+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 38692 scotch is an unknown quantity at this point scotch's Avatar

Yes | No

We need more power Captain!!

I'm trying to re-capture my high school daze. So, I installed a 1200 watt Sub Woofer amp. I got to enjoy it for about 3 days before it quick working properly. I found out that it's simply underpowered. Since it's underpowered it will automatically cut off power to it's own cooling fan, send wavy distorted signals to the subs, etc.

So, my choices were to buy a 500 dollar 25 farad capacitor or buy a dedicated battery with an isolator. I bought the dedicated battery and an isolator.

PROBLEM
    =-=-=-=-=-=
    I need to find the sense wire from the alternator or find out if the power distribution isn't controlled through a sense wire.

MORE INFO
    =-=-=-=-=-=
    When you put two or more batteries together like this, they need to have an isolator that 'isolates' each battery. The isolator is able to switch the power used for recharging from the alternator to the battery that needs it. The isolator controls what power goes to which battery using the sense wire. If the battries get overcharged, they can blow up.

My buddy and I think we found it but we're too scared to mess with it :-)

Registered Member
    Member No: 13509 lincoln30 is an unknown quantity at this point lincoln30's Avatar

Yes | No

What is voltage reading at the amp when it

starts cutting out??? What gauge is the wire from the amp to the battery??? I didn't change the stereo in mine but the shop I use put a 1000 watt JL in an 01 M5 to run subs along with two smaller JL amps to run mids/highs and didn't have any problem with the stock alt/batt system.
    You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely! - Ogden Nash

Registered Member
    Member No: 38692 scotch is an unknown quantity at this point scotch's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: What is voltage reading at the amp when it

Sorry, I didn't know anybody replied to my original question.

I'm running 4 gauge wire from the battery to the capacitor and then from the cap to the amp. I'm using 8 gauge for the speakers. It's all a major drain on the electrical system. I wish it would work without me having to put another battery in there, etc.

Do you know where the alternator sense wire is located? If I can find that, I'll get another battery and battery isolator.

-Scott

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information