+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 136863 gs450lz is an unknown quantity at this point gs450lz's Avatar

Yes | No

356 Overhaul

Does anyone have a rough idea how long a typical 356 engine overhaul would take an average mechanic in his garage. I have all the overhaul parts in hand. Just trying to plan my weekends. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Registered Member
    Member No: 26202 Bimmeup02 is an unknown quantity at this point Bimmeup02's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 356 Overhaul

Typical???? Allow yourself at least a month or two.
    Unfortunately, every 356/912 engine overhaul is a lesson in fiscal irresponsibility. You see, in our excitement to build a nice engine we stock up on all these wonderful parts, only to find out that we need to have our crank ground, or worse, replaced because of the more common than not crack that is found when you get your crank magnafluxed. Then, you find out that for one reason or another that you need to have your case Align-bored. Now all those wonderful Std. Bearings that you bought and can't return are left to Ebay. Whatever you find when you take it down, PLease Please Please save yourself a whole lot of money and future hassle and don't take any shortcuts, these engines will run a long time if done right...this means proper inspection and machining/balancing/assembly, but these engines are terribly unforgiving of ANY shortcutting. Sorry about the dissertation but you gotta be in the right frame of mind/finacial state, but it's an awesome feeling when you fire it up and drive away!

Eric in Alaska

Yes | No

Get the Harry Pellow video (DVD now) set

If you don't have any of Harry Pellow's wonderful books on 356 engine maintenance and overhaul, get to the website www.hcpresearch.com and order the DVD digital remaster of his old set of 5 videotapes on the complete engine overhaul process. Filmed as if he were in your garage with you ... I'll bet his spirit will be watching over your shoulder to give you courage and guidance. I had the great fortune to meet The Maestro in his shop in Cupertino, California about 20 years ago. I felt like I had made a necessary pilgrimage to the fountain of 356 engine knowledge. RIP, Harry

Eric

Bob Forman

Yes | No

Re: Get the Harry Pellow video (DVD now) set

hcpreacher.com has been taken over by somebody other than the late Harry Pellow. Try 356registry.com for the latest on what St. Harry was always trying to accomplish.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information