+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 35569 AlpinaMK is an unknown quantity at this point AlpinaMK's Avatar

Yes | No

How do I ID a 745 engine block?

I am trying to hunt down a good 745 engine and think I might have found one that had been swapped to another car (with a later head). It seems to have the 745 manifold and the block is printed 3.0/3.3 (I think this was right for early turbo?). Any way I can tell if it is original 745 from numbers or features on outside of block?

thanks

Just trying to figure this really strange set up I found with block as described, 86 head, Korman intake & triple Mikunis with large aftermarket air box on end. Also has 745 exhaust manifold with large turbo and intercooler above valve cover. Can't figure out if it was a tuner job or someone just throwing parts together.

NA

Yes | No

Re: How do I ID a 745 engine block?

Dont know IDs but the 535i is the same engine. I have an e30 turbo project right now. Found a E28 535i 5-speed for dirt cheap cause the guy doesnt know how to fix it. And turn that into a race sleeper turbo using the turbo manifold and such off the 745. I think i have a couple wrecked e28 535's behind my shop. I can look into it for ya if you want...

Registered Member
    Member No: 35569 AlpinaMK is an unknown quantity at this point AlpinaMK's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks, Found a turbo set up in local junk yard

and head and block are definately not right for car (82 euro with 86 head and 3.0/3.3 block) and just thought the block might be 745. Also not sure if the manifold is AM. What does your manifold look like, numbers, etc??

thanks for help.

Chris345i

Yes | No

same external dimensions...but there are a

few internal differences(oil squirters, sodium filled valves to name a couple).

Velocewest

Yes | No

Exhaust valves are Nimonic alloy, not sodium

Intakes are stock.

Tony

Registered Member
    Member No: 56878 dieseldoc1 is an unknown quantity at this point dieseldoc1's Avatar

Yes | No

easy way to find out is>>>

If the bottom end is apart and the crank is out, you can look at the crank journal. The have a drilled pass through bore that lets pressurized oil from the main bearings to squirt the underside of the piston for cooling. Other then that the block is basically the same as any old M30. It is easy to modify a stock block to make the oiler passages. Some of the older M30 based blocks are stronger due to casting webs and of course the half year M90 F1 block but they are nearly impossible to find. I have only seen two true M90 blocks in my life.

PolariShark///M635

Yes | No

I have an M90 block. Is it possible to adapt the>

745 crank, rods, pistons and oil squiters to it?

I don't think that the 745 block mounting bolt holes will line-up into an early E24 based 6er (an E12) cross member engine mounts without a fabricaated mount. That is why I would like to find out if the inner's are comapatible.

I get the feeling that they are. This is for a Korman twin turbo.

Cheers and Thanks, John

Velocewest

Yes | No

crank, rods, pistons no problem, same dims as m30

oil squirters need to be drilled through the main saddle. Not exactly a free-hand job, better to use a press or a mill for consistency and accuracy. A machine shop could do it. Sweeney from TCD just did his.

Tony

PolariShark///M635

Yes | No

Thanks for the info Velocewest

PolariShark///M635

Yes | No

By the way. Are the engine mount holes >>>

located on the block at the same place. I think they are, just not sure at this time.

Thanks and Cheers, John

Velocewest

Yes | No

Just look for the turbo oil return on the exhaust

side in the middle right above the oil pan. Regular M30 block has nothing here, M102 or M106 has a short tube (roughly 1" dia) for the return line.

The only thing special is this return hole and the oil squirters in the main jounrals to cool the pistons. A return line can be put in an aluminum pan easily, and you can tap oil squirters into an M30 block.

Tony

Chris345i

Yes | No

2 knock sensors near head on intake side

Chris345i

Yes | No

also my m106 block has 1 287 639 on exhaust side

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information