+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 16240 Z8Bud is an unknown quantity at this point Z8Bud's Avatar

Yes | No

Z8 Structural Design Flaw

This is tragic news and I hate to bring reality to this forum and I know that this issue has been debated previously....BUT....I just spoke with a very high level engineer specializing in (among other things) race cars, who owns two Z8's and has intimate knowledge of the design flaw issue. It is his opinion that there is a very serious
    design flaw in our Z8's which will eventually lead to failure in nearly all of them. (The strut tower/bracing frame issue). He believes that this is NOT fixable in any simple or cost effective way (struts, bolt on braces etc.). Moreover, he and others believe that there are only two options. One is a MAJOR retrofix (read expensive) and the other is a wholesale buyback of all cars by BMW. He recommends that our Z8's NOT be driven at all, since the minor flexing of everyday driving will eventually cause failure, which is accelerated by a more sudden impact such as driving over railroad tracks or a pothole. The consensus of those in-the-know is that BMW WILL NOT act without a lawsuit....period.! And the more time that goes by without anyone taking action, the more BMW will hunker down and stone-wall owners. I don't know about you, but I did not spend 150K for a paperweight!

zorroz8

Yes | No

Re: Z8 Structural Design Flaw

Just in case the board didn't read tthe folowing message posted 1/25/06:

The last stop at the service "South bay BMW" 9/15/05 was to replace the left back shock absorber, "base on their diagnosis"! I had a ringing sound like little bells every time a hit a litle bump audible with the top down at low speeds, the funny thing that after they replaced the shock absorber, the sound still was there??? Let's hope is nothing to be concern with!! another one from my Z8.

ps. this ringing sound is not music to my hears! 2/13/2006

Registered Member
    Member No: 121281 robz82001 is an unknown quantity at this point robz82001's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Z8 Structural Design Flaw

I have to agree with Tristan on this. But a lawsuit means this thing will be tied up in the courts for YEARS...BMW has DEEP pockets. I, for one, cannot allow my car to gather dust in my garage until 2007, 2008, 2009 or whenever the dust settles....I might as well sell it tomorrow and lick my wounds. Regrettably, the ONLY way BMW will be spurred into action is if (God forbid) it becomes a proven and documented safety issue (someone gets hurt...maimed...killed)....just like w/ Ford and Firestone. Otherwise, we'll be stonewalled forever. Again, I have not heard of the Z8 suffering any accidents due to this potential flaw. Is it safe??? Until I hear from BMW that it is not...and that may be years away, or never, I'll keep driving. With spring right around the corner, I'll be planning numerous road trips here in the South. Heck, I might even plan something out West. I have 21 months left on my lease. So I'll be driving it for all its worth....which, I'm afraid, seems to diminish daily. Peace.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information