+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 55623 mseals is an unknown quantity at this point mseals's Avatar

Yes | No

How do I fight a window tinting ticket

Hey guys,

I just got a ticket this morning for window tinting on my front windows. I was driving to work and the Michigan State Trooper pulled me over just because of window tint. I asked him if there was any other reason and he said no. He stated that it is illegal in the state of Michigan and that you can only have tint on the top 4 inches of the window. Personally I think that looks completely stupid so I would just have it either all there or all off. He said I could have it removed and take it to court and they would dismiss the ticket. Or I could just pay the fine and take my chances on not getting another ticket. I bought the car off of a guy in Florida and he had the windows tinted down there. My question is, how hard is it to get a prescription to get my windows tinted legally?

Mseals 2001 325i step/spt/prem98 528i 5sp, PP,
    heated seats
    and steering wheel,
    black on black
    with wood trim and moonroof.

Registered Member
    Member No: 4787 rustyh is an unknown quantity at this point rustyh's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: How do I fight a window tinting ticket

"My question is, how hard is it to get a prescription to get my windows tinted legally?"

Maybe I'm confused, but are you asking how you could go about having the entire window legally tinted in a state that prohibits tinting of the entire window?

My guess would be that you're SOL, but why are you thinking it might be possible? Do they make exceptions to laws on a case by case basis?

Rusty
    '05 330i ZHP in Imola

Registered Member
    Member No: 129622 Tom_K is an unknown quantity at this point Tom_K's Avatar

Yes | No

I'm also confused by "prescription". Is it medically necessary for you to have tinted windows?

ProV1

Yes | No

dayum that sux!!! my bimmer also has 20% metallic tint and so far so good *knock on wood*. where were you, and how dark is your tint? i'm in ann arbor and it's been ok.

goodluck, you shouldnt have to take those tints off, i see rides w/ limo tints ALL the time in SE MI. go see your dermatologist and see if he can write a medical note saying you are "at risk for melanoma from excessive sun exposure." lol

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

Not to let the life out of the party, but I'd

rather you didn't have window tint on the front window. Especially if I'm crossing the street in front of you at night.
    OK, the top four inches looks kinda Skyliner, but in the states that offer full tint on the front it's a medical exemption daytime driving only. Wanna keep your car in the garage at night?
    Go to gilafilms.com and get to the automotive section. There you can download the pdf for all the state laws in the US and Canada.

Registered Member

Yes | No

There is an exception in Michigan ordinance for window tinting that if you eyes are sensitive to light or photosensitive, you can have a prescription from a doctor or Optometrist. The odd thing is that it puts no limit on the % of tint other than to say that it can't obstruct the drivers view of open highway, so I can't be on the front windshield.98 528i 5sp, PP,
    heated seats
    and steering wheel,
    black on black

Registered Member

Yes | No

Yes it is, but I never went in to get the prescription from my eye doctor. I had laser surgery to correct detached retina's in both eyes. I was going to get it done on my last car but was planning on selling it so I didn't. I lucked out on this car because it came with the tint.98 528i 5sp, PP,
    heated seats
    and steering wheel,
    black on black

Registered Member

Yes | No

that is funny

ProV1,

I would go to a dermatologist and say that but I am black. So I am not too sure how that would work. I do have light sensitive eyes though every since I had laser surger to correct detached retinas in my eyes, so I think I will go that route.

Mseals98 528i 5sp, PP,
    heated seats
    and steering wheel,
    black on black

Registered Member

Yes | No

I already verified the state law

There is a medical exception, but there is no restriction on nightime driving in Michigan. The tint on my front windows is very light. Definitely not as dark as the back windows, and it by no means obstructs my visibility at night or any other time. I can see out the side windows even in the dark. If it was darker I would have taken it off a while ago because I dont' like driving when I can't see. I do understand your concern about being a pedestrian though, but my tint is about as light as it is at the top of the windshield.

Mseals98 528i 5sp, PP,
    heated seats
    and steering wheel,
    black on black

Registered Member
    Member No: 5943 rirrgang is an unknown quantity at this point rirrgang's Avatar

Yes | No

Well, it seems you have answered your own

question. The tint law in different states or the notion that it looks stupid have no bearing on the law. In Ca., for instance the law is there to protect peace officers. They (law inforcement) wants to see who's in the car at a traffic stop. They don't give a hill of beans about anything else. If all you have to do is get a prescription from your local eye doctor, then do it.
    -Rick
    www.mangosteen4us.com
    BMWCCA 162285
    87 535is (Gone to a good home)
    00 328i Sport Steptronic Steel Grey/Grey
    03 Infiniti QX4

Registered Member
    Member No: 6933 bimmer5er is an unknown quantity at this point bimmer5er's Avatar

Yes | No

I ased my Dr. and he wrote one without question

Even diagnosed me with some big name stuff.

