+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 47510 chivas is an unknown quantity at this point chivas's Avatar

Yes | No

if the EPA got involved then it would be a recall

then it shouldn't cost any of the owners now anything.

Registered Member
    Member No: 111493 rajaieq is an unknown quantity at this point rajaieq's Avatar

Yes | No

Your understanding is completely correct

Rajaie
    528i 5sp 06/00

Registered Member

Yes | No

S52 probably no, S54 probably yes

The S52 has a single vanos. It probably doesnít have the spring in the vanos, so leaking seals would probably be ok. Like the M52 Iím not sure if there could be other implications.
    The S54 has a double vanos. This is a different vanos design than the M52TU/M54/M56, but it does look fairly similar. Thus I would expect that it would also have a spring inserted into the exhaust vanos cylinder. If you can get your hands on the vanos you could easily tell. The exhaust piston will be difficult to push into the vanos cylinder. Youíll find the intake side easily moves. I suspect if you find and look at the BMW S54 engine documentation the spring will be discussed in the vanos section.

I donít know about the European models you reference.
    Rajaie
    528i 5sp 06/00

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: What About High Start-up Oil Pressure?

We didnít try to assess the oil/seal functionality at varying temperatures. It might well be that initial failure takes place within a certain temperate range.
    We did show though that when an M52TU engine is experiencing cold engine symptoms, that its vanos is also not functioning well at other temperatures. When we replaced the pistons/seals on a vanos with cold engine symptoms, the performance notably improved at all temperatures. The improvement characteristics were the same as the oneís credited to the double vanos. The cold engine symptoms also resolved. Thus we believe that when a vanos is experiencing cold engine failure, it will also malfunction at all engine temperatures.
    I am currently not experiencing cold engines symptoms, but do believe that my vanos is not functioning as well as when new. The vanos pistons/seals are one year old now.

Hope this addressed your question.
    Rajaie
    528i 5sp 06/00

Twobeemers

Yes | No

Lovely - I REALLY hope this gets resolved somehow.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Tony, I've emailed you

Rajaie
    528i 5sp 06/00

Registered Member

Yes | No

Tony, I've emailed you

Rajaie
    528i 5sp 06/00

Registered Member
    Member No: 56621 tony540iA is an unknown quantity at this point tony540iA's Avatar

Yes | No

got it. Back at you

Raoul R

Yes | No

Re: Also file complaint on NHSTA

Anything that remotely sounds like stalling will interest NHTSA. I had this problem for awhile two winters ago, but it resolved itself and has not occurred since.

Raoul R
    1999 528iT 5sp 11/98

Wookies Girl

Yes | No

Re: 6-cyl double vanos problem assessment

Can you tell me how I know if my 99 528i has this type of engine in it... I can say that I have this issue in the morning only when it is cold enough

frankieNJ

Yes | No

I have same problem, 2000 528i

Hi All,

I have the exact same problem. 2000 528i sport/prem stickshift with 73,000 miles.
    Idle is very rough only when cold. Idle bounces and sometimes stalls, again, only when cold. No fault codes whatsoever appear on the dash. I usually don't turn on the heat until the temp needed is dead center, helping the car to heat up faster, approx. 5 minutes. Still unacceptable for a $45,000 car with less than 80k miles.

frankieNJ

Craig in Canada

Yes | No

M52TU started on 9/98 production E39

..according to everything I've seen. This corresponded to the launch of the E46 which used the M52TU from the start.

E39 pre-9/98 are M52. This is why Dinan (and other tuners) draw a line between before and after 9/98 for chips and other engine mods.

Craig.

Registered Member
    Member No: 124621 kgorczyn is an unknown quantity at this point kgorczyn's Avatar

Yes | No

Another 2000 528i with exact same issue...

Although I'm in FL and it's never really that cold here. There have a been a few nights in the 30s and that's when the RPMs take a nice dip down low every 20-30 seconds until the car warms up.

