+ Reply to Thread
    Mark

Yes | No

Oil Analysis as part of PPI

Hello all M5 owners:

Thinking about including an engine/transmission oil analysis as part of a pre-purchase inspection.

Any thoughts for or against? What does it cost to have a reputable lab do the analysis? How large a sample is needed?

Thanks,

Mark

Prairieman

Yes | No

Re: Oil Analysis as part of PPI

my 2 cents - I wouldn't:

oil analysis is typically done on a periodic basis (sample taken at each oil change) and the results are compared to the previous data points as part of an overall maintenance program. You are looking for drastic changes from one snapshot to the next, over time. If the car you're considering is currently generating brass or steel or aluminum numbers of say.... (total guess here) 10 PPM - that may be normal for that engine. Obviously, if a material is being generated at 100K PPM rate, there is something getting ready to let go. The test results will also vary depending how long the oil has been in service. I do not know what labs get for the service these days.

I would say if the engine has acceptable compression and leakdown numbers, and there are receipts for regular oil changes and other maintenance, you're good to go.

Brad
    1979 635CSi
    1981 745i
    1991 M5
    1992 735i

Registered Member
    Member No: 128931 xqusme999 is an unknown quantity at this point xqusme999's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Oil Analysis as part of PPI

"Obviously, if a material is being generated at 100K PPM rate, there is something getting ready to let go."

That is precisely what I'm hoping to detect with the analysis. If any of the numbers are way off the scale, that should indicate that something is ready to let go as you suggest.

- ads

Yes | No

Blackstonelabs-about $20, 4 oz.

They'll send you a proper container.
    If owner has recently changed oil I'd say it's all but pointless.
    It's important to either have the oil warm, or if drained, stir it vigorously in container before getting a sample as it stratifies fairly quickly.

Blackstone (probably others) will interpret the data, but again, if the oil was just changed, doubt there's much to see, although antifreeze in oil could show up quickly, and this probably is one of the larger worries.

Doubt it will happen, but if post-office asks hard questions, remind them that 4 oz of motoroil, (or I think almost any petroleum product) falls under any hazardous shipment rules/regs.

Turnaround of report is usually VERY quick, espeically email report.

Best of luck
    ads

Registered Member
    Member No: 128931 xqusme999 is an unknown quantity at this point xqusme999's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks I'll post my findings when I get test back

Prairieman

Yes | No

that sounds reasonable for - fee/service chg.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information