+ Reply to Thread
    BlackV12

Yes | No

Supercharger, Twin Turbo, or Motor ups for 750il

I want to know if one would be able to obtain 400hp out of the 5.4 V12 750(1995) without using forced induction. If not realistic goal, what would be the best and not as costly way to get that kind of power. I do understand that hp has it's price. Also I want it to be reliable. The car comes stock with 322. So were talking an extra 78-80hp.

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 131050 Morgan is an unknown quantity at this point Morgan's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Supercharger, Twin Turbo, or Motor ups for 750il

Best of luck on that.
    I have been going thru a set of mods for the M-73 myself, and find that the aftermarket has about zilch to offer. I find that the predessor, the M-70 has a bit to ofer, but even OEM parts are scarce in the later motors. When it is al said and done, I will have to get cams made, etc, which isnt all that bad, as I wont have to settle for what is available. The initial costs in time alone can be a bit much.
    The input of others, like John in DC has been helpfull, as it confirms my observations on the project.
    The head clamping (bolts in this case) are going to need more strength to begin with as the increased presssure will quickly send the OEM stuff away.
    The vaalve train itself offers a whole new series of problems.
    Lack of adequate cam bearings can be worked around, with a bit of machineing.
    Flow in the stock form isnt too bad in the intake head ports. The exhaust to put it mildly, SUCK! Oversize valves will help, but the almost 90 degree (measured @ 86) turn, it is doglegged badly. There isnt much room for improvement, without raising the port itself. That opens the door to where is the next bottleneck? Yup, the stock manifolds are every bit as good as the exhaust ports, flow wise.
    Here is a link that may give you some insight;

HTH
    Kermit

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e31/5230224-1.html[/URL]

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 131050 Morgan is an unknown quantity at this point Morgan's Avatar

Yes | No

Another link that may be of interest;
    http://www.v12extreme.com/

Registered Member
    Member No: 75805 Faisal_in_Laurel is an unknown quantity at this point Faisal_in_Laurel's Avatar

Yes | No

You can get the engine displacement up to a 6L

Steve Cohen of the E31 group have gotten this done and now his 850 is a 860. Good for more than 400HP. You may want to check with him on the E31 board.

Here is a pic of his specs.

Click to join DCMETRO_E31

Registered Member
    Member No: 146026 Hoffmantuning is an unknown quantity at this point Hoffmantuning's Avatar

Yes | No

I am currently twin turboing my 2000 750IL, stock set up @9-10 psi. after natural mods exhaust, extrude honed intakes, cold air etc.. still want something more decided to build a TT. I should have it finished @ 4-6 weeks ,,, will see if the heads hold and all else , short of stroking or nitrous over 400 is tough, but you can get very close... I am actually changing some of my exhaust, so insted of chopping the 3" dual cat back custom I am going to build a complete sys after the turbo install, no resonators and diff mufflers , if anyone is interested the sys is in E38 photo gallery.. would fit 740IL or 750 IL sounds amazing.. good luck with the search for 400 or more...

http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/gallery/p...18-8389760.jpg

ScottJackson

Yes | No

Do you have emissions laws? How handy are you with fabricating brackets and such? My 540iA is scheduled for a rather large change. I'm selling the alusil 4.0L and 5HP30 to buy a Tremec TKO 600 5 speed manual trans. It's going to be bolted to my 512" big block ford, which is going in the 540i. It's pretty crazy, but the 460 based american engine is actually smaller (except for length) than the BMW 4.0. It's a heavier motor, but the trans will be much lighter than the stock auto trans. Anyway, the ford engine is going to be a rather mild street type build. It's pretty much complete save for valves and some gaskets. It'll be in the area of 550hp and similar torque, maybe a bit over 600ft/lb of torque. I just need to make motor mount brackets, a tranny crossmember, get the driveshaft cut and adapted to the TKO yoke, add the clutch/brake pedal assy. from a manual trans E34, and make the brackets to bolt up the BMW a/c compressor, alternator, and maybe power steering pump (looks like I may not be able to mount the ps pump and will have to use a small late model GM pump with custom hoses). Anyway, a stock 460 with cam, ported heads, headers, decent intake and carb can make an easy 500hp and 600ft/lbs for less than $1000 total. The TKO 600 trans can hold over 1000hp on street tires and at least 800hp on drag slicks (not that it matters as the BMW IRS would likely give out before the trans), and costs $1700 new. The stock BMW fuel pump will probably feed it as it will flow much more when regulated down to 6psi for the carb. If you really wanna hot rod that 750iL, this might be something to try. I'll try to get mine done halfway soon so I can be the guinea pig.

ScottJackson

Yes | No

Nevamind, just saw the date of orig. post. NM

Registered Member
    Member No: 137291 nodents.com is an unknown quantity at this point nodents.com's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Supercharger, Twin Turbo, or Motor ups for 750

I think you are crazy! I would just get a newer 750 and call it a day. All those mods, combined with BMW electrics spells troub-al!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information