+ Reply to Thread
    bimmernut1

Yes | No

'03 M5 or '06 Cayenne S

As hard core car guys, I'd appreciate your opinions. I'm starting to have more problems than I'm prepared to deal with on my 93 740. It's got 187k on the odometer but the engine has only 20k on it. Replaced by dealer due to the Alusil issue. However, the seals, rubber bushings, and hoses constantly need replacement. Right now, I've got everything working but I know it's just a matter of time before I need to do something else. So, I'm thinking of making a change in the next couple months.

With kids, I'm looking for another daily driver to replace the 740. I drive about 18k miles a year, mostly freeway but within the city. I've wanted an M5 for years but I tried out an '05 Cayenne S and it's no slouch, so an 05 or 06 Cayenne S is also being considered. Speed is not the prevailing factor for me because I have a 911 and 993 C4S to take care of that itch.

However, I like to make the daily grind commutes enjoyable as well. I do have to deal with snow here so I'd need two sets of tires regardless which route I go. I called on insurance and was surprised to find that the insurance on the '03 M5 is about $350 more a year than on the new Cayenne S. I also think the 05 and 06 Cayennes don't have the maintenance issues the earlier ones did.

I know I'm asking M5 owners, but I'd appreciate your thoughts on the two. Basically, I'm weighing the power and classic looks of the M5 against the praticality of the Cayenne S. Oh, I tend to keep cars a long time (10+ years) before I sell.

Which do you think may hold their value the longest and require the less amount of maintenance as they age? How well does the M5 perform with snow tires? Have you seen any SES issues on the '03 models?

thanks

ngs_m5

Yes | No

With 993 and snow, go Cayenne.

I have an 03 M5 and love it. Contemplating adding an SUV. I will be taking the 03 in for random SES next week(probably one other instance of SES within 40k miles). Sports car and suv is a nice stable.

bimmernut1

Yes | No

Thanks for input.

Right now, I'm about 70% Cayenne S, 30% M5. Next week it will probably change. I know the Cayenne is probably the most practical, given my other cars, but I've wanted an M5 as long as I can remember. I put a lot of stock in your thoughts as you already have an M5 and your suggestion is just based on the facts.

Funny about the SES light, the 96 through 98 993's with OBD II have the exact same issue. Ours is called a CEL light. It's the same cause however, where the SAI ports get clogged. The OBD I cars (1995) also get clogged ports but don't trip the light. Just like on the M5's, the clogged ports don't affect performance but do impact those that live in a state where emission inspection is required.

I think the only difference (from my limited reading of the SES issue) between the M5 and 993 trip is that the Porsches trip the CEL light when they don't detect a lean condition via the O2 sensor during that first minute or so of startup; where the M5's use a pressure signal to determine there is no air flow. Both groups are working on a way to fix the light issue without the expensive head rebuild. If you search for "CEL" on the Porsche 993 boards, you'll see similar discussions to the SES discussions on the M5 boards.

If you do have the SES issue, hopefully you don't live in a state where you have to pass an emissions test.

Rick Key

Yes | No

M5 or if offroading ... more

For a fun daily driver with room for the family or friends the M5 can't be beat IMHO. The Cayenne will simply not handle as well or feel as small as the M5. If you plan on offroading too I would get a cheap(er) offroader like a Jeep Grand Cherokee or some such that you wont care about scratching and bashing up. My .02 cents...

Registered Member
    Member No: 64039 911M5 is an unknown quantity at this point 911M5's Avatar

Yes | No

Funny you should mention it....

You are going through the very same decision I just made.

I have a 1996 993 TT that I bought after selling my 1996 Carrera 2 cabriolet. I drove a 2001 740iL for the last two years until Friday when I sold it because I got the itch!! I decided I wanted either a Cayenne S or an M5. Both very cool, very German, and plenty of power.

I chose the M5 for several reasons, but the main ones were:

1) "Pure raw power feel from sports sedan" versus "just enough power to do the job" (Cayenne TT is a different story)
    2) I love the lines and looks of the M5
    3) Resale value - depreciation of a 2001-2003 M5 has slowed and will eventually level off. I drove a 1991 M5 for three years and sold it for more than I bought it for. Try doing that in a new car of any type.
    4) I already own an SUV. We get a little snow in Nashville, but not enough to change my mind.

I don't know where you live or how big a deal that is, but if you can live without the 4wd, I think the M5 is the answer. If you have a daily commute that you cannot avoid bad weather, the Cayenne is the better choice. Sucks that weather might be your determining factor, but I think it is.

