+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 135434 Traci is an unknown quantity at this point Traci's Avatar

Yes | No

2006 M5 - Purchase Options

I currently own a 540ia and itís an awesome car but I recently test drove the new 2006 M5 and Iím in love. (And BTW Ė Yes, Iím a female gear head!)

My understanding is that you can not purchase the 5M utilizing the European Delivery program. Is this true? If so, and presuming there is no ED discount, can the car be picked up in Europe anyway? I need to make a trip over there and would love to opportunity to take it on the Autobahn. If not, below are some questions for current owners.

What suggestions for purchasing would you give to a first time M5 buyer? Did you use a local dealer or shop around? Are there any discount programs available? Anything you think would be helpful would be greatly appreciated.
    (When I purchased my 540 I hired Eurobuyers. Steve did a great job!)

Have you had the opportunity to try all the SMG has to offer? The salesperson didnít seem to know how to change the settings so, after reading a few articles and educating myself on how to operate it, Iím looking to do another test drive at a different dealership.

Also it was suggested to me that I look at Mercedes but being a BMW owner Iím not sure how theyíll compare. (I love to drive!!!) Iím not even sure the 550 with all the upgrades could measure up to the M5!

Registered Member
    Member No: 119840 M6OpusX is an unknown quantity at this point M6OpusX's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 2006 M5 - Purchase Options

Traci:

I agree with you that the 550 with all upgrades will not measure up to the M5. I owm an '05 545i with all teh otions and SMG transsmission. It's an impressive car, fun to drive, sporty. About a month ago I got an '06 M5. Wow, what a friendly beast! I just completed the M5 1200 miles break in, and today for the first time I punched the "Power" button to get the full 500HP the M5 offers.

What a rush! It was awesome, this is a very well designed car. Mercedes? Nahh, I don't think so. Stick with BMW. I used to think my '05 645ci is the best car I ever had; now it's harder to make a decission:)

As for the european delivery, I am pretty sure it is available for the M5. Check the BMW of NA web page, they have information on the european delivery there. Where to buy? I have heard that california dealers are selling the M5 above list price, don't know if that is true. I don't believe you will get a discount anywhere, so you may want to stick to a dealer close to where you leave, although this may not be an issue since you are interested in the european delivery. BMW would ship the M5 you pick-up in Europe to a stateside dealership of your choice.

If you are a member of the BMW Car Club for America you will get a rebate (about $1,000)once per year. If you are not a member, you may consider joining. Lots of good benefits and information, such as Roundel, their monthly magazine, as well as discounts in some stores.

I hope you will enjoy driving your new M5 in the autobahn. Let me know how it goes, I plan to take teh european delivery of my M6 when they become available stateside in May '06.

'06 M5, Black Sapphire Metallic, Sepang Bronze Extended Leather, SMG, Heads-up Display, Premium Sound
    '05 Silver Gray Metallic 645ci, Hamman Aerodinamic Mods, M6 Wheels, Brembo Grand Turismo brakes
    '05 Titanium Silver Metallic 545i
    '04 Titanium Gray Metallic 745Li
    '03 325i Dinan
    '05 Black SLK 350 (black sheep of the family)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information