+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

fast1eddy

Yes | No

Hey Icabob, i'm thinking about a 540i.....

6 speed. I took one for a drive the other day, bags of power but not exactly nimble. I'm diving a 93 320i right now and its time to upgrade. Since you've owned both a 328i and a 540ia what are your thoughts on the differences.My family is growing and i need something bigger. Everytime i drive a 540 the power is great but i don't feel that connection to the road like a 3 series. Does it take time to appreciate the 540 ? On paper this is the car for me but when i drive it i just don't FEEL it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 115742 icabob is an unknown quantity at this point icabob's Avatar

Yes | No

It does take time to appreciate the 540i...LONG

There's a saying that someone told me about the 540i...The 540i is muscle disguised as luxury.I loved my 328i,great bang for your buck,was quick,nimble,and looked great!My wife still misses it to this day.BUT the 540i is pure power and luxury,when you got in the 540 you must have noticed the luxury right from the front seats to the rear seats.I immediately noticed the difference in power between the 3 and the 5,No comparison!!My family grew as well,now we have lots of room for the stuff that goes with children...lol.As for the feeling on the road,I noticed it right from the start,you have to drive the 540i like you stole it to fully appreciate the handling,every BMW tech tells me the same thing about the 289hp 4.4L 8cyl engine,the harder you drive it the better it performs !!! Take another test drive once the streets get better and open it up till the sales person starts to sweat!!!Then you'll truly appreciate the handling and power of the 540i.Great top end speed as well for traffic situations.I know i rambled on abit,and I hope this helps,anymore questions let me or anyone else on this board know,as there are a few 540i/A owners.And all the (A) stands for is its equipped with the M5 suspension package.Cheers...Icabob.Icabob "Crane"
    2000 540iA...Competence software...Racing Dynamics CAI...Super Sprint performance Exhaust(resonator removed)...Euro/Clear AngelEye xenons...Clear Celis rear lights...Shadowline...Black M5 kidney...Euro plate.

fast1eddy

Yes | No

I thought the A was for automatic. I think i get..

what you mean about having to really drive the 540 hard to appreciate it's virtues,the only problem i have with that is, where and when do you ever really have the opportunity to open it up. On my test drive down Anthony Henday i was stuck behind slow moving traffic but as soon as it opened up i nailed it and hit 180 km/hr in a blink in 4th gear.That was fun but i also want to keep my drivers license. Since 99% of my driving is city, i think i'll try to find a 530i 5 speed but they seem rare around here.

Icabob

Yes | No

There's a 530i at Bavaria....

But I'm not sure if it is an automatic??You still have the step tronic gearing...which means you have normal automatic,sports mode,which holds your RPMs longer,and manual mode,which allows you to do the shifting.Plus I think the 530i thats at Bavaria has the executive package on it...different front and rear bumper,plus up-graded stereo...etc.Talk to Pat the coloured sales dude there,he'll help you out.

Mark633CSi

Yes | No

Check out this place

Hi, I drove past Prestige on Whyte last night and it looked like they had a few E39's. They looked to be in nice shape too.

Later
    Mark

83 320i

Ernie Slubik

Yes | No

Or this place....

540 in Red Deer

Honda Red Deer has a 2002 540 for sale that you might also want to check out.

fast1eddy

Yes | No

Bought a GTI from Bill at Prestige...

many years ago. He specializes in premium used vehicles.
    Thanks for the tips.

Registered Member
    Member No: 115742 icabob is an unknown quantity at this point icabob's Avatar

Yes | No

If you buy a 530i...

I've heard this from atleast 5 people that I know...IF you buy a 530i,it could take as long as 1 year,or as short as 1 week,you'll think to yourself..."I should have bought the 540i" Icabob "Crane"
    2000 540iA...Competence software...Racing Dynamics CAI...Super Sprint performance Exhaust(resonator removed)...Euro/Clear AngelEye xenons...Clear Celis rear lights...Shadowline...Black M5 kidney...Euro plate.Dyno tuned to 347hp(At rear wheels)

fast1eddy

Yes | No

Your probably right. When i bought my 320..

i was looking for a 325 but got tired of waiting for the right one to come along. The only thing i don't like about my car is the lack of power, i've done all the reasonably priced mods i can and it's still slow.

How reliable has the 540 been and what's the cost of ownership like.

Icabob

Yes | No

I had both Vanos changed...LONG

I'm still not 100% sure what the vanos system does...lol,but I had a ticking sound that was there when I bought it,the sound got louder over time,and Bavaria changed both sides.Other than that,besides normal preventive maintenance I haven't had to repair anything(knock on wood).I've modded it,buy putting a software download, a CAI,and a free flow performance exhaust system on it,had a friend tweek the engine and emission settings and voila,a tweeked 540iA.Changed my headlights,tail lights,and side lights,put a black M5 kidney grill,and a german plate,and its done....maybe.Oil changes,and all around maint is more than a 3 series,but thats to be expected.Like I said earlier,go talk to Pat,he's owned a 540,and he's still kicking himself for getting rid of it.If you do decide to get the 540,and you want to mod it,let me know,and I can give you some names.Talk to JJ over at service at Bavaria,he'll tell ya all about the 540.OH yeah,had my expansion tank go on me,under warranty,no biggie.Cheers...Icabob

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information