hand, the connector of an E38 auto dim rear view mirror has more pins, they will not connectors because they are of the same type, pins vs pins.

I check the voltage when key in ign position is between 1,2 and 1, 3

PIN postion s of spare connector
    1 2 3

my quesion is can I use this spare connector with some adaptor so that I can connect the mirror to the spare connector ?
    how to remove the old mirror, do I need remove the base also. I though I can unscrew it and remove it from base, is this the right procedure to follow?

I did fish for a connector that Q has, but got no luck.

I appreciate your inputs before,

Registered Member
    Member No: 3765 squenton is an unknown quantity at this point squenton's Avatar

Yes | No

the mirror and its arm should twist off the base..

just grip the arm and twist at about a 45 degree angle (left or right) and the arm should come off the base. The base stays attached to the windshield. (in pic below, you can see the mirror and arm...the arrows pointing to the part nbr location is also where you slip the mirror over the base to twist it back on or off. )

You may want to check over on the other message board...I believe Don McAdams posted a pin out just the other day in the discussion over there about the auto dimming mirror.

[IMG]http://*******.com/9hx6y[/IMG]

Q
    1995 525iT~~~~~~~~~~1997 740iL
    Build Date: 11/95~~~~~~Build Date: 03/97
    Alpine White III~~~~~~~~Arctic Silver

my Qsilver7 cardomain site

Registered Member

Yes | No

help on connector

Q, Thanks for your tip. even I onto that far yet, I appreciate your help.

The problem is that the spare connector (male)
    available from the car has three pins. while the connector on my new
    bought E38 auto dim (it is for 740 95/01) is also of male type with 7 pins, configured like the following diagram

xx x
    x xxx

I remember that you mentioned that your connector on the auto dim
    is of the female type, so you can connected them, lucky you!

I believe the one I found is for the E34 auto dim, it is unlikely to me that there is another connector hiden above the headliner.

do you think I can get a adaptor from radioshack, two female connectors one fit for three pin male and the other for 7 pins male? TIA!

Registered Member
    Member No: 8983 mmm635 is an unknown quantity at this point mmm635's Avatar

Yes | No

I just installed an auto dimming mirror...

in my 635 and did not have nay type of connector. So, I just found a positive and a ground wire and used some connectors I had from a hard drive connector. I crimped the connector to the wire with a crimp connector. The interesting thing is that the little connector from the hard drive connector fits perfectly (enough friction) to the male connectors found on the mirror, and in your case the car harness as well. It might be unorthodox, but it works quite well. Once I crimped the wire and the connector together, I used some black shrink tubin to clean it up and make it look half decent. In my case, you really cannot see much of the wire, and in your case it should be the same. The only difference between your installationand mine is that you will need to put these female connectors on both ends so that you can connect the mirror to your car harness. Additionally, you will need (if you want to) to hook up the reverse wire which will turn off the mirror when you engage the car in reverse. This is what the third wire on your car harness is for.

I have included two pitures of wha tthe connector on the wire looks like. I hope this helps and has not frustrated you even more. I attempted to install another unit in my 540, but it was very frustrating. The mirror I was using had 9 connectors and were in different positions than the ones on my car harness. My 540 has the central locking and alarm in the mirror and was not compatible with the mirror I was trying to use. I believe Johntee540 (?) might have (may have the wrong person)done the retrofit on his 540 with the same mirror. He had to take out the CLS or alram module and transplant it into the new mirror in order for it to work with the factory alarm. When I connected the mirror to my harness, the alarm would continuously emit a signal. Anyway (I am rambling), this does not apply in your case.

I hope the info helps.

Michel
    1986 635csi Arctic Blue/Pearl Beige 5-Speed
    1994 540iA Jet Black/Black (Kid Hauler)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Here are the pics...

1986 635csi Arctic Blue/Pearl Beige 5-Speed

Registered Member

Yes | No

Q to to mmm635..

thank fo the info, that is very encouraging to me. How many pins do you have on the male connector of the retrofit ? which three pins are used to be hooked to the harness of your 635?

Let me explain my situation a liitle bit more. my car harness's connector is of tiny, male type connector with three little pins inside. I checked the voltage between 1 and 3 is 12 v when the ign is on. so it has power and ground.

on the other hand, I am not sure how to connect my three pins from the car harness to the three out of seven pins of the auto dim mirror. Before I install it to my car, I want to make sure which three pins of auto dim I need & must hook it up! clearly the autodim connector has more options than just auto dimming.

I dont want to try it at the first time on my car and mess it up.
    regarding the keyless entry, I do have keyless entry, but it has nothing to do with the mirror. I said this since I know that the stock mirror has no wire connected to it.

Shayne

Yes | No

Re: Q to to mmm635..

