+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 96408 Samsonvb is an unknown quantity at this point Samsonvb's Avatar

Yes | No

Is Sirius radio dealer installed option?

Can Sirius be installed by the dealer if it was not ordered from the factory? Is the dealer installed Sirius the same as if it came from the factory?

playhard

Yes | No

So what will Dinan come up with??

Come on folks, the car is tuned way down....560-620, with chip and exhaust...I would think.

My dealer here is a Dinan tuner they are close, they have a M5 under the knife as we speak...they are leaking that another 50-100hp without any bolt on, just chip etc.

Any ohter aftrer market talk??

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 71224 JIO is an unknown quantity at this point JIO's Avatar

Yes | No

560-620 with chip & exhaust....I really find that

hard to believe. Dinan took the E46 M3 and with chip got ZERO extra hp. Even Conforti with the Shark injector could only get like 5 hp. I would think that if BMW could get 60 to 120 more hp from just adding a different exhaust and playing around with the ECU a bit, they would have done it. Are we expecting that next year BMW will have say 540 hp so all the M5 people now would sell their cars and buy the 540 model....and so on until reaching 620 hp. And then a tuner will add a supercharger and get 750 hp.

I think the engine is pretty much tweaked out.

playhard

Yes | No

Re: 560-620 with chip & exhaust....I really find that

Of course all of that is your opinion....the Dinan company got me almost 40hp out of my Z8...Kleeman 127hp on my sl65, so I guess we will see...it's a V10 and its got room to breath, and for a car to come from the factory at full bore, would be a first....it's not just about the numbers...it's about feel and response

Registered Member
    Member No: 123152 wolverine is an unknown quantity at this point wolverine's Avatar

Yes | No

I suspect the M5 engine is 'detuned'

for a variety of reasons, reliability being one. Another interesting thought is that the M6 engine is actually tuned to a higher HP than the M5. Every M6 test I've seen indicates that the M6 has a stronger engine. The 45 kg difference in weight is nowhere near enough to explain the significant differences in rolling acelleration. Various test reports have shown the M6 running sub-13 second 0-200 khp times, and sub 9 second 100-200 kph times.

I'll bet there is 50 HP or so available in the M5 engine through a chip/exhaust. Raising the rev limiter and remapping to push the torque curve up a bit would do it. Just a hunch, but we'll see soon enough. Keep us posted.

playhard

Yes | No

Re: I suspect the M5 engine is 'detuned'

You got it

Registered Member
    Member No: 103164 GeezTech is an unknown quantity at this point GeezTech's Avatar

Yes | No

Did they do a dyno run for you?

Where these numbers at the flywheel,the rear tires, or the seat of their pants?

dp

Yes | No

i've seen lots and lots of dyno tests

before and after, for all kinds of mods. most intakes for 6cyl bmw claim 10-15 hp, i've never seen a reliably documented gain (on a paying customer's car, done by an independent tester) of over 5hp and have seen plenty of losses. ditto for ecu tweaks. exhausts and intakes on a modern car are only good to change the sound, imo. which is valid enough reason, don't get me wrong, but performance gains? nah.

besides, the m5 totally stock is already too fast for anything you could possibly use on the street. to make it faster on a track you need tires and brakes, in that order, before even thinking of any engine work.

so what would be the point of modding the motor on a street-driven m5? bragging rights? just slap a dinan badge on the trunklid and tell everyone you've got 620hp. who's gonna say otherwise? that's probably all that dinan does anyway ;)

Registered Member
    Member No: 98482 bmwtech2003 is an unknown quantity at this point bmwtech2003's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Is Sirius radio dealer installed option?

Dealer or factory, same thing. The car has to have sat prep if not from factory.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information