+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mark M

Yes | No

shaking my head...what do you expect??????

It is am M car....M cars are performance. Real performance cars don't give a gawd dammnn about how comfortable you are or how much work you need to exert to drive em. Real performance cars give you the feel of the road, the clunks of the trans and vibration of the engine, the scream of the exhaust. Real performance cars do suck gas and beg to be driven hard. In your case that likely means 'work'.

Advice....sell it and go look at a plush lexus for your needs.

Mark M

Registered Member
    Member No: 96347 A-TEAM is an unknown quantity at this point A-TEAM's Avatar

Yes | No

dman? You should change your handle to dmoron.

You like your automatic 911? You're a pud.

Registered Member
    Member No: 70986 BigDM3 is an unknown quantity at this point BigDM3's Avatar

Yes | No

My two cents.

It appears to me that almost nobody on this thread has any real (and by real I mean more than say 10 days) experience with SMG. I can tell you that when I first got my M3 it was a learning experience just like anything else. Would I trade it? Absolutely not. I love it for in-town and highway driving. To me it's now just as natural as driving a manual...and that's exactly how I drive it. The "A" modes are worthless IMO. You might want to hop over to the M3 board and get opinions from those who have had SMG for quite some time. You'll find those that still prefer manual, but you will get more rounded input on SMG.

Registered Member
    Member No: 14325 Ispep is an unknown quantity at this point Ispep's Avatar

Yes | No

Sorry, I don't understand the "boy racer" tag

I take my car to the track at least once a month and SMG shines for me there. It took me some time, but now I'm completely used to its little quirks when driving on the street, so much so that people often ask if I do have an automatic since it's so smooth. So, if you buy a 500HP M5, does that makes you a "man racer?" A car with that much power that's only driven on the street seems more "boy racer" to me than a car that sees track days.

Registered Member
    Member No: 14325 Ispep is an unknown quantity at this point Ispep's Avatar

Yes | No

You can click the paddle several times and "jump"

When I'm coasting on the freeway in 6th and want to pass, I will just flick the paddle 3 times and the car jumps into 3rd without a problem. It seems like you're basing your opinion on limited experiences with SMG. If I'm in 5th and come coasting to a stop sign, the car will automatically downshift to 2nd, and then 1st without me shifting, if I want it. So, in reality, there's a lot more options in how active or passive you want to be when it comes to SMG than you seem to know.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Spot on.

Registered Member
    Member No: 56028 alevy is an unknown quantity at this point alevy's Avatar

Yes | No

HAHA

dman

Yes | No

Pack sand when you get a 911 TT finally...child.

haha!

Gnome Saying?

Yes | No

Re: Pack sand when you get a 911 TT finally...child.

moosport

Yes | No

Re: MB need BMW feel

Registered Member
    Member No: 113707 LukeL is an unknown quantity at this point LukeL's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: If you like automatics then the SMG is not for

I have SMG on my 645cic and I am on a waiting list for a M6. As many of you may have found out, you need to switch gear at about 3500 to 4000 RPM. The change should be very smooth. I've been so happy with SMG.

Registered Member
    Member No: 15347 driverdude is an unknown quantity at this point driverdude's Avatar

Yes | No

God, that car is hideous.

Registered Member
    Member No: 133227 JAL is an unknown quantity at this point JAL's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: M5 has been a mistake for Me

I've read some of the responses to my complaints about the SMG. Some of you clearly know what I'm talking about when refering to the "work" involved in driving my M5, while others seem to have been taken in by the "race car for 4" advertising slogan.

The fact is the M5 is not a race car. It's a ultra luxury car with a killer drivetrain. Otherwise, why put more creature comforts than you can buy in a Lexus, MB, etc? If I was in the market for a pure sports car, I certainly wouldn't be buying a four door sedan with air conditioned seats!

I agree with some of the instructions provided, the SMG can be finessed for a smooth drive, but as one of the posters mentioned, after a long day of work, the last thing you want to think about dealing with getting shifts right while stuck behind a line of traffic on the PCH.

Especially given the fact that this boy/man racer is loaded with all those creature comforts.

By the way, I agree with those of you who didn't go for the E55. The Benz is a rather blunt instrument, without steller handling, plus it simply can't hold a candle to the luxury of the M5.

I would appreciate any info that is out there about the 550i. While I don't want to even thinking about dumping this thing, the M5 just may not be my thing.

Registered Member

Yes | No

That was quite a zinger. You really got me.

Pack sand when you learn how to drive, finally...old man.

haha

The only thing worse than a_douchebag that thinks he's hot_**** because he drives an expensive car, is a_douchebag who has NO IDEA how to actually DRIVE his expensive car.

You should trade your performance cars in on a buick. You might find that more to your liking.

dman

Yes | No

Supposedly, 550ia will hit 0-60 in 5.1-5.2. Perform moderate Dinan suspension upgrades and you should be quite pleased. If the M3 comes with an auto (read that) and some version of "DSG", perhaps the M5 will follow in 3-4 years. Speculation. As I've said, I love my 540ia steptronic. At the end of the day, SMG is a steptronic in it's driver involvement function (not in actual technical function of course), but it's needlessly jerky. For those users who are so passionate...just get the stick for christ sakes if you want more driver involvement...dont fool yourself by getting the SMG and berating the auto/step! Moronic. The 911 TT tip is same user function as the SMG (albeit slower shifts) with wheel mounted shift buttons. I also dont like the SMG's (more so in the M5/6) not so friendly combo that must be performed when getting away at a light...press this, hold that, push this. Personally, I like the mash and go approach, to each their own. When the legs worked properly I loved a stick.

Weiser

Yes | No

HAHAHAHA! Automatic 911! HAHAHAHAHA!

CMB

Yes | No

That is sad for you!

CMB

Yes | No

hi

Registered Member

Yes | No

Huh?

"At the end of the day, SMG is a steptronic in it's driver involvement function (not in actual technical function of course), but it's needlessly jerky."

Not once you learn how to use it. I could stick you in the passenger seat and shift so smoothly you wouldn't know I changed gears aside from the sound of the engine. And I'm not talking about driving leisurely to church.

"For those users who are so passionate...just get the stick for christ sakes if you want more driver involvement...dont fool yourself by getting the SMG and berating the auto/step! Moronic."

Two different animals (SMG and Steptronic). I prefer manual by nature, and SMG gives me a "manual" with quicker shift response....except, of course, from a stop, in which case a true manual is quicker off the line given equal drivers IMO....lest they decide to dramatically up the rev limiter for launch control.

"I also dont like the SMG's (more so in the M5/6) not so friendly combo that must be performed when getting away at a light...press this, hold that, push this."

Take foot off brake, depress accelerator. Nuf said.

Registered Member

Yes | No

ATTN CLUELESS POSEURS

Isn't there a bit of irony in the fact that you yahoos are complaining about how laborious it is to drive an SMG car (NOT EVEN A CAR WITH A CLUTCH...ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS PULL SOME LOUSY PADDLES) in traffic, yet you see no folly in wanting to chug along at 5 mph in bumper to bumper traffic with a 500 HP, 10 mpg beast of a car.

I bet it is totally awesome to smoke some dude at a traffic light, that one time a month when you actually find enough open road to run to redline in first gear! I bet that totally feeds your fragile little ego.

Stop complaining and get yourself a Buick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information