+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 132810 mtk92 is an unknown quantity at this point mtk92's Avatar

Yes | No

What to Do First?

hey everyone, it's been a long search but i found my e30 m3.

it's a very stock white with cardinal interior '88, with a non-tracked 120k on the engine (runs strong).

i'm hoping to keep this car for a while, and do not want to do any serious mods to the car, but would like it to be sporty enough on the weekends, but comfortable during the week - it's never been/nor will it be run on the track (just want a collectable fun to drive car)

as i said everything is stock, and beyond having all of the fluids flushed and replaced - my question is what to do first?
    - suspension (what type)
    - exhaust
    - chip
    - are flushing the fluids, etc. a good place to start?

just looking for some basic advice. also need to be mindful of my budget.

thanks everyone.

charley

Yes | No

Re: What to Do First?

Getting the car up to par would be the first thing I would do. When is the last time the valves were adjusted?? Intake gaskets/vaucum lines in good shape?? All of the press fitted elbows that love to come out should be secured etc etc. Does it have any oil leaks??

Whether or not you modify your car you will want to make a few key reinforcements to the front strut tabs where the sway bar link mounts. You'll also want to reinforce the front subframe. If you want to subtly modify the car I would do something like:(in order)

Iigomotiv chip-this will wake your car up and is the cheapest to do

Bilstein shocks w/ Eibach, H&R springs- there are other little things you can buy at the same time to make this a little better setup too (Z3 reinforcement plates for the rear shock tower area, factory front "crash" mounts for a little negative camber)Maybe a set of stainless brake lines at the same time....

If your exhaust isnt rusted I'd hold off- the factory exhaust did a pretty decent job and there isnt really much performance to be had from swapping.(But damn an S14 sounds good w/ a louder exhaust)

Good luck w/ your new toy, you've got the bug now.

Charley

Registered Member
    Member No: 44952 arbimmer325 is an unknown quantity at this point arbimmer325's Avatar

Yes | No

for the milage of your car, this is where its start to replace those original parts under the car.I'm talking about those rubber bushings, sway bar links, guibo, center driveshaft bearing, control arm bushing, rear frame bushing etc, etc,..
    they might look ok but look carefully cause you wont see the crack on a rubber until you stretch them..
    for the motor, don't touch if it not giving you any problem, change oils , filters,spark plug,wires, cap and rotor regularly and you'll be fine..
    these tips are good for starter!!
    suspension, exhaust can be done later since no track involve..
    hope these help..

Registered Member
    Member No: 62983 madspeed is an unknown quantity at this point madspeed's Avatar

Yes | No

I got a Dinan gen 4 chip for this car....lemme

know if you are interested. just curious if you picked this car up from calif. thanks.

Fleet...
    95 M3 ECIS Intake, Dinan Chip, Fittipaldi force rims, Bilstens...
    95 M3 H&R with Bilsteins, Hamman front splitter, UUC Twin Silence Exhaust, 3.5" CAI, JC Chip
    E30 M3 with a slight mod -> ( an S52 3.2 liter ).
    86 Mercedes 190E 2.3 16Valve Cosworth stock
    5 speed all the way.

Registered Member
    Member No: 132810 mtk92 is an unknown quantity at this point mtk92's Avatar

Yes | No

thanks for input everyone.

just got some new info...

the car has a palm sized rust spot on the drivers side rocker.

given the need to prioritize (and this being a $500-$800 job, should i take of this immediately, or wait?

cdeason

Yes | No

Go to S14.NET - Very Active Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information