+ Reply to Thread
    basam

Yes | No

Turbo kit for S38 inquiry...any interest?

HI folks...
    I am coming over from the E34 M5 forum. I am getting the itch to extract more HP from the S38 beast and having had experience with turbos on 86-7 Buick Grand Nationals, I would like to take the TURBO route instead of SC!

Here's where I have run into total dead ends... no one makes kits for S38 application. Outside of the turbo that Dinan had built for a very short peiod of time, nothing is out there, other than custom kits = $$$$$$$$$!

So I got in touch with Todd over @ TCD (www.turbochargingdynamics.com/) and here's the scoop.

If I can get 5 people to commit to purchasing a kit or partial kit (whatever your fancy), he will put this project on the fast track and get working on the casting of the turbo manifold! :) This is kinda how the breakdown of the kit components (keep in mind this is a rough estimate as the final cost cannot be projected w/o actually doing the work):

$275 - WG + DP
    $675 - complete exhaust
    $800 - Turbo (you can request specific turbo to match your goal)
    $1300 - IC (air/water) = Stage 2
    $700 - Turbo exhaust manifold

I believe he mentioned that most hoses will be supplied as well, while others might need to be customized. Also, injectors would be extra or you can get your own. Due to high compression of these engines, thicker head gaskets will be available as well to help lower the compression so as to be able to boos past 6-7psi safely. This setup would allow for about 16-18hp/# boost increase over stock which translates to about 95-120 RWHP! :D Keep in mind, this is all on stock internals, without a rebuild. You want higer boost = rebuild with all stock internals with the addition of forged pistons, which Todd is working on with JE to develope lower compression pistons.

As for the tuning, they are working with the Megasquirt standalone system which might be available, but as of right now, you would need to seek your own tuner. I have located several reputable (in the BMW community) tuners round the country who would be willing to provide tuning services for our application.

Please let me know of the interest level out here so I can determine if this is a feasible option or not (I hope it is!) The commitment would be 25% down with the remainder due @ deliver or something to that effect.

I can be reached @ [email protected]

Thanx a bunch and looking to get some serious feedback! :)

Regards,
    Basam

P.S. I am also posting this on E28 M5 forum as well as the E34 M5 forum :)

Jack Butler

Yes | No

Re: Turbo kit for S38 inquiry...any interest?

I would be interested in the turbo kit but have a question. Within the last year I have seen two GM products that located the turbo in the rear/back of car. They claim many benefits: Lower heat, no special exhaust manifolds, packaging in engine compartment, no intercooler. Have you seen these systems? They do require a return air pipe but may reduce cost and ease of instalation.

tirefryer

Yes | No

Re: Turbo kit for S38 inquiry...any interest?

you are refering to the STS trubo sytems. I have talked to them extensively and they are not willing to commit time to develope a kit for out needs. they say they are busy enough with the domestic market, that they cannot begin to venture into imports.

but if you are interested in the TCD kit, please confirm with me.

thanx

Registered Member
    Member No: 12259 Boru635 is an unknown quantity at this point Boru635's Avatar

Yes | No

The interesting thing about >>>

those systems, though they do work, is that heat is a major component of what is needed to spool the turbo. They also have a very long run for the charge air and the air filter is mounted under the rear of the car where it will get lots of hot, dirty air. It also requires a separate oil pump for the turbo.
    It does "work" but it is far from being an optomized system.

Sweeney

Registered Member
    Member No: 10568 scottiesharpe is an unknown quantity at this point scottiesharpe's Avatar

Yes | No

U may want to look...

on the M5 section of my board www.BMWTurboPerformance.com
    There was a link a while ago to some guy in Finland - I think - who did this project and I seem to recall some photos of nice custom machine work.

Frankly, I don't think the S38 takes well to turbocharging. The M88/S38 was built to flow air - and lots of it - at very high revs. Turbo motors do best at low RPM with low-flow, low-compression motors.

Even if you can drop the compression to 9.5:1 with a fat gasket, you will need VERY low charge temps and severely retarded timing maps to run > 1 bar.

But, with that said, please don't let me discourage you from experimenting and keep us posted if you discover otherwise! :-) :-)

--ScottieScottie Sharpe
    84 745i 13 lbs boost, clean underwear
    83 635csi w/ M106 turbo (for sale)
    88 Dinan M5 with M88 motor (for sale - see RF classifieds)

http://bmwturbo.scottiesharpe.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 124000 528ita is an unknown quantity at this point 528ita's Avatar

Yes | No

Just looking at the basics

I dont see why not. Its very similar to the M30 from the rods down. The high CR is one thing to be addressed, but thats certainly not a huge problem. To me the S38 has potential to make at least as much power as any of the 12v variants of the big six with lower boost over a wider range of engine speeds. Some piston and combustion chamber work and a thicker gasket, oil squirters (if not already equipped?) and a custom chip would make for a very interesting turbo platform. I'd go for it if I had one.

Registered Member
    Member No: 103264 tdhardin is an unknown quantity at this point tdhardin's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Turbo kit for S38 inquiry...Hello!!!

yeah i am interested!!
    Damion Hardin
    561 339 3985

Erikm5

Yes | No

how much hp?

The dinan kits were putting out around 475hp. I might be interested but a 3.9 stickly storker with 400+ hp might be more diserable.

BNC

Yes | No

They do put together a very good kit

the M30 and M20 kits are very impressive....

I have driven a TCD car and they are very impressive...

Torquey as hell....

SW

Yes | No

dinan turbo kit on ebay

looks a little rashed and something bothers me about the manifold, but here it is...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E24-DINAN-TURBO-M6-M635CSi-M88-3-Engine-Components_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33620QQihZ00 1QQitemZ110010674092QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information