+ Reply to Thread

Thread: heater leak

Registered Member
    Member No: 28162 davebmw is an unknown quantity at this point davebmw's Avatar

Yes | No

heater leak

hi guys, yesterday i had what seemed like a minor explosion,
    hose,heater control or heater core,blasted steam/coolant on my right ankle,quite a bad burn,
    can someone please advice on how to diagnose where the leak is likely to be?heater valve ,heater core?
    how too dismantle/remove items?
    thx in anticipation of your replies,dave

R. Davis

Yes | No

Re: heater leak

I had the same problem about 4 years ago and I got burned bad also. I took it to my mechanic and he said it was the heater valve. The heater valve is a cheap fix compared to the heator core. The heater core replacement will require going behind your dash. I forgot what I paid to fix my heater valve, but it was under 100 dollars.Heater Core will cost you..........Hope it helps a little.

jpl

Yes | No

I replaced both the heater core and valve recently. Most likely the heater core has failed but it's possible that it's just the valve. For me it was worth replacing both for peace of mind. Mine started leaking after the head gasket went and the extra pressure in the coolant system made the the heater core fail. To replace both you need to disassemble the driver side lower dash and the center console. I have the shop manual and the Koala Motorsports e30 m3 Repair manual. The Koala Manual has a good section with pictures for replacing both the heater core and valve. Replacement was not that difficult just time consuming as you need to take apart a long sequence of parts. Make sure to have a thin pan to catch the coolant when you crack the heater core/valve connections. Is the Koala Motorsports CD worth the price? I'm not sure. Good luck

jpl

Yes | No

Make sure and get new O-rings. There is also a Torx screw (T20?) on the pipe clamp near the firewall.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information