+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 106033 taylor.ash is an unknown quantity at this point taylor.ash's Avatar

Yes | No

Advice needed..........E39vsE60

Hi folks.........hoping I can get a little advice. I've had my 325i for the last 4.5yrs and am thinking of getting an M car. I have 3 kids, so the M5 is practical and yet should still provide all of the necessary thrills. My question is this...........I can only afford an E39 (02 or 03), and was wondering if any of you had an E39 before the new E60. Will I regret gettting the E39 because the performance gap is substantial between the two, or is the performance gap not that great? From a styling perspective, I have to give the thumbs up to the E39, although I do think the E60 M5 is really agressive looking. I'll also be missing out on the new technology (I plan on keeping the car for at least 5+ years) Any perspectives would be great from those who have owned both. It won't change my decision, (not that I have a choice) but I was curious as to how much of a difference there is between these two awesome cars.

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 71224 JIO is an unknown quantity at this point JIO's Avatar

Yes | No

Haven't owned both but I went from an.............

E46 328i to an E46 M3 to an E39 M5 back to an E46 M3. If you are moving up from a 325i, you will find the 400 hp of the E39 M5 simply amazing. It has lots of down-low torque to pull from 800 rpm in 6th (if you want, that is). The E39 M5 will get you an actual shift lever with 6 gears to row. As a "cruiser" car, it's wonderful, but you do need to keep the speed down to get it over 20 mpg. I like to track my cars and after 1 track day with my 2003 M5, I went back to the M3. My M3's were always with SMG which I love for the track and really don't mind in traffic. The auto mode is rubbish...the shifts are so bad. I never use the auto mode.

Along with my one and only track day with the E39 M5, was a Mercedes E55 AMG with 468 or so horsepower. On the straights, the E55 left me in the dust. I now see the power of the E60 M5 with 500 hp which is faster than the E55. It has tremendous power....can you really use or do you really need 500 hp?...or even 400 hp?

If I were buying a bigger car for my family, I'd get the E60 M5, but only because I can afford it. The E39 M5 is a wonderful car and I'd highly recommend it over the E60 M5, if on a budget.There are pitfalls to the E39 M5....it eats clutches. Some people have killed a clutch in under 10K miles. I think they used the transmission and clutch right out of the 540i which only has 280 or so hp. The big engine really puts a strain on the clutch.

There is a difference (big one) between the E39 and the E60 M5. I sometimes miss my E39 M5 and it really will be a fun car for you. You have more than enough horsepower ( 0 - 60 in 4.7 seconds). The E60 M5 can do it in 4.2 seconds.

If you can afford the E39 M5....go for it. It has great looks, great performance, and great looks. It really is a sweet car. And on that, I'll stop my rambling....

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information