+ Reply to Thread
    marty 528i se alpina style
    Member No: marty 528i se alpina style's Avatar

Yes | No

steering colum noise

i have a grinding dry sound on my steering when i turn the wheel it starts if i turn about half way parking ect
    sound like a worn bearing its just came for no reason

Registered Member
    Member No: 23092 SchnitzerM5 is on a distinguished road SchnitzerM5's Avatar

Yes | No

steering fluid low?donno,what do the E39 boys say?

Registered Member
    Member No: 133794 DeanJay is an unknown quantity at this point DeanJay's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: steering colum noise

Hello, I had this problem convinced it was comring from wheel area, slip ring etc. Stop! the problem is actually with steering colum and rack, don`t worry this is an easy fix! I had the same problem on my 98 Z3.
    All you need is : 1 Can of White grease, (Halfords) make sure it`s one with plastic straw attached. Drill with small bit (5-6mm)

Step One-
    Look under Bonnet to your left (Driver Side-UK) you see the steering shaft down the left from the firewall, get as close as you can spraying all the parts with grease.>Do this when the engine is cold< as you will be close to hot manifolds.

Step Two-
    In the car remove plastic panel from around steering colum (it unclips I am basing this on the Z3 fitting. Remove lower dash panel so you can get to steering colum, it is an aluminium shaft- this sounds tricky` it isn`t, and there is nothing to worry about doing this as lomg as you take care and don`t get carried away! drill a small hole through the shaft, once you have done this- place the spray can with the straw into hole and let blast! pack as much of the grease down that pipe! What you are doing is putting life back into those dried up bearings on the bottom end of the rack.

The end result is astonishing, no really, do this easy mod and you feel like your driving a new car!

Bmw Z3 2,8 Artice Silver, BBS RX2 Split Rim, Gruupe-M CAI, Strung Strut Bar, M-Coupe Nappa Leather Sport Interior Blue-Black, Custom Halo Projector Lights. The best Roadster

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information