+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 133579 dannyyyboyyy is an unknown quantity at this point dannyyyboyyy's Avatar

Yes | No

Carrera vs. Carrera 4 vs. Carrera S

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to Porsche. I'm planning on putting in a order at the beginning of the year for a new 911 and am having trouble deciding on the precise car. One that I will likely keep for the rest of my life.

If you anyone could give me an insight on thier opinions of the C, C4, and CS, I would great appreciate it.

I'm a current Audi driver and love the Quattro system, however, does the four wheel drive compromise any performance. Also, can anyone recommend a dealership of thier perference in the LA area?

Thanks
    -D

Registered Member
    Member No: 133587 amilgarcia is an unknown quantity at this point amilgarcia's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Carrera vs. Carrera 4 vs. Carrera S

Rusnak Porsche in Thousand Oaks, they have always been great to deal with.

GDC

Yes | No

Just ordered one from Los Angeles Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills. Delivery anticipated in March 2006. So far the dealer has been great. The maserati guys there are jerks but Robert Grant at Porsche is knowledgable and helpful. One scam I have heard in L.A. (Rusnak was mentioned by name) is that when your car is finally built and shipped it is modified by the dealer with Lo-Jack, Paint protector and sometimes there were "price increases" even beyond those things that you did not order. Your car is sitting in front of you to your specs, you have been counting the days and now they've got you nailed. Pay or wait another 4-6 months. That is bad business. My dealer put it in writing that he will not do any such thing, make yours do it too.

This is my first porsche too and here is what I was advised for a L.A. based car. 4wd is unnecessary in this climate. It adds weight and it slows the car down. Rear wiper is not necessary because the aerodynamics of the car push rain off the rear window. I would also recommend the navigation for when you are stuck on the freeway and want a shortcut through a strange neighborhood.

My configuration
    2006 997S Black/Black
    Manual transmission
    Sports Chrono Plus
    DVD navigation
    heated seats (it's L.A. but the wife gets cold)
    Bose HE sound
    Self dimming mirrors
    666 sim car phone module
    Sport shifter
    Sport Adaptive seats
    Colored Wheel Caps

See you in L.A. traffic. How fast 0-12mph?
    G

Kilmer

Yes | No

I drove them all on the track at the Porsche Driving School in Birmingham , AL and decided to order a C4S. I liked the acceleration out of the turns and the added grip the C4 provides. The C4S gives the driver more control and grip in the turns than the C2. I find it difficult to lose the back end in the C4 vs. the C2. I do not drive in the rain or snow so I do not have any opinion on the C4's performance in poor weather. I will receive my 2006 997 C4S Cab in December and I will let you know how the new model performs. All this being said, I believe the 4S is a great car and worth the extra costs for the S and the 4. Good Luck!

Registered Member
    Member No: 133579 dannyyyboyyy is an unknown quantity at this point dannyyyboyyy's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks for the help. I'm moving to LA at the end of the month and have only heard of the traffic horror stories, so I'll definitely keep the NAV option some consideration.

Registered Member
    Member No: 93254 Edgy01 is an unknown quantity at this point Edgy01's Avatar

Yes | No

If you're going to be LA based then the 4 is overkill. I've been driving 911s since 1977 and really know and like the way they handle,--which is quite different in the quatro version. Sure, they are a little more to handle, but that is part of the reason the 911 is popular,--a little squirly, but not something every idiot can (or should)drive. Driving needs to stay fun,--and not so overly controlled that you're no longer in control. Go with the 997/2. (My order for a 997S Cab is in with a May delivery in Europe.

dan
    SBarb

JML

Yes | No

I've had both the C2 and C4S (2002) and just ordered a 997 C4S Cab, black/black adaptive sp seats, sp chrono, full leather (seat backs too) naviagion, bose, X51, carrera sp. wheels.

My feeling: once you've experienced the pull of a all-wheel out of a turn, especially going up a hill around a turn, you won't go back. The extra wt is not noticible and the handling is worth it. why else on the turbo? don't think twice. an added plus: the wider rear is AWESOME. You get higher wheel arches and a wider rear which gives the car an amazing wedge shape. At my dealership, there is a 997S, black, next to a 997C4S, also black, and the difference is amazing, get the all wheel drive, and its only 6100 more.

also, get the adaptive sp. seats, short shift and sp. exhaust.

jml

997C4S Cab
    2002 996 C4S
    2002 996
    2001 Boxtster
    1997 911 Cab
    (1987 944)

SA_Gator

Yes | No

I went from a 2004 Audi S4 to 2005 997 Carrera...

and the difference is quite noticeable. The 997 was my first RWD sports car having owned 3 quattro Audis previously. You could drive the S4 hard without much thought, as it was practically impossible to lose the rear end - even in hard rain. I oversteer the Carrera on a daily basis - sometimes when I'm not even trying to drive it hard. Initially, it was quite unnerving and subconsiously got me "babying" the car, but after 11 months with the car I'm learning how to drive it and starting to command the oversteer out of turns. Another huge difference between the two cars is straight line acceleration. The 997 is clearly faster than the Audi, but I still haven't acclimated to spinning the rears and the feeling of lightness of the front end and some loss of directional control under hard acceleration. People used to driving RWD toys might scoff at this but I'm thinking about trading up to the 4S or even trading down to the Cayman S. The point of this - if you're very used to Quattro, you might want to drive the Carrera 2 and 4S hard before making a final decision.

Registered Member
    Member No: 105093 Stockinv is an unknown quantity at this point Stockinv's Avatar

Yes | No

I'm going to get a 2nd car. How would a 4S manual perform in the snow? Is it a reliable option for me if I need a bad weather car?
    It only snows here 4-5 times a year. Or would the tiptronic be a better choice?

Registered Member
    Member No: 134075 happy911 is an unknown quantity at this point happy911's Avatar

Yes | No

They are both great cars. First of all you need to determine how the car will be driven. Will it be a daily driver where you will be subjected to inclement weather, including snow. Do you live in the south? Do you like to drift your car in lonely corners on warm days? Here's the deal: the C4 will grab like a scalded in cat, using all four wheels (25% torque is transfered to the front wheels and 75% to rear) to get you around corners, up hills and scramble to grab snow. The C2 will allow for drift in the rear (especially if you have the S) in corners, up hills and even on straight away roads, a traditional characteristic of these fantastic cars. I am assuming you push your car on ocassion. I would not want to drive a C2 in the snow because it has so much torque, but then I wouldn't want anything other than my C2 (not my daily driver).

997 S, Cab - Texas

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information