+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 61698 osborni is an unknown quantity at this point osborni's Avatar

Yes | No

HPDE Seat/Harness question

Sorry if this question has been covered before, I didn't have much luck with searches.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair of seats and a rollbar for my coupe.

As to the seats, BMWCCA requires that the seats be equivelant for the driver and the instructor. Does that mean that both seats need to be of identical make and model or can one be a different brand then the other?

The problem I have is that I'm OK with leaving in a race shell on the driver's side, but I'm pretty sure that my wife will NOT want to climb in and out of a shell every time we go to a movie or something. So I was going to get a Racetech or a Recaro SPG for my side, and then a less aggressive seat for the passenger side (but still have the same harnesses for HPDEs). Basically want to get one with lower side walls and less bolstering.

So if one seat is FIA approved does the other one have to be? Same make or just that both are race shells capable of a 5/6 point harness? What if the driver's side is composite and the passenger one is aluminum?

(I'm going to have a local race shop do the fabrication and installation of the seats, rollbar - to SCCA Solo specs, and harness attachment points.)

The CCA guidelines (as near as I can tell) just call for equivelant seats and harnesses, which is a pretty broad term.

BTW, the shop quoted me an upper end cost of $500 for the roll bar. Reasonable? It will have a diagonal and a harness bar with supports going to the rear shock towers. I'm pretty sure that I'll need to take out the rear plastic bulkhead and trim to get the harness bar at the right height though. I'll have to see when the seat goes in.

Oh, it's a 2000 M coupe.============
    2000 M Coupe
    Metalic Black
    Stock - Saving Money!!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

knock knock - is this computer on?

============
    2000 M Coupe
    Metalic Black
    Stock - Saving Money!!!

Gregor

Yes | No

Re: TC Kline

BenH over on the Coupe Board just had TC Kline put a roll bar in his Coupe. I think they charged him around $1k installed. I paid more than just for installation at my race shop. Also, many race seats will not fit in a Coupe, as the shoulder supports are too wide. People seem to be going with the Recaro Pole Positions. As to belts, I like the schroths, they are narrower shoulder belts and easy to adjust. I use the 5 point, but if I was doing it again, would have gone with the 6 point. Note with some bars, you need to remove the little tray between the seats. I replaced mine with a flat sheet of carbon fiber to clear the cross bar. And, while you have the car taken apart, time to replace the rear shock mounts if it has not been done recently. A pain after the bar is in. I used an HMS.

Gregor
    02 M Coupe

Registered Member
    Member No: 107748 Neon01 is an unknown quantity at this point Neon01's Avatar

Yes | No

Very interested to see an answer to this too.

I'm about to make a similar decision. 2004 Alpine White M3
    SMG/OEM 19s/HK/Alum Trim/OEM Alcantara/Xenons/Sirius
    P7 Brake Pedal/Euro X-Drilled Rotors/SS Brake Lines

Registered Member

Yes | No

Answer from my chapters tech.....

Basically it's that both harnesses need to be identical. Ensures that if the driver has a 6 point, the passenger will have a seat capable of that as well as the harness.

Nothing on FIA hom for the seat or harness, though it's assumed that a brand name and respected equipment maker will be used. Not a fly by night Ebay special.

The instructor has right of refusal as well, so it should keep the cheepskates out of the playground too.============
    2000 M Coupe
    Metalic Black
    Stock - Saving Money!!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 24137 msgroner is an unknown quantity at this point msgroner's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: HPDE Seat/Harness question

Seats can be different. Keep in mind that anything you do safety wise will be better then factory seats and seat belts. Once you drive with 5 or 6 point harnesses then you won't feel very comfortable in factory seat belts. You are asking questions on the club racing forum is why no one is answering. I take it by the questions asked this is for driving schools. If not, then there are rules on the BMWCCA club racing site, and roll bars are not legal. Must be a full cage.

Registered Member
    Member No: 75406 joelkaplan is an unknown quantity at this point joelkaplan's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: HPDE Seat/Harness question

...each chapter can vary but as said before......seats musn't be identical..just both quality and proper install....... belts can be 5 or 6 and equal on both sides BUT I did latch and link on pass side to save some $$$$, as driver is cam lock

As said.......TCK bar is awesome and priced well.......!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information