+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 136481 pikey1 is an unknown quantity at this point pikey1's Avatar

Yes | No

Battery Light

Hi All

I have a 2002 x type auto..It has developed a strange fault that the battery light will come on after a 5-10 mile run(not always).If you turn the ignition off and back on it will be ok again for maybe the rest of the day or just a few more miles.Once the light is on if you put a voltmeter on the battery it will show 12v..If you turn off and restart the car(light goes out) it will then show 14 v again.I have had the alternator replaced at Jaguars(not Cheap)but the fault is still there.Everytime i take it back to Jaguars the fault does not appear!!!
    Has anyone else had this problem?

Please help!!!

Alan

Vic

Yes | No

Re: Battery Light

At the battery main connections, both pos and neg, there are 10 mm nuts holding an additional wire to each connector. If these get dirty or loose, you will experience a Batt light occasionally.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Hi Vic

Many thanks for your reply...I have now checked these bolts and they are tight..The light is still coming on.!!Do you have any other suggestions..
    Has nobody else has this prob with there x type

Thanks

Alan

Vic

Yes | No

You would have to measure the voltage at the battery when the light is on to see if the alt is charging.

WVjag

Yes | No

Have your battery checked at your dealer or any reputable auto parts store. You may have a cell getting ready to expire.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Hi

When the light came on the voltage on the battery was 12v..Battery voltage only..When working normally it is around 14.5 v.It points to the Alternator but this has been changed..What else can it be?

Alan

Karl Wolf

Yes | No

Take it to autozone and they can test the alternator on the car.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Hi all

The car has gone back again to Jaguars with the same fault and they have replaced the Alternator again...Will have to see what happens!!

Surely i cant be the only x type owner with this fault..Can I!!

Its driving me mad!!!

Bye for now Alan

Ken

Yes | No

I have tried all of these ideas and yes my battery light comes on at times until I shut off the car. I finally had to take a picture of the light more so the guy at the dealership didn't think i was lying. Still nothing to fix it. Good luck, if you find out what will take care of it please post it.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Hi All

The car has again been back to Jaguars and they have put another alternator on the car,but the fault has reappeared!!!!They are now going to replace the battery..So we will see what happens!!
    Has nobody had this fault and had it fixed?
    I'm going mad

Cheers

Alan

Registered Member

Yes | No

Hi All

The new battery has been fitted and the fault has re-appeared.
    What else can it be?

Please help ....Its driving me mad!!

Alan

RHankey

Yes | No

Re-read Vic's suggestions, as your responses to both his posts would suggest that you missunderstood or side stepped his valued suggestions.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Hi all
    Thanks for all your replies...
    I have checked the voltage when the light comes on and it does go to 14v..I have also checked the 10mm bolts at the battery and these are ok.Jaguars have fitted 2 alternators and a battery but the persists.
    The battery does'nt seem to go flat but the battery keeps coming on.Once the car is restarted it will go out but may re-appear later.
    What else could it be?
    Any suggestions most welcolmed
    Alan

Registered Member
    Member No: 136953 execk2 is an unknown quantity at this point execk2's Avatar

Yes | No

If Jaguar has replaced 2 alternators and this is still happening, you have a choice to make. Either bring it back in and tell them to fix it or put a piece of black tape where the light is so you won't see it. Sounds to me that you alternator is not charging enough.Mike

stu

Yes | No

stu

Yes | No

sensor or resistor for light.

Karl Wolf

Yes | No

I am traveling and don't have my wiring diagram with me. Check and make sure that when it happens that ALL your electrical devices are working properly. Lights, radio, dome, etc. It sounds like the relay that feeds the input back for the lamp may not be energizing every time.

If you find anything that doesn't work when the light is on you will know wich relay to check. It could also be one of the feeds from the ignition key.

Registered Member

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Yes | No

Hi all

The saga continues......I am loosing all faith in my Jag....I am still having problems with my battery light coming on....Having replaced the Alternator and battery the fault persists....Once the light appears the battery voltage can be 12 volts or somtimes 14v...so it looks like the battery is being charged....The only way to get the light to go out is to restart the car...After this the light may stay off or it could re-appear...The connections at the battery have been checked and all seems ok...What else would bring the light on? What else could i check? Should i be entitled my to a full refund from JAgs for the Alternator/Battery when they have not fixed the problem!!
    Thanks

Alan

Registered Member
    Member No: 154917 Jaggy02 is an unknown quantity at this point Jaggy02's Avatar

Yes | No

I am having the same issue, i just replaced my battery and after a month...the light has come on..at one time my car just didnt start and a just start didnt work, i had to take the battery out and put the same one back in as to reset the car, the car started but the light came back on! Have you figured out the issue with yours?

Bruce in Canada

Yes | No

about X-type charging system

charging system

there is more about this in the thread..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information