An E39 (2001 probably) is admittedly at the top of my "doable" range but I just lust after this vehicle...I think. I have yet to drive one. I'm kind of scared. What if I really REALLY like it? Anyway, it's probably more than I should spend but cars ARE my entertainment. I don't like sports...don't drink (much)...don't travel to speak of...so, I feel the extra expense is justified. I would be looking at an M3 but I have two issues pushing me towards the M5. One is that I spend 2-2 1/2 (total) hours in the car just getting to and from work so being quite comfortable is a prime concern. The other is my girlfriend's parents just moved into town and we seem to spend a lot of time on the weekend doing "family" stuff that involves me carting the group around in her Pathfinder, which just isn't "doing it" for me. So four doors have taken on a new attraction. My biggest concern is that while I'm prepared to spend what I need to spend to BUY the vehicle...what should I be looking at to OWN the vehicle? How much do you guys and ladies spend on upkeep? I'm probably looking at a 40K to 50K mile vehicle and I'll put about 20K a year on it. I don't know if anyone would have any experience with both cars but I'm also wondering if there would be a huge difference in the upkeep costs of an M5 vs. say the 540. Sorry for the long post and thanks.ron hecht
non-owner...