+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 34938 Wldeyefoto is an unknown quantity at this point Wldeyefoto's Avatar

Yes | No

My Z8 has been checked.

My "driver" Z8 is at Dinan's shop awaiting its new power plant so I have been unable to check it over for deformation damage. Steve just e-mailed that the car is perfectly straight. What's of more interest to others, that car has app. 18,000 miles on it and has been driven hard. Along the way, it has encountered any number of pavement irregularities at high speeds, has bottomed out the suspension crossing railroad tracks, plus it has the reduced travel and stiffer spring rates associated with the ACS suspension kit. This leads me to believe the cars which have reported damage either have defective parts or have sustained a pretty radical "hit" somewhere along the line. The point is, at least in my case, the Z8 remains a very robust automobile capable of handling most driving situations with no resultant damage.

Steve Dinan also said they have a spare Z8 chassis in house and he believes they can engineer a prophylactic fix which might be an alternative to whatever BMW comes up with. I fully expect BMW to offer a properly engineered solution but it's nice to know that Dinan feels the problem can be readily solved.

One other point: it has been reported elsewhere that the latest generation 5 and 6 Series BMWs have experienced similiar deformations so the problem may not be unique to the Z8. I have no way to confirm this information but if true, it does offer hope that BMW's response will be swift and thorough. Grease Monkey

Registered Member
    San Juan Capistrano, california, United States
    Member No: 10561 z8.bob is an unknown quantity at this point z8.bob's Avatar

Yes | No

Good News GM. Word from Germany is that

There were no issues detected during development. I suspect that it will be several months, if not near the end of the year before any definitive fix is announced by by BMW AG..
    .<b><font Alpine><color <Gray> <Size 3>... NEXT ONE is 1 of 150</b>

Registered Member
    Member No: 121281 robz82001 is an unknown quantity at this point robz82001's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: My Z8 has been checked.

GM, very happy for you. My concern is that the "unscientific" poll on the forum already shows 1/3 of the respondents have either narrowed gaps or tower bulges. That is out of ~ 30 respondents. A statistically significant sample size for 5,700 cars is very low...in the 1%-2% range....probably less depending on numerous variables (which is how pollsters predict election winners with 2% of precincts reporting!). The survey appears fairly random (respondents from all over the country, varying miles, varying ages of cars) so if our poll gets past 60-70 respondents with similar results, we definitely have a systemic problem. Given this, I'm guessing many (> 50%) Z8s have some degree of the problem...maybe not perceptible or "within tolerance"...but probably IMHO not like the car left the factory. BMW needs to step up fast. The company has easy access to hundreds of Z8s in Southern Germany. The more they hear this, the better. I just hope they are not having similar issues w/ the 5 and 6. Our cars have been out of production for 3 years...who will get the quicker attention and fix?

Registered Member
    Member No: 16240 Z8Bud is an unknown quantity at this point Z8Bud's Avatar

Yes | No

Definitive Testing

What is the definitive way to test whether a Z8 has any problems in
    this regard? Is a good alignment shop adequate? I find the hood crack taper test and bolt alignment test pretty subjective unless there is substantial change in these things.

Registered Member

Yes | No

There's the rub...

I'm not at all sure that respondents to any board survey are representative of anything. It has been my experience that regardless of the vehicle or the problem, these types of forums tend to be overly negative and not at all representative of the population of owners or particular car models. It is very easy to have mole hills become major mountains that need conquering.

There is clearly enough evidence to be concerned. It is also clear that BMW AG is aware of the problem and appears to be in the process of addressing it. They have stated in writing that they do not view the issue as a safety matter. How soon they reach a conclusion, and what it will be remains to be seen.

Registered Member
    Member No: 103113 biffom2 is an unknown quantity at this point biffom2's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: There's the rub...

Couldn't agree more.
    2001 Silver/Red

malibu jack

Yes | No

interesting....

if everyone took the time to post the state of thier cars then prephaps the poll would be a genuine help in assessing the situation, as that is why it is there. If you click on the number (of respondents in each catagory) you'll see who took the time the help us understand the situation, and indeed those who didn't. Action speaks louder than words.

Registered Member

Yes | No

34 that's my point. less than 1% of all E52s

built and since the cars are not selected at random, the statistical sample is unreliable.

malibu jack

Yes | No

if all the cars........

in the combined online community were to take the time to check and vote in the poll there would be around 4% of the cars produced, or 8% of the cars imported.

It seems that which ever way you cut it this is an important enough issue to warrant being part of the information that is needed to understand the facts in as unbiased a way as possible.

FWIW if you, GM, Tristan, rob & biffom didn't vote, but if you did it would greatly help balance the figures. Why wouldn't that be helpful?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Who said I didn't report in?

There is more than one way to do that. Some ways <b>may</b> be more effective than others. As GM also notes, observations are subjective and some perceived defects could just be variances in assembly. I am concerned, but not overly so.

I've driven my Z8 everyday for the last 10 days, TDIW. I'll keep doing that when it suits me until we hear something definitive from BMW AG. My <b>GUESS</b> is that will be some time as I noted above. Meanwhile Iíll just enjoy the car, at least until the new M5 arrives.

malibu jack

Yes | No

beware the M5,

it is enjoying both motor and shock tower issues. Good for you for having the courage to use your Z8, I wouldn't!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 44681 Z8Bob is an unknown quantity at this point Z8Bob's Avatar

Yes | No

Gee Jack give it a rest will ya?

First its E52s and now E60s. Go drive something else already. The little "kinks" you are worrying me about are old news and have already been fixed in production.

We're done here.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information