+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 78269 claudio512 is an unknown quantity at this point claudio512's Avatar

Yes | No

Catalytic converter replacement with Magnaflow

The OE [original equipment] I.D. is required to exhaust gases same rate [Magnaflow part no. 94006]. There is no need to exceed OE specs.

... la vendeta dolce!!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 40288 rdcosta is an unknown quantity at this point rdcosta's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Catalytic converter replacement with Magnaflow

Hi,

I need to do this job shortly.

Can you provide more details on the work:

where was it done
    how much were the cats
    was the exhaust dropped to do the work
    how were the cats aligned with the existing exhaust

etc.

Thanks for your help,

Rob

Registered Member
    Member No: 78269 claudio512 is an unknown quantity at this point claudio512's Avatar

Yes | No

First, need to remove O2 sensors to avoid heating them up [do not cut pipe to close to O2 sensor holes or you will make new holes to screw O2 sensors]; second, cut old cats using acetylene torch. You will need an additional 6 2 I.D. pipe, cut in halfs. Slide new cats into the exhaust plus pipe, use electric arc to weld new cats and pipe in place. Look at the pictures. Perhaps, there is exhaust shop in your neighborhood willing to do the job if you do not have tools for the job. [WARNING! do not use clamps to reconnect cats because it is dangerous and will leak exhaust gases, which are dangerous to anyones health inside the car].

Here is where to cut old cats:

... la vendeta dolce!!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks,

Know anyone in Chicago who can do it?

Rob

Registered Member

Yes | No

There are few folks [shops] on Cicero... or any exhaust shop will do and all they need to know are the the parts to install, which are two Magnaflow part no. 94006. Ask for price.

... la vendeta dolce!!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks,

Did you have your car done in the Chicago area?

Rob

Registered Member
    Member No: 171085 luauboy is an unknown quantity at this point luauboy's Avatar

Yes | No

A quick question for everyone on this thread. Who actually manufactures the OE cats for BMW? Is it a European company? US based? I know Magnaflow is a very popular choice - but heat dispersion (including the OE heat shields) would seem to be a key component of the operational aspect of the sensors, OBD and fuel delivery system, wouldn't it?

Like DavidC - the 'rattle' has reared it's head - and (1) of my O2's is now 'reporting' erratically. I'd like to make sure that if I replace the cats/sensors and any other 'impacted' exhaust components - that I can at least be assured that if I choose non-OEM - that any other vehicle components that may have been 'specifically' engineered to accomodate heat, vibration, moisture etc ... based on the OE cats -- isn't going to rear it's ugly head at some futre data.

Thx in advance.

2K 740i Sport
    Blk/Tan

Registered Member
    Member No: 82273 GJH74AU is an unknown quantity at this point GJH74AU's Avatar

Yes | No

Claudio,

Thanks for the great posts on replacement cats.

Two questions: you recommend the 94006's with a 2 1/2" diamter. This is one size bigger than my original pipes (2")on my '98 E38. Per your picture, this enables you to slide the new cat over the existing exhaust pipe.

Why are most of the pictures missing from the posts? Looking for the picture on cutting out the original cats.

Thanks,

Greg

Registered Member

Yes | No

Cut-open OE catalytic converter

The picture provided by Peter C. [Australia...]. To cut open a 4 grinder with 1 mm steel cutting blade was used. According to Peter, It took a couple of minutes and very interesting to see differences between the OE and after market cat types. The OE has 3 solid ceramic brick's about 100mm (4inch) long with spacer collars between and held in place with a steel braid and wrapped with fibrous material that appears to be impregnated with granules of "Gold, as the Magnaflow has only two ceramic bricks of 1 thickness, not sure what the precious metals are? Hoping the information answers a few questions. Thanks mate for providing the picture and info.

Gday

... la vendeta dolce!!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 121608 vladlen1969 is an unknown quantity at this point vladlen1969's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: CE Light on with new Magnaflows

Installed new Magnaflows 94006's one month ago at Meineke (700 miles) CE light came on last night. Checked the code: Cyl 5 - 8 cat deficiency and the saga continues. Nothing beats OEM.

Jim
    1997 740iL
    Built 2/97

Registered Member
    Member No: 133276 technobuff is an unknown quantity at this point technobuff's Avatar

Yes | No

Jim,

Did you follow Claudio's detailed instruction on the cut off points on the old CAT, the weld points and additional exhaust piping material welded to the new Magnaflow CAT? Did you install new pre-cat and post cat O2 sensors?

Registered Member
    Member No: 121608 vladlen1969 is an unknown quantity at this point vladlen1969's Avatar

Yes | No

All was cut and installed as described, all 4 sensors were replaced about 1 year ago or 7,000 miles..

Registered Member
    Member No: 133276 technobuff is an unknown quantity at this point technobuff's Avatar

Yes | No

Jim,

I am having a little bit of a disconnect. How could you have known of the complete procedure if the Claudio's original post on Magnaflow 94006 replacement was dated 11/06/05?

Please clarify....

Registered Member

Yes | No

If you search the archives this issue has come up many times before, and installation procedure was already outlined with the most suitable aftermarket cats for our purposes. The latest posts, thanks to Claudio who added pictures.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Which magnaflow model is on the car? It has to be similar specs cat and using other with smaller I.D. [inner diameter] means decreasing or slowing down exhaust flow. The inner diameter should be 2 1/2". How long ago did you replaced O2 sensors? What type of spark plugs are on the engine? I have over 2,000+ miles and no problems and it has been checked at inspection station and passed twice. So, provide complete details to understand problem.

... la vendeta dolce!!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Claudio, the cats are magnaflows 94006 with the i/o 2 1/2". All 4 O2 sensors were replaced about 8,000 miles ago. The O2 sensors were removed prior to cutting and welding process. The plugs were replaced by dealer at 100K service would assume using the Bosch OEM's. I have cleared the ce light (indicating 5-8 cat deficiency) and have driven about 400 miles since without re-occurance.

97 740iL

Registered Member

Yes | No

Provide details on your including type of spark plugs and fuel you are using... without details I cannot provide feedback. Also, you mentioned to have replaced O2 sensor a year ago. Here is your link: http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e38/7213543-1.html

... la vendeta dolce!!!

Unregistered

Yes | No

@Claudio Will this replacement work for my 97' e38 740iL???

hey claudio i need to do this work on my 97' e38 740iL soon will the magnaflow 94006 work on my beamer???

Quote Originally Posted by claudio512 View Post
    The OE [original equipment] I.D. is required to exhaust gases same rate [Magnaflow part no. 94006]. There is no need to exceed OE specs.

... la vendeta dolce!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.68.186.176

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information