I have driven both, and the M5 wins HANDS DOWN on driving enjoyment, although I love the Cayenne S and might own one someday. If you have an alternative vehicle in the family for bad weather, get the M.

bimmernut1

Yes | No

Re: Funny you should mention it....

I live in Kansas. We do get snow a few times a year. Never very much; anything over 2-4" is the exception. I'm running dedicated snow tires on my 740 in the winter and switch back in the spring. I assume the M5 has LS and could perform satisfactorily in the snow with the correct tires? My wife has a SUV so on extreme snow days, I can either just stay home or take hers.

This is a tough decision. I test drove a 2006 Cayenne S this weekend. With the paddle shifters on the steering wheel and 340 HP, it would also make a great daily driver. Obviously it's not as nimble and powerful as the M5 but I've got the 993 to handle that fix. I've just got to make up my mind whether I want to deal with shifting gears every day as I would with the M5. To make matters worse, when I left the office today, there was a black e39 parked right next to me with dealer plates still on. Maybe somebody's trying to give me a message.

Registered Member
    Member No: 64039 911M5 is an unknown quantity at this point 911M5's Avatar

Yes | No

All I can tell you is this: I drove a 1991 E34 M5 for three years and got frustrated because I drove a stick with no cup holder and no hands free phone.

So I got the 2001 740iL. I drove it and loved it. Hands free phone, cup holder (bad one), automatic tranny, etc, etc, etc, ... guess what? I missed the M5, I missed the daily shifting, I missed all of it.

So now, two years later, I am again getting a stick to drive on a daily basis. This time however, I have a cup holder, a hands free phone (bluetoooth upgrade), and 400 horses to boot. A cayenne is great, but my wife has a Denali. I don't need two SUV's. That is where my decision came from.

I wish you luck with yours, but I would tell you I think you will enjoy your commute more 11 1/2 months out of the year in an M5.

Happy Hunting!

bimmernut1

Yes | No

Decided

I'm going with the M5. I made an offer Friday on a 2003. I try to think decisions through but once I make one I tend to move quickly. We're apart on price but I'm in no hurry, and refuse to make an emotional decision. If this one goes through great, if not, someone is watching out for me and I'll get a better one.

The main reason I chose the M5 was I finally decided what type of vehicle I wanted to drive everyday for the next several years. That and I've always wanted an M5. You guys convinced me that the shifting wouldn't be that bad and this was a major hurdle.

I was also disappointed with Porsche's pricing structure for new vehicles. By the time I added the options that are standard on the M5, the CayenneS was pushing $70k, far from the advertised price.

Thanks again for the input.

bimmernut1

Yes | No

It's done.

I picked the car up yesterday and drove it back about 300 miles. One of the best 300 mile drives I've ever head. The only thing close was when I bought a Porsche C4S and drove it about 800 miles from Texas. The M5 is a Titatium Silver 2003 M5. No doubt I made the right choice. I'll post a photo at the first opportunity.

thanks for the advice

Green///Machine

Yes | No

Congrats... Enjoy!

Registered Member
    Member No: 63910 bimmernut1 is an unknown quantity at this point bimmernut1's Avatar

Yes | No

photo

It's not the best of photos since it was a cloudy day, but this is the 2003 M5 I ended up getting. I've since had it tinted which makes it look even better to me. Loving every minute of M5 ownership so far.

Actually today was the first day the Cayenne even came back to mind when I had to take my kids to a Boy Scout camp down a dusty twisting dirt road. The car handled the road great and fit right in next to all the SUVs once I arrived. Actually, it was fun coming back uphill; a little torque and a dirt road can be interesting.

NGS_M5

Yes | No

Congrats

Registered Member
    Member No: 120461 tyree326 is an unknown quantity at this point tyree326's Avatar

Yes | No

I am in middle Tennessee also. Are you BMW CCA? We have a few other E39 M5's in the Old Hickory Chapter also. What year/color is your M5?

BMW CCA #141150
    Current:
    1999 E36 323is Cosmos-Schwarz (Coming out of winter storage)
    1991 E34 ///M5 Glanschwarz (Coming out of winter storage)
    2001 E46 325it AlpenWeiß
    1985 Mercedes 300SD Turbo Diesel 301k

Remembered:
    1985 E24 635csi Dauphins Graues Metallische

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information