+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 34392 amplidyne is an unknown quantity at this point amplidyne's Avatar

Yes | No

E36 Headlight upgrades

Hi Guys,
    I've been reading a lot of stuff about E36 headlights and aftermarket options avalibale and finally decided to do something about the headlights on my 97 E36 M3.
    As most of E36 owners know, factory headlights just flat out suck. Light output is so poor that sometimes during evening hours while driving, I wonder if they were actually 'ON' or it was just my fog light on. Anyway, I finally decide to buy euro ZKW headlights from UMNITZA(good buying experience). I also ordered "angle eyes" rings pre-installed. I did not go HID as I wanted to keep things simple and not to worry about HID issues that may arise down the road. Once installed, these headlight sure made a huge difference. I loved the look,light output and only regret I had was - "why didn't I do it earlier!".

Recently I read couple of articles in Roundel(August 2005 for those who have it) about some H1 bulb options that I could use with ZKW assembly. One of the option(ORSAM EURO SILVERSTAR +50%) stood out as output graphs was so close to HID with peak output(79 ft-cd vs 54 ft-cd for U.S) almost 50% more compared to U.S. spec Orsam H1 bulb(sold as Sylvania silverstar in U.S store). Even though I was so skeptical about the claim of 50% more light from a bulb that looked very similar to what I had, I ordered two pairs from a guy("pdburg") on ebay as pointed out in the article. Once I got the bulbs, it was time to test them out. I made sure to take picture before and after the install since I wanted to see the truth in their claim.
    Honestly, I did not expected much of a difference but when I compared the before and after pictures, I was pleasantly surprised.
    Here are the pictures I took to show the differences. Both pictures are taken with fog lams on. Fog lamps still have standard U.S spec H1 bulb(you can sense next upgrade upcoming!!).

If anyone plan to upgrade, I would suggest buying either ZKW or Hella headlights, even though they are more expensive that cheap ebap options or Depo but projector lense is very different and quality of product is unmatch by ebay copies. Depo is fine but if you love your car, you got to get the best for it. So I didn't mind putting higher upfront cost(US$607 shipped) than recurring cost on cheap replacements. Also, remember "Sylvania silverstar H1 Bulbs" and "Orsam euro silverstar +50% H1 Bulbs" are very different products in light output even though same company make them.

Oh.. one final note, Do not touch the glass of your H1 bulb during installation as oil deposit from fingers will create hotspot on bulb surface and they will burn out sooner.

Thanks

LT96

Yes | No

Re: E36 Headlight upgrades

Registered Member
    Member No: 136502 E60owner is an unknown quantity at this point E60owner's Avatar

Yes | No

would recommend hids.

Registered Member
    Member No: 136502 E60owner is an unknown quantity at this point E60owner's Avatar

Yes | No

We have new ones in stock

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information