Bryan in DE
    00 323iT
    86 325e
    BMWCCA # 180984

Gone but not forgotten:
    97 328i
    86 M535i
    85 535i

330 heaven

Yes | No

r&r the tint

most installers wil r&r the tint on the drivers and passenger front windows (the law) only for a reduced price(mine charges 70$) and gives you time for the sign off in between

330 heaven

Yes | No

Re: r&r the tint oops, sorry im in calif

you guys put tint on the windshields there? out of the question here, in ca

Registered Member
    Member No: 5621 diamondmit is an unknown quantity at this point diamondmit's Avatar

Yes | No

I just purchased a car with windows tinted...

and was pulled over twice in 45 minutes as I tried to register the car in Massachusetts (purchased in Illinois).

I went to Ziebart and had all the tint removed (all 4 passenger windows and the rear) - it looked way cool but was dangerously dark.

I can now tint all the windows to a much lesser extent or just leave them as it is. I plan to live with the car for 6 months before I make a move to retint.

Total cost to remove the tint was $125.

Good luck!
    dd

Registered Member

Yes | No

NO, not at all

In MI, there is no tint allowed on the windshields other than the upper part that comes on the windshield already. Even with a prescription, there is no exception for windshield tint.

Mseals98 528i 5sp, PP,
    heated seats
    and steering wheel,
    black on black

Registered Member
    Member No: 23520 The_Van is an unknown quantity at this point The_Van's Avatar

Yes | No

Mseals,

Sorry to hear about the ticket. I used to live in Michigan and got the same type of ticket a few years back (all right a lot of years back). Cop thought I was coming from a party and when he realized I wasn't he used the excuse that my windows were over tinted. How he could tell that at night I don't know.

Anyway, the way I got out of it was to remove the tint in the front windows and presented it to the local police who gave me a receipt that submitted to get the ticket dismissed. I then went back and had the front windows re-tinted.

I have heard you can get a perscription to allow tint in Michigan, but never looked into it.

I know that doesn't answer your question directtly, but I thought I would share it.

Anyway, I now live in Texas where you can tint the hell out of everything and I have all my windows at limo tint.

Rob
    1998 Z3 2.8

MattV

Yes | No

Heres how i did it...

I was pulled over in CT about 2 years ago for tints. The cops here cant give you a ticket without absolute proof that they are illegal (unless you say they are) So they issue an inspection ticket, where you have to go get the windows inspected at the DMV and they put a light meter on them and give you a pass or fail. If you fail you have 20 days to fix the problem or else...

So I went to wal-mart and bought two compact florescent flashlights AA battry style and I removed part of the door panel before going and just layed the lights in there. The funny part is they guy was so positive that they were illegal he said "I dont even need to test this car, you might as well leave and say you were not here yet." I told him to go ahead and do it anyhow and I said, "Its a new thermo-reactive tint tha changes in sunlight to aid in driving is hazardous sunlight and it would pass" He laughed at me but the results passed and I think he was really surprised! It was one of the more memorable moments in my old 330! Thats what you get for $10/hr CT! Try paying your employees and maybe they would have a clue!

Registered Member
    Member No: 90128 Socom is an unknown quantity at this point Socom's Avatar

Yes | No

Ok so you've decided to "work an angle" and

pull one over on the state. Just don't sue the next patrol man that shoots your @ss because he though you were reaching for a gun because you tint is too GD dark for him to realize it was actually your cellphone.

03' ZHP , Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Xenons , Moonroof

Dougster

Yes | No

When we had our cabin in Pine AZ--we drove >

from San Diego (10 yrs. )on vacations--On two occasions cited 50 miles back into Ca. sucked-- I loved the Az.laws though.

Matt V

Yes | No

Why would you reach for anything ??

Why would you reach for anything if a cop pulls you over? You would have to be a real moron to go reaching for stuff if the pokey pulls you over, thats natural-selection at its finest IMO.

What I would recommend as an "expert" in this area.
    A) pull over in a safe visable area & run your hazard lights
    B) have your documents ready if possible
    C) roll down your window & turn on interior lights if @ night
    D) keep your hands on the wheel in plain view until asked to do otherwise

That should keep you from getting shot in most instances, but if you decide to go reaching for things I'll see ya in hell for sure!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information