+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 91157 wonfuk is an unknown quantity at this point wonfuk's Avatar

Yes | No

Indy in Los Angeles area...

Hi all in SoCal,

I recently posted this in the E39 board:
    (looking for an Indy in LA area, willing to drive a little if the Indy is worth it)

Hi everyone,

I've got a 01 530iA w/ 92000 miles...

I've pretty much only been doing oil changes and brake changes for the past 40000 miles (replaced front right bearing once) and recently, my Check Engine Light has been coming on and off (interval of a day or two on, day or two off).

I know its time for some maintenance on my car, but would like some suggestions before I bite the bullet and take my car to the STEALERS...

I've got 3 "issues" w/ my car I would have the stealer take a look at and provide an estimate:

1) Check Engine Light
    2) rotational "whirring/whizzing" sound at low speed from front left area...
    3) Rear right "clanks" over low speeds (sounds like metal to metal).

I live in Los Angeles, CA and would appreciate any suggestions on which Stealer to take it to, an TRUSTWORTHY indy, or any other ideas on how you would approach these problems...

Thanks in advance,
    David

EdinLA44

Yes | No

Re: Indy in Los Angeles area...

Where in Los Angeles are you?

Registered Member
    Member No: 14380 caylan is an unknown quantity at this point caylan's Avatar

Yes | No

Beverly Hills area

Registered Member

Yes | No

oops wrong post sorry

Registered Member
    Member No: 134689 Pa-ek is an unknown quantity at this point Pa-ek's Avatar

Yes | No

Pa-ek

Yes | No

Sorry. First post didn't post. Even though you're "half a world away" in what sound like the fairfax district, let me highly recommend John Handel of European Motorworks in Arcadia. He was referred to me by Vince of retrofit paddle shift fame (I have an '02 330i with steptronic that now can shift via paddles mounted on the steering wheel--a la SMG).
    First and foremost, John knows his stuff. He used to be a master mechanic at one of the local dealers before setting off on his own. unlike many mechanics he is a fellow BMW enthusiast (he used to race them). I'm very picky about who takes care of my cars; John is the only one who has an answer for every question I ask.
    Second, he is very honest and fair with pricing. My "Inspection II" was quoted as $800 at the dealer; $200 w/John (factory spec parts, dignostics, the works).
    Third, he loves BMWs like us. His office is like a shrine to the marque. Spend 10 minutes talking to him and you'll trust him with your car. www.europeanmotorworks.net
    Good luck.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I live in the Wilshire area, west of downtown

Registered Member
    Member No: 82420 ReyXLP is an unknown quantity at this point ReyXLP's Avatar

Yes | No

N & W German Auto Repair

Was getting excellent service from Mickey @ Bullet Performance in Costa Mesa, but the drive down from L.A. to Costa Mesa was killing me, so I found these guys through another Roadfly member. Have dealt with Walter there for service on both my E34 and E32 and I highly recommend. Pico & Fairfax, just East of Fairfax. Doesn't look like the fancier shops, but very clean and excellent, honest, affordable service. Walter trained and was a tech for BMW in Germany several years, and Jerry his most experienced tech has 20+ years experience.

I've also heard great things about Swiss Motors on Sepulveda just North of Washington by the 405 in Culver City, but have never been there myself.

Last, check out: www.iaibmwsp.org

I have yet to find any positive feedback in the 18 months I've lived in L.A. regarding any of the dealers in the area. Supposedly, South Bay was very good but then moved into a new, enormous facility and jacked up all their prices to insane levels.

Hope this helps, good luck to you and please post about your experiences (positive or negative) wherever you end up to help others.
    Rey

1994 BMW 750iL
    1995 BMW 540i M-Sport
    1996 BMW 850CSi

Registered Member

Yes | No

Question

I am looking @ a car in Bev Hills...flying cross country to do it (under pretense of business trip) ; ).

I found you testimonial very compelling.

IYO, is this shop able to do pre purchase inspection ?

Thanks for your input.

Registered Member
    Member No: 148047 ApocalypseNotNow is an unknown quantity at this point ApocalypseNotNow's Avatar

Yes | No

great things about Swiss Motors on Sepulveda???

i'm not coming back to these tricksters. their head rip off artist overcharged me for doing the timing belt/water pump and cam seals. but that's not all. he insisted that my guido/drivetrain flex disk was going bad and needed replacement in a month or two. that was 1 year ago and the car is just fine. he also disconnected my rear break sensor hoping i would be alarmed and have him do the breaks. to top it off his "mechanic" for no reason at all removed the original cosmoline off the valve cover. to me that's like removing patina off a revolutionary rifle :(( the overcharge for the timing belt/water pump and cam seals was about $250. i confronted him saying that there really is not additional labor cost to replace the seals once you're in there replacing the tb/wp but he insisted that there was.

Registered Member
    Member No: 141255 tikishow is an unknown quantity at this point tikishow's Avatar

Yes | No

hey David,

I was just reading your post and the answers you got and was wondering if you ended up going to N&W to get your BMW repaired. If you did, what's your opinion?

Registered Member
    Member No: 114550 klaarkent is an unknown quantity at this point klaarkent's Avatar

Yes | No

C and L International is the name of the shop I go to. The owner drives a E39 as does his wife and son. When something does unfortunatly go wrong with my car it is usually something that wares over time and it is usually something that they have done before. EXAMPLE. The rear drivers window on my 540 stopped working. He started stocking the parts because he was replacing alot of them. He did it pretty quickly and for a good price. He has replaced heads for me, twice (once free because of warranty) My aunt is driving my E34 into the ground. Its really hers now cause she bought it but it still hurts to see it in that cindition. ANyway, on Veince just east of La Brea. Father, son deal. Ask for Louis 323-937-1329

Kenny

Registered Member

Yes | No

Hi all,

I've just been quoted $1000 from European Motor Works in Arcadia,CA

I've made an appointment for next Monday...

According to the shop, they will do a full Insp II as well change the auto tranny fluid, all spark plugs, and basically a full tune up from bumper to bumper.

The only other possible charges will be if any of the 4 O2 sensors need to be replaced (my service engine light did come on...) for about $180 per sensor.

Does this sound like a reasonable price? And should I be asking/looking out for any other service requirements?

I'll keep you posted on the work done...

David

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information