+ Reply to Thread
    kk

Yes | No

post 1200 miles break in done.

First the bad.

-Find out that my car's vibration is caused by damage done to control arm and bushing during assembly. Since M5 is so new and my car was the 1st one service by the dealer, no parts are available off the shelf. Then again, I don't think control arm is something that a dealer would carry. So another trip to dealer is needed.

Good part-

I was finally able to use launch control and full throttle in P500 mode. This is thing is fast. Unlike my E55, which will snap your head backward during hard launch. The M5's launch is much more gentle (probably due to lack of low end torque). However, with RPM build up along with speed, the M5 simply just pulls harder and harder. I was way past legal speed at 2nd gear at 8000RPM. The pull is simply amazing on the top end.

The E55 on the other hand tends to lose steam as RPM climbs. Both car are fast but acheive the speed very different from each other.

EDC at stiffest setting is too much for everyday driving. You will feel every single bump on the road, no matter how small it is. This is like go-kart on the street. So my recommendation would be leaving EDC at soft at all times except for track use.

Bluetooth and voice command is extremely easy to use and is far better system than MB's comand interface. (I never upgrade the comand in MB to voice control. But i have heard that it is good feaure). The new navi is actually quiet easy to use and very powerful.

Compare to japanese navi, BMW's navi's function is on par. The only gripe that i have with BMW navi is the menu structure could be done better. However, the huge screen with a help screen on the side is quiet nice. This is an advantage for BMW. In lexus for example, the screen size is smaller and with split screen setup, you lose quiet a bit of map in the screen. BMW professional navi (std in US), allows the map to stay in the main screen, and you can change the sub screen to arrow direction. Plus with HUD, all intrusction are cleared presented in front of you. I now rank BMW navi ahead of acura/lexus because it is so much easier to see and use. Although both acura/lexus will trump BMW navi in terms of search function. There is really no comparison with E55's navi.

Gas mileage has not been great. But this is expected. But i do have couple gripes about the M5.

1. Small gas tank- M5 drinks gas. But to give it such a small tank is such a bad combination. I am dipping into reserves at 160 miles or so. Constant fill up bugs me.

2. No trunk closer- I loved this option on the E55. Don't know what BMW is thinking by not offering this.

3. Lack of low end torque. This thing drive so much like my e46 M3. No low end punch until I rev it. But if i rev it, I will probably end up in jail for excessive speed. Unlike my M3 and E55, I could rev it a little without being too much over the speed limit. This is not the case with M5. It is frustrate to drive the M5 because the car begs you to drive it harder, but you can't do it if you want to keep your license. This is beyond frustration.

If i have to pick one car between M5 or E55. I will take M5 easily. M5 is a much more fun car. However, as a daily driver, I will probably take the E55. E55 is so much less involving to drive, but for everyday use sometime less involving is a good thing. Plus the E55's torque is simply amazing and addicting.

I will probably post another review soon after my front control arm gets replaced.

Registered Member
    Member No: 29347 jgrant is an unknown quantity at this point jgrant's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: post 1200 miles break in done.

I can only get S5 in mine. Have you tried S6? How much different is it?

Thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 112464 schow is an unknown quantity at this point schow's Avatar

Yes | No

Nice review...Thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 11051 bmwlotus is an unknown quantity at this point bmwlotus's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Only about 160 miles per fill up!!

Wow, that is pretty bad. For some, that will mean filling her up every other day or so. What a pain that would be for me.

Registered Member
    Member No: 37721 Ed_Healey is an unknown quantity at this point Ed_Healey's Avatar

Yes | No

I find it handy to stop every hour or so to

stretch my legs and fill 'er up.

Just kidding. The range is rather poor at decent cruising speeds, and I swear I could see the needle moving toward empty, but it didn't really bother me that much.

That is the beauty of living in Germany. The petrol is about 7 bucks a gallon, but we can burn it up as fast as we like.

kk

Yes | No

S6 can be accessed through the

M-drive setting menu.

BMW did not disable the M mode button. So you can program the M button to use S6, even though you are not suppose to use it.

kk

Yes | No

one more clarification. S6 i believe is not

allowed during break in.

(I never confirmed this, during my 1200 miles break in, I simply pre-program the M-button).

To access S6, disable DSC. Than you can select S6 (same way as seleccting the S5, just simply push it one more time).

S6 or S5 the difference is not that big.

Registered Member
    Member No: 37721 Ed_Healey is an unknown quantity at this point Ed_Healey's Avatar

Yes | No

Shut off the DSC and you'll get it.

Mr. Mr.

Yes | No

on the trunk closing issue..

I read in a product manual for the M5 that starting with early spring 2006 production an option for soft close doors will be added. Maybe this will include the trunk (convenience package?)

Registered Member
    Member No: 95181 xlover is an unknown quantity at this point xlover's Avatar

Yes | No

trunk closer located attached to your shoulder

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 71224 JIO is an unknown quantity at this point JIO's Avatar

Yes | No

S5 is also not allowed during break-in

kk

Yes | No

oh well. No one told me that and there

was no mentioning of that in the sticker.

Plus i did not get my manual until i am almost done with break in.

oops!

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 71224 JIO is an unknown quantity at this point JIO's Avatar

Yes | No

For the US models it doesn't mention not......

using S5....only S6. I have a copy of the Euro owner's manual and it says no S5 or S6....go figure.

Either way, you're fine.

Registered Member
    Member No: 103164 GeezTech is an unknown quantity at this point GeezTech's Avatar

Yes | No

It is selectable before 1200 miles

FIND THE PROBLEM BEFORE BUYING $$$$$$$ PARTS

Any information may be true or incorrect depending on your perception of said information

"Note: Anytime I post I am only talking about USA cars unless otherwise noted. So please don't hammer me on some stupid European detail that wasn't supposed to be here in the first place."

'87 325is The best ever
    ALUMINUM BUMPER APPRECIATION ASSOCIATION (ABAA)
    Membership ID (00302)
    Joined September 14, 2005

Registered Member
    Member No: 119840 M6OpusX is an unknown quantity at this point M6OpusX's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I find it handy to stop every hour or so to

I posted in another thread that I get 12 MPG in city driving and 18 MPG in interstate driving. The gas tank as I believe has an 18 gallons capacity, with a range of 250 miles - as I experienced on my first long drive this week. This is not that bad considering the power and performance the M5 offers. The distance from my house to the hotel I allways stay in Atlanta is 225 miles - verified by my M5, 645ci, 545i, 745i, and MB SLK 350. Only my Suburban gave me a different distance, 251 miles.

Every time I fill-up each of my cars I reset the "range" option in Navigation. The M5 shows a range of 250 miles, which I believe is accurate based on my experience. The M5 is still in the break-in period, with 855 miles. I will report on my MPG experience once teh 1200 and 3500 miles break-in is completed.
    '06 M5, Black Sapphire Metallic, Sepang Bronze Extended Leather, SMG, Heads-up Display, Premium Sound
    '05 Silver Gray Metallic 645ci, Hamman Aerodinamic Mods, M6 Wheels, Brembo Grand Turismo brakes
    '05 Titanium Silver Metallic 545i
    '04 Titanium Gray Metallic 745Li
    '03 325i Dinan
    '05 Black SLK 350 (black sheep of the family)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information