+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 133720 lifesmvp875 is an unknown quantity at this point lifesmvp875's Avatar

Yes | No

XK8 convertible top problems

Previously I posted a message that my convertible top would close almost all the way but the latch on the windsheild header would not come up to receive the top and I could not put the top back down either. The tops motor was not running. Another member suggested I turn the brass wing nut on the top motor in the trunk and latch the top manually allowing me to completely close it and the rear quarter windows to come up. This worked (Thanks Vic!) and now the top is once again going up and down by itself but the latch on the windsheild header is still acting erraticly. As I am raising the top the latch should be coming up but it is instead going back down. When the top is closed and I try to lower it the latch doesn't want to release it right away and the top pops open. Does anyone know if this latch is supposed to be greased? Is the latches operation electric or hydraulic? If it is hydraulic I was thinking it is possible the fluid is gummed up in the motor (If it is the same fluid the top uses)I recently topped off the fluid because the tops operation was slow but everything seemed to be working fine and the tops operation is now speedy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! You guys are the best!

Registered Member
    Member No: 25764 tukatz is an unknown quantity at this point tukatz's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: XK8 convertible top problems

When I had my fluid replaced and the system cleaned (fortunately while still under warranty) the dealer stripped out the latching mechanism and installed new parts. The old fluid had indeed gummed up the works and I was getting the same sort of problems you are experiencing. You might be able to take things apart and clean and resinstall. I'm sure for the dealer it was quicker and easier (and covered by Jaguar) to just put in new parts.

Vic

Yes | No

Most likely, the latch is filled with fluid that has hardened. You need to remove the latch assembly, flush te system with new fluid and clean the latch of gummed fluid.
    It's about a three hour job, usually takes 1 can of Pentosin fluid.

Registered Member
    Member No: 95934 mjag60e is an unknown quantity at this point mjag60e's Avatar

Yes | No

Be careful and err on the side of caution

This can be a tricky job if you do it correctly. If you are sure that the fluid has become hardened you need to not only flush the system of the fluid like vic suggests but if your latch is really sticking you need to go another step. The latch that clamps the top down is actuated by a small hydraulic cylinder. This cylinder needs to be removed, the piston taken out (via a snap ring in the end), and thouroly cleaned out of all the fluid that has gelled. Be very careful to not score the cylinder walls nor damage any seals. I completely reworked my cylinder with new seals and it is working flawlessly. What year is your car because if it is a 2000 or earlier If I were you while I was taking the effort to replace the fluid and clean my cylinder I would replace the hydraulic hoses. They have a tendancy to "blow out" from their connections and spew hydraulic fluid all over the interior of your car. These hoses are actually plastic. Can you believe a car this expensive and a hydraulic system that is a nightmare to access the manufacturer would skimp and put plastic hosing in a hydraulic system?? Thanks Jaguar!!!

johnmeller

Yes | No

I am having approximately the same problem, but, I cannot get the top to go either up or down even with the wingnut loosened and an alan wrench and the quarter windows are stuck in the down position. The top is an inch from closed and won't go either way and it doesn't sound like the motor is running. Does anyone have instructions on how to get the header removed and the latch out, how to replace and check the fluid, and finally how to get the top moved out of the way to do this. Thanks, John

richyp

Yes | No

John,
    It may be a number of snags;-
    1. Check the fuses for the top.
    2. In the boot, pull the liner away around the CD changer, the pump sits on top of the Stereo rack. The hyd res should be circa 2/3 full of clear fluid.
    3. The 1/4 windows are sequenced off a series of micro switches in the top-latch. A, try using the allen key again and pull down on the hood using the finger shaped cut out in the roof. B, once latched return the valve to the normal position and press the roof closed button.
    4. If this fails, you need to pull and clean the top latch mechinism:
    A. Remove the overhead consul (pull down)
    B. Remove the sun visors (3 screws each)
    C. Remove the headliner
    D. Remove the @ 10x torx fittings that hold the latch/cam mech in place.
    E. Working from above, remove the finisher plate 4x screws (I think)
    F. Undo the 2x Hyd lines from the top latch.
    G. Jobs a "good un"

Tip 1. Number the electrical connections in the overhead consul, they are NOT idiot proof.
    Tip 2. Do not force the roof back, it will have an inch or so of play but any more will bend the whole mech
    Tip 3. If there is ANY SIGN of wear on the hoses, REPLACE THEM
    Tip 4. Warn your friends, family, neighbours that your language will be explicit for the next few hours!!
    Lets us all know how you get on.
    Regards,
    Rich

Registered Member
    Member No: 168043 BrianOrffer is an unknown quantity at this point BrianOrffer's Avatar

Yes | No

How do I move the roof out of the way, to remove the cover plate in order to get to the top latch?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information