+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Key failure

Registered Member
    Member No: 103113 biffom2 is an unknown quantity at this point biffom2's Avatar

Yes | No

Key failure

One of my keys failed (would not charge). Couldn't find a way to get at the battery (the back plate seems to be just for show). $276 for a new one.

Whilst I was waiting at the service desk - One of the employees casually told me that they get about 20 a day. I replied that it's a nice little earner. He replied that they were built to fail. I sincerely doubt that that is the case, but it strikes me that it is a bit of a design flaw that entails the purchase of an entirely new key for what is most probably a duff battery.
    2001 Silver/Red

StuM

Yes | No

Re: Key failure - Resetting?

My second key has not failed, but seems to lose programming from time to time. I've had BMW reset it twice now. Does anyone recall the re-sync'ing procedure, step by step? I hate to drive all the way down to the dealer each time it loses its mind!

Registered Member
    Member No: 102468 jawz is an unknown quantity at this point jawz's Avatar

Yes | No

Have you been cycling keys every couple of

months to keep them charged?
    Black/Crema
    2003 Alpina #480

Registered Member
    Member No: 103113 biffom2 is an unknown quantity at this point biffom2's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Have you been cycling keys every couple of

I guess that's why one of my keys failed - I'd been away travelling and the car had been in storage for the best part of a year.

I guess the next time I go I'll have to have the storage people put the keys on a trickle charger...2001 Silver/Red

StuM

Yes | No

Re: Have you been cycling keys every couple of

Yes. I have three keys and cycle them every few months or so. Two seem to retain power and memory fine. The same one is always going out of sync!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information