+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 124046 tmchow is an unknown quantity at this point tmchow's Avatar

Yes | No

Certified Pre-owned BMW, dealer can't fix problem

I purchased a 2004 BMW Z4 3rd week of August 2005 at BMW San Francisco (I live in Seattle, but flew down to buy it). I was paying for the car in full but had to sort out finances before getting a cashier's check to them. At the point of sale, I signed a financing agreement (through BMW Financial Services) as a fallback plan/cushion for the dealer with the caveat that if I paid in full within 2 weeks, they would rip up the financing agreement.

I paid in full within teh time limit and everything was good. Or so I thought.

The car is a 2004 BMW Z4 that is a "certified pre-owned" with factory warranty until 2009.

Car was delivered by an auto transport company to me in Seattle on September 10th or 11th. I started experience a weird stalling problem 2 weeks after that. Car has stalled out 3 times while I have been driving -- 2 times as I was turning onto a busy street from a parking lot and almost getting into an accident.

Every other morning, when i cold start the car, the engine shudders when it's first started, "check engine light" flashes but teh car never actually stalls. I'm not sure if these problems are related.

I have brought the car into the local BMW dealer (BMW Bellevue) twice so far and they have been unable to reproduce or fix the problem. They actually currently still have my car since last wednesday (it's been 6 days).

They tell me that there are no fault codes stored in the car and they can't reproduce the problem. They wanted to keep my car to over a series of days to investigate. They say that BMW North America technicians have been involved but w/o any luck so far.

I'm trying to figure out my options here..

1. i have no proof that my problem is actually happening other than my own word.
    2. There are no fault codes in the computer.
    3. The car has 14,500 miles on it. I bought it with 13,600 miles.
    4. Previous owner bought it less than 2 years ago from a BMW dealer

I'm not sure what recourse I have or what I shoudl do in this case.. I have a feeling they are going to tell me they cannot find the problem and they can't fix what they can't reproduce or find. I refuse to take the car as it's a safety issue (the stalling while driving).

Any advice appreciated.2004 Z4 3.0i with SMG, Navigation, Extended leather.

Registered Member
    Member No: 124046 tmchow is an unknown quantity at this point tmchow's Avatar

Yes | No

Also...

Also, just to be clear. Car was purchased in San Francisco, but I received shipment in Seattle, WA and registered in WA. I never registered it in CA.

I'm assuming the Lemon Laws of WA apply and not CA? Who would the lemon law be filed against, BMW North America, BMW San Fran or the local dealer?2004 Z4 3.0i with SMG, Navigation, Extended leather.

Green///Machine

Yes | No

Go to dealer first thing in the morning...

take the service rep and a mechanic out to the car, start it up so all 3 of you can witness the rough idle (a common trait in BMW's) on cold start up... Then take one of them on a test drive to observe the the stalling...

I'd also post your issues on the z4 board, as others may have had the same issues.

Do you have a manual transmission?

AK

Yes | No

Talk to a lemon law attorney ASAP

Although I think WA laws apply to you, in CA, if the car suffers from something that can cause a serious safety problem (and I think stalling is one of them), the number of unsuccessful repair attempts to qualify for lemon law goes down to two (from four).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information