+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Zak

Yes | No

2000 328CI with same problem...

Well one more victim right here. I live in canada and it gets really darm cold up here. My 328CI started doing this some a couple months ago. I have an appointment at a local BMW shop next week and I'm almost certain that my VANOS will need to be replaced. I will print out your letters and bring them in with me and see what he says. I too am a Mechanical Engineer! Its always nice to see the service rep. squirm when they are dealing with someone who actually knows what the problem is... I will Keep you posted on the outcome.

Thanks a lot for your hard work!
    Zak
    2000 328CI.

Registered Member
    Member No: 138746 ZakR is an unknown quantity at this point ZakR's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 6-cyl double vanos problem assessment

Well one more victim right here. I live in canada and it gets really darm cold up here. My 328CI started doing this some a couple months ago. I have an appointment at a local BMW shop next week and I'm almost certain that my VANOS will need to be replaced. I will print out your letters and bring them in with me and see what he says. I too am a Mechanical Engineer! Its always nice to see the service rep. squirm when they are dealing with someone who actually knows what the problem is... I will Keep you posted on the outcome.

Zak
    2000 328CI.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Another Victim... 328CI in shop next week.

Zak
    2000 328CI.

Registered Member
    Member No: 125870 Bo528 is an unknown quantity at this point Bo528's Avatar

Yes | No

I have the same problem '99 528iA

If you do a search, I've posted a lot about this in the past with no results.
    -1999 BMW 528iA-

Registered Member
    Member No: 134675 ACS_Nick is an unknown quantity at this point ACS_Nick's Avatar

Yes | No

I have this problem as well on my 1999 528i

I seriously hope BMW steps up and does something about this. Excellent writeup Loach & Rajaie, good work.

Registered Member
    Member No: 89593 JeffDunes is an unknown quantity at this point JeffDunes's Avatar

Yes | No

Idle Problem on 328Ci

I have the problem on my 2000 328Ci. When the ambient tempurature is roughly 50 degrees or less and the engine is cold, the idle dips sharply every minute or so, until the engine warms up. The problem does not occur when the engine is warmed up or when the ambient tempurature is above 60 degrees. When warm the idle is steady as it should be all the time.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Idle Problem on 328Ci

My dealer quoted me 1300$ plus tax to fix this problem.

Registered Member
    Member No: 138806 johnc619 is an unknown quantity at this point johnc619's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Idle Problem on 328Ci

Zak,

I too have a 328ci e46 and experiencing the problems stated above. I was wondering if you knew if this double vanos problem will lead to any other mechanical failures.

Registered Member
    Member No: 24813 jtt777 is an unknown quantity at this point jtt777's Avatar

Yes | No

BMW NA where are you???

BMW NA Customer Service,

You saw this note and said you would be getting back to us 2 weeks ago? What happened?

I had this covered under warrantly once but surpise surpise i'm