+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered Member
    Member No: 171085 luauboy is an unknown quantity at this point luauboy's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Catalytic converter replacement with Magnaflow

A quick question for everyone on this thread. Who actually manufactures the OE cats for BMW? Is it a European company? US based? I know Magnaflow is a very popular choice - but heat dispersion (including the OE heat shields) would seem to be a key component of the operational aspect of the sensors, OBD and fuel delivery system, wouldn't it?

Like DavidC - the 'rattle' has reared it's head - and (1) of my O2's is now 'reporting' erratically. I'd like to make sure that if I replace the cats/sensors and any other 'impacted' exhaust components - that I can at least be assured that if I choose non-OEM - that any other vehicle components that may have been 'specifically' engineered to accomodate heat, vibration, moisture etc ... based on the OE cats -- isn't going to rear it's ugly head at some futre data.

Thx in advance.

2K 740i Sport
    Blk/Tan

Registered Member
    Member No: 78269 claudio512 is an unknown quantity at this point claudio512's Avatar

Yes | No

THERE SEVERAL BMW OE MANUFATURES

Registered Member
    Member No: 82273 GJH74AU is an unknown quantity at this point GJH74AU's Avatar

Yes | No

Claudio,

Thanks for the great posts on replacement cats.

Two questions: you recommend the 94006's with a 2 1/2" diamter. This is one size bigger than my original pipes (2")on my '98 E38. Per your picture, this enables you to slide the new cat over the existing exhaust pipe.

Why are most of the pictures missing from the posts? Looking for the picture on cutting out the original cats.

Thanks,

Greg

Peter

Yes | No

Just to add my 10 cents worth on this ever emerging discussion, I replaced my cats on the 740 some three years ago. The problem was a rattle only, OEM'S were quoted at 5K AUS so i opted for a pair of Magnaflow 94006. easy installation and did not replace the O2 sensors. Have never experienced any problems infact one would never know the difference unless they looked under the car. The car was sold about two years ago and the new owner still keeps in touch with me, he loves the car and has had no problems either with engine performance or any thing related to the exhaust system.
    Oh btw I'm the guy who provided Claudio with the photos of the OEM cat cut open...

Registered Member
    Member No: 78269 claudio512 is an unknown quantity at this point claudio512's Avatar

Yes | No

Thank you for the open cat picture...

"Keep Right, Pass Left. It's the Law."

Unregistered

Yes | No

@Claudio Will this replacement work for my 97' e38 740iL???

hey claudio i need to do this work on my 97' e38 740iL soon will the magnaflow 94006 work on my beamer???

Quote Originally Posted by claudio512 View Post
    The OE [original equipment] I.D. is required to exhaust gases same rate [Magnaflow part no. 94006]. There is no need to exceed OE specs.

... la vendeta dolce!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.68.186.176

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information