+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 81993 djbizz1 is an unknown quantity at this point djbizz1's Avatar

Yes | No

What's the average cost to change Brake pads?

My Brake light just came on and i was wondering what is the average cost of changing the brakes for 1999 528i?
    Is it hard to change the brakes if i were to do it my self?

dru

Yes | No

Front or rear?

Registered Member
    Member No: 37260 H8LUUZN is an unknown quantity at this point H8LUUZN's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: What's the average cost to change Brake pads?

Really depends on where you are located at. It's not hard to do if you know what your doing. Do the oil first, and if thats a piece of cake, then we can move you up to doing the brakes. :)

Also, many might be in your area, and could help out if you need it.

Welcome to 2006!!!

Picture courtesy of DKSF

Registered Member

Yes | No

I'm in Santa Clara, Ca. I'm not sure if i need the front or rear. The brake light just came on, so i am guessing it's time to replace them? I have 68K on the car.

ifixharts

Yes | No

An indy shop quoted me about $350 to do the rear brakes on my '99 528i. I bought my pads from Zechhausen ($31+freight), new rotor hold-down bolts and sensor from BavAuto ($18+freight), and Brembo rotors from BMAparts ($86/pair, free shipping). I just posted yesterday how easy it was. The hardest part was getting the rotors off the hub as they were rusted pretty good and fused to each other. I'd say anytime you have the ability to do the work and save yourself some money do it. I saved $200 by doing it myself. I'm just outside of Kansas City on the Kansas side (the good side--Rock Chalk Jayhawk!). Don't know how the price would compare out west or anywhere else. Front pads and rotors cost a touch more...about $20 more for pads and $10/each for rotors from my sources.

SienaE39

Yes | No

Quoted $150 labor for Rear. Dallas, TX

Bought parts online.

Registered Member
    Member No: 37260 H8LUUZN is an unknown quantity at this point H8LUUZN's Avatar

Yes | No

It could be the fronts. Take a look at the pads front and rear, and then you will be able to determine which one it is for sure. Drop me an email if you are going to change them out yourself.

Welcome to 2006!!!

Picture courtesy of DKSF

Registered Member

Yes | No

ok, i called around and it is gonna cost me $450.00 for the front and $450.00 for the rear. I think i am just gonna do it myself. Anyone have a step by step instruction on how to do it? Also, where is the best place to buy all the parts that i need? Thanks!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

what's your email address? do you sell parts?

Registered Member
    Member No: 132983 laserjock1963 is an unknown quantity at this point laserjock1963's Avatar

Yes | No

my brake story

I went over 1000 miles with light on. Ordered pads from David Z. $82 plus shipping. Two sensors around $12 ea. plus shipping from bavauto dot com. I ended up getting the rotors from Momentum BMW in Houston, TX. $75 each but bavauto has them for $60-$70 each plus shipping. $120 each axle for labor so total was around $700 for all four, parts,labor,shipping, and tax. Oh yeah, to reset the light, turn key to on position without starting for 45 seconds and then turn off key and light should reset.

fah

Yes | No

~$500 for rears at dealer inc rotors

Registered Member
    Member No: 102059 CoachT is an unknown quantity at this point CoachT's Avatar

Yes | No

If you're doing them yourself, shop online (m)

Tire rack is one place. Their prices:
    OEM replacement pads: $29/axle ($58 total for front & rear)
    OEM style front rotors: $55 each ($110 for the front)
    OEM style rear rotors: $49 each ($98)

So... $268 + shipping for the bulk of it. Don't turn old rotors when new rotors are so cheap. Other places may have "performance" pads and rotors or "dust free". Spend what you want, but don't overdo the rotors (cross-drilled, etc.) unless you're hitting the track on weekends.

Also recommended: wear sensors for front & rear ($18/ea) and anti-squeal compound. There's a good right-up on the job in bmwtips.com, so see the link below.

At 68k miles, though, I'd be inclined to have them inspected before diving in. My '97 (a 5-speed) didn't need them until 125k. I bought the materials to do all 4, but only needed to do the front. Now at 146k, I really think the original rear brakes will go >250k.

Maybe you just need fluid, an adjustment to the emergency brake, or a new wear sensor...

Have fun,
    Coach T

1LT

Yes | No

Re: it's easy

take one rear off and one front/ look at the wear. you probally only hve to replace one or the other. I did all 4 breaks in 3 hours, that includes running out to the dealer to pick up a broken sensor. dustless pads from zeckhousen were 140$.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information