:-/

frankieNJ

Yes | No

Re: Another 2000 528i with exact same issue...

In NJ we have long winters and this problem gets annoying. i've decided to just let it be until BMW decides to take responsibility for such a [email protected] design. These are high dollar cars, so they should just recall them and fix the problem correctly.

I mean really, c'mon BMW, how bout fixing the problem under "recall", taking a small loss, and improving brand loyalty. I gotta say, this is my second BMW, but i don't think i'll buy a third if this stuff keeps up. Much easier and less risky to buy an Acura, Toyota, or Infiniti for 35K fully loaded, and pocket the extra cash.

BMWs are no longer AS superior as they USED TO be. The competition is catching up. BMW, listen to your customers for once!!!!

frankieNJ

Registered Member
    Member No: 93171 volatile21 is an unknown quantity at this point volatile21's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 6-cyl double vanos problem - 99 528

You have the same engine. It is a M52TU (TU = Technical Update). Manufactured from 99 on. Prior to the 99 year I believe the engine (M52) only had a single VANOS. The M52TU has intake and exaust. I also have a 99 528 and experience this problem a lot, and I'm in Atlanta. I would hate to live a "Cold" climate, it would really piss my off!

Steve

Registered Member

Yes | No

My info was wrong, no rotation

Loach noted in a recent email that the vanos piston incorporates a bearing. Itís been so long since weíd looked at this aspect that Iíd forgotten. The splined shaft mounts onto a bearing plate in the center of the piston. The plate not only rotates but it also shifts freely. Iím not sure what type of bearing this is. As I recall we compared an old vanos piton bearing to a new one and found no difference. The old bearing seems to function well. The inner seals are beaten-up.
    Rajaie
    528i 5sp 06/00

Wookies Girl

Yes | No

Re: 6-cyl double vanos problem - 99 528

Yesterday I picked my car up from my the new shop I am taking it to and I tried to tell the SA about this issue and he said.. Nope not your car.. Ok whatever

Registered Member
    Member No: 33342 rmedure is an unknown quantity at this point rmedure's Avatar

Yes | No

Don't forget ...

Cold running issue can also be a vacuum leak ... and sometimes hard to find bad CVV.
    Cheers!
    Robert

'99 540i sport, 6 spd
    3.15 differential
    Stop Tech front big brake kit, SS lines
    Eibach front/rear sway bars
    Dinan strut tower brace
    Hamman HM2 18" wheels w/Potenza SO3 tires
    Rogue Engineering short shifter
    Zionsville Autosport aluminum radiator
    Resonator delete
    ACS exhaust
    ACS front & rear body kits
    ACS 3 piece trunk spoiler
    ACS pedal set and e-brake handle
    CDV delete
    EVO Sport under-drive pulley kit
    M5 Grills
    Hella Xenon AE, auto leveling, clear corners
    Clear rear tail lights
    Clear sidemarkers
    Pre-wired V1 radar
    Traction control default "OFF"
    Homelink (lighted)
    Icelink w/ID tag display
    35% titanium tint

I am a BMW Car Club of America member, are you? http://www.bmwcca.org/

Registered Member
    Member No: 134577 tinius is an unknown quantity at this point tinius's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 6-cyl double vanos problem assessment

My 99 528iT (11/98) purchased last fall exhibits exactly the same symptom. In fact, I was in the forum this evening to write up a query about the problem when I read this post.

Thanks and looking forward to a solution.
    -stephen

Registered Member
    Member No: 105705 tlcoll5866 is an unknown quantity at this point tlcoll5866's Avatar

Yes | No

first time stall

My 99 has all the problems listed, but having a 5 speed it never stalls. Well it did. What are the long term effects? Spring is slowly arriving. Should I put this at the top of my repair list? Or is this they all do that? I need some parts for my car, Clutch switch, and underengine shielding, is it dealer or someone else. I live outside Philly in Pa. Thanks Tim 99' 528is, 73 2002 tii,
    bmwcca 50787

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information