+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 137016 redrocket-wi is an unknown quantity at this point redrocket-wi's Avatar

Yes | No

SES light went off today - please read

By off I mean it was on and now it's off. It has come on 4 times in the last 45 days. The first time I replaced the secondary air pump. The second time I replaced the air valve. My shop didn't charge me because they said they should have done the valve when they did the pump. The third time I was told about the carbon build up issue. I was told to use a techron fuel additive & let my tech get more info on the problem. He reset the light. On the advice of board posters, I also did 2 10 minute runs at 65mph in 3rd on the highway (5000 rpm). Four days ago it came on again & I figured the only way to get it off was to do some kind of carbon fix. I was delaying to try to do research on how to approach BMWNA on trying to get it covered under emissions warranty. I was really worried that this BEAUTIFUL car that I have owned less than 1 year is now going to cost me HUGE. Today, on my third bottle of the fuel additive, the light went off. I was told that lights usually need to be turned off by a shop & don't usually turn off by themselves. Any thoughts on this topic would be very helpful. By the way, in 12 months of use, 8000 miles, & 2 oil changes, I have NEVER added oil. Oil was changed when I bought it (56K)& at the (60K) service. It now has 64K miles & I'm probably due for a change soon. My tech said that the check oil light comes on when the level is 1 pint low & I have never seen it. Is this unusual? I have read so much on the board about these cars burning oil. Thanks for reading this long post. All thoughts are appreciated.

RedRocket
    2001 stock 64K
    Milwaukee WI

Registered Member
    Member No: 25888 mottati is an unknown quantity at this point mottati's Avatar

Yes | No

sounds like carbon

check out m5board . com, there have been several who have gotten this covered as 'goodwill' and i would follow their lead. Good Luck!
    Mike

Registered Member
    Member No: 136143 oxford is an unknown quantity at this point oxford's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Try 'Terra Clean' ?

I think I saw an article about a new product called 'Terra clean'
    on the M5board that sounded promising. My SES light has also come on and off a number of times and nobody has pinned it down. Of course I
    took the car in for testing and the SES went & hide again.
    If you try the terra clean please post back your M5 brothers!!!

02 M5
    98 740il

Registered Member
    Member No: 25888 mottati is an unknown quantity at this point mottati's Avatar

Yes | No

shouldn't be too much confusion, if ses light is o

if the SES light is on, codes are stored. You need a shop with the correct tools/knowledge or a dealership to pull the codes.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information