+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 135288 E34fan is an unknown quantity at this point E34fan's Avatar

Yes | No

short shift kit for E34

What are some recommendations for a short shift kit for a E34? I just bought a 1991 525i with the M50 engine.
    The choices I have read about range from very affordable (BMA) to very pricey and high-tech (UUC, Rogue).
    The BMA kit seems to be an upgrade using parts from the 1.9 liter Z3.
    I 'd like something to make this car feel sportier, but I don't think I'm ready to pour a lot of money into this particular part, especially since i need to put money aside on other items (rims, paint job, etc..)
    Any thoughts/suggestions?

Registered Member
    Member No: 100768 Dieppe1942 is an unknown quantity at this point Dieppe1942's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: short shift kit for E34

Shayne
    525iTA
    533iM

jeffo

Yes | No

The Z3 1.9 lever is a bolt in and already has a bend so it should center. I have one of these in an E30. For my taste not enough reduction in throw, but easy install. In my E34 I have a Z3 2.8 lever. This lever is just about perfect to me in the E34. It is a little shorter below the ball than the M levers. It is also straight so you will have to bend it to make it center in neutral. The lever can be bent by making a tool to straddle the ball with split square tubing (I used pipe and it worked but just barely) and clamping in a vice. A piece of pipe on the lever and it bends. Just match the general shape of the original lever. I recommend changing the white busing and the rubber bushing. On my car the rubber bushing is NOT oval as shown in the ETK, it is round, so beware. The bushing from the E30 fit my car perfectly. I also use the short round BMW shift knob that is a replacement for lots of cars, it is about an inch shorter than the stock oval knobs, and feels better. You can find it from most internet parts places or on ebay.

Jeff
    95 525i

cyrcil

Yes | No

I agree with above

I have the Z3 1.9 and it is shorter but the throws are just as long. Don't waste money on an aftermarket however. Check out Shayne's link. Just beware, if someone says it must be bent than be prepared to bend it! Also check out Rod Styger's Z3 page (can be found on Google). He's researched a lot of the levers and made his own. I have no affiliation.
    ...Dan.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: I agree with above

Here's what the BMA kit looks like. It says it includes the Z3 1.9l shifter (see link below). NOt sure what this means. Any suggestions?

BMA short shift kit

sport34

Yes | No

Hi if you cut rod off directly under ball add a piece of same diameter rod 1"in length make sure it is welded so the bend in the upper part of gearlever is in same position as before. I think these aftermarket ones are a rip off my e34 535i sport feels a completely different car to drive and cost next to nothing regards sport34

Registered Member

Yes | No

The link seems to apply more the E36 and E39. Is there something specific to the E34?

cyrcil

Yes | No

the best I can suggest is....

I believe the E34 and E39 shifters are similar but I have never compared them directly. Again, search for Rod Steyger on google. You can find a page where all the shifters are depicted side-by-side and I think a standard E34 is included. I definitely know that the E34 M5 shifter is depicted and having owned one I know that the E34 M5 shifter is shorter, so you can work from that reference point. In otherwords you can buy a E34 M5 shifter which will give about a 20% reduction in throws and height or compare with the other options to get even more agressive. The info's out there...
    ...Dan.

Registered Member
    Member No: 111526 william735i is an unknown quantity at this point william735i's Avatar

Yes | No

I recommend the M3 shifter!

I have the M3 shifter installed in my 535i. I should have taken a pic of the two together, but when I compared them, they looked exactly the same, except the piviot ball was higher on the M3 shifter. So, the work load was increased, but a shorter throw and lower position as seen inside the car. My trans needs synchros, so the M3 shifter wasn't the best idea, but I wouldn't hesitate doing it in a lower mileage E34!! The M3 shifter cost all of $60 at the dealer. If you are looking for less cost, there is an extender part on eBay for about 20 or 30 bucks....

Best wishes!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information