I had the same problem and used 635's solution. I simply connected positive to a hot wire from the interior lamps and ground to a brown wire.
    The other wire is for the reverse cancel... when you place the car in reverse the mirror goes full bright no matter what the lighting differential to the sensors is.
    Your mirror must have more features than just dim and cancel... are the pins used? Are there 7 wires going into the mirror?

What colours are the wires on the car side and what colours are the wires in your mirror? The harness connector inside the mirror unclips and you can pull the wires out somewhat to see the colours and number...

Shayne
    525iTA
    533iM

Registered Member
    Member No: 105934 Oberon is an unknown quantity at this point Oberon's Avatar

Yes | No

some wiring diagrams!

This may help - I found a site that has wiring digrams on various different BMW models.

This is the site:
    http://www.autolib.diakom.ru:8001/CA...NG%20DIAGRAMS/

And for your convenience, here's the electrochromatic mirror wiring diagrams:

1995 740i
    1995 525i

The diagram from the 525 should be correct for your car, though I couldn't find a useful diagram on that site for a 535 (or even a '92 525).

It seems the E38 mirror (according to the diagram) doesn't have the reverse-defeat connector, while the E34 does. If you can open up the mirror and check the wire colours, like Shayne suggests, perhaps you could find a 7th wire connected (over and above what the diagram indicates) and it'll be the reverse cable.

Jerome
    1992 525iA
    Cape Town, South Africa

Registered Member

Yes | No

additional pics

Ok, on another site I found diagrams for the E39, which seem to correspond to the E38 pinouts in the PDFs I posted above. This one covers all 10 pins that the E39 seems to have, and should perhaps help in finding the reverse pin on your E38 mirror:

Pinout diagram:

Schematic:

In case the pictures don't show up, I got them from the following site:
    http://www.baso.no/load.asp?id=85

The links to the pics are at the bottom under 'assorted'.

Hope this helps!

Jerome
    1992 525iA
    Cape Town, South Africa

Registered Member

Yes | No

The male connector on the...

mirror that I used were the brown (ground) and red (power). I did not need the reverse connector. I am not sure what colors the wires are on your mirror, but BMW usually uses the same color designations for ground and power. The reverse wire designation will need to be looked up on your wiring diagrams for the model year. I do not know what they are, but I can look on my diagrams and see if the color wire matches the leftover (third) wire in your case.

You will only need three of the pins on your car harness in order to get ground, power, and the reverse function. You will not need the other pins - they are for other functions on the later cars. Basically, you will have three wires about 6 inches long (always leave more wire thank necessary just in case). Each wire will have one of the connectrs (as shown in picture)on each end for a total of six between all three wires. Once you have figured out the function of each pin, then you will be able to plug them in and the mirror should work.

You are lucky that your alarm system is not connected through your mirror, otherwise it would make the whole installation much more complex. This is why I gave up until some time in the future and I am ready to tackle it on my car.

Good luck,

Michel1986 635csi Arctic Blue/Pearl Beige 5-Speed

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: some wiring diagrams!

Many thanks Jerome,

Is is true :
    (1)there is only one ground wire for the unit.
    (2) two wires for each side mirror, one for the motor of mirror, the other one for autodim sensor or for mirror heater?

This may seem off topic, how come they hook the wires through rear view mirror ? are there three connectors hooked up to my e38 mirror ?

I do have a question, my car does not have autodim option, in the diagram you showed to me, a 7.5 A fuse is needed for the rear view mirror circuit, do I need find the
    FUSE slot reserved for the autodim mirror(maybe it is not empty and not used) and install a fuse for safety reason? I have not heard anyone mentioned this...

This is really a nice board, a lot of very warm hearted people, thanks alot!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: some wiring diagrams!

ok, but you said you found the 3-wire connector under your headliner, so you can just use that. The "hot" and ground wires are all you'll need to get it working, and the 3rd is for the reverse signal.

I don't know what circuit it draws from (i.e. which fuse) but that shouldn't matter. I'd have to look at the wiring diagrams in my Bentley's, I just can't post the diagrams from my Bentley's. Usually these things share fuses, so you'd have the fuse in place already. Just hook up a mutlimeter to the ground and 'hot' wires in your 3-wire connector and turn the ignition on and look for 12V. If you get it then you're set. You can also test the reverse signal by putting the multimeter across the reverse and ground wires. You should read voltage (probably 12V) across that when the ignition is on and the gear selector is in reverse, and no voltage when it's not in reverse. If these things behave as expected then you only have to concern yourself with which pin on the 3-wire connector goes into which on the 7-pin one on the mirror.

My guess is that the two wires going to each of the E38 side mirrors are to control the electrochromatic glass in them as well. So the main rear-view mirror has the sensor in it and will dim based on the lighting conditions, and it has outputs that will dim the side mirrors accordingly. It's got nothing to do with the side mirror motors.

Let us know how it goes.
    Jerome
    1992 525iA
    Cape Town, South Africa

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information