+ Reply to Thread
    PixMan

Yes | No

Considering M5

And need some info.

The E39 is probably the newest I can afford, if I sell off my '04 GTO and finance some. So, a few questions:

What motor(s) are in them, what is the HP & torque ratings?

What transmissions are offered? Any semi-auto, as my non-shifting wife may actually have to drive it.

What are the prices ranging at for a stock, CPO-qualifiable one?

Thanks!

Bill ///03 M5

Yes | No

Re: Considering M5

Suggest you do some research on the E39 M5. Here are a couple of other good web sites for info.

http://www.bmwworld.com/models/e39_m5.htm
    http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/index.php

The E39 M5 is the first M car powered by a V8 engine.

The engine is a 5-liter, 400-hp V8, based on the BMW 540i sedan. The 540i is powered by the M62 4.4-liter DOHC 32 valve unit developing 282 horsepower. M's engineers developed a new version of the engine, the S62, generating 400 horsepower and 369 pounds-feet of torque at 7,000 rpm. Put another way, these horsepower and torque figures mean the M5 has the speed of a Ferrari F355 and the power of a Jaguar XJR.

With the S62 engine, the M5 can go from a standing start to 60 miles per hour in 4.7 seconds.

Prices vary suggest you check NADA or Kelly blue book to get an idea on prices. CPO is ~$2500 from a dealer. A good 2003 will run mid 50's.

PixMan

Yes | No

Thanks very much Bill, that's the kind of info I am looking for...and the kind of power I was hoping for! Bear in mind, I now have a '04 Pontiac GTO (a.k.a. Holden Monaro CV8R) that I could upgrade to a 400HP '05 for under $10K, so that's a consideration. However, it's still not an M5...

I had looked at the M5board.com site before, but it wasn't easy finding what I wanted because the board is so heavily populated by, it seems, our mates across the pond.

Tell me if you know, does this 1st V8 version of the M5 have Vanos, Nikasil issues, and available SMG?

Registered Member
    Member No: 30170 mng1 is an unknown quantity at this point mng1's Avatar

Yes | No

No SMG on E39s(my wife cant drive my car either)

Registered Member
    Member No: 69526 wnfield is an unknown quantity at this point wnfield's Avatar

Yes | No

Vanos Yes, Nikasil issue No

The M5 does have Vanos both on Intake and Exhaust. Some have experienced failures of the Vanos. Not all see this. Mine has been trouble free since I purchased it new. Beaware that if the car is not driven for several weeks the Vanos loses pressure and takes a few minutes to pump up. BMW states that no harm is being done. Had seen this on my previous 99 M3 as well.

M5s may or may not be trouble free. There are areas of weakness such as the clutch & recently carbon build up in the secondary air ways. It is a high performance engine and as such is prone to some failures. Early 2000-2001 M5s have experienced issues with high oil comsumption due to ring issues. Must us special 10-60w oil. Suggest you look for a 2002 or 2003 model. Granted many of us have seen no problems at all.

Also may I add that an E39 M5 is a completely different driving experience from a GTO. It is more than just the power. The overall build quality, level of appointment, and feel are unique. IMO it is one of BMWs best build vehicles ever.

More detailed engine info. List of S62 modifications:
    -Increased bore to 94mm (from 92mm) and increased stroke to 89mm (from 82.7mm) for a total displacement of 4,941cc (up from 4,398cc).
    -Increased compression to 11.0:1 (from 10.0:1)
    -Individual electronically-controlled throttle bodies for each cylinder with M Driving Dynamics two-stage control
    -Double VANOS continuously-variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust strokes
    -Siemens MSS 52 Motronic digital engine control system
    -Three-layer steel head gaskets
    -Dual air induction system
    -Modified cylinder heads
    -Hollow camshafts
    -High-capacity water pump
    -Duplex chain drive for the intake cams
    -Oil-cooled pistons unique to each cylinder bank
    -G-force-sensitive lubrication system with two scavenging pumps, one for each cylinder bank
    -Coolant to oil heat exchanger for engine cooling
    -Free-flow exhaust with dual catalytic converters and four exhaust tips

Registered Member
    Member No: 106829 Talat is an unknown quantity at this point Talat's Avatar

Yes | No

Check this page:

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=18#colors

Registered Member
    Member No: 136914 jwbhole is an unknown quantity at this point jwbhole's Avatar

Yes | No

2000 M5

I have had my 2000 M5 since '04. Driven it just 8,000 miles and I absolutely love it. LeMans Blue with Black, and I keep it mint. I treat it like a sports car. I am considering selling my beater and driving the M more. Does anyone have any experience putting real miles on these cars? I realize I will have to keep up with all service, but what about engine and trans reliability to 140,000 - 150,000 miles; which is how much I would drive it over the next five years -- till I can afford an e60 M5 with a six speed (that's not even out yet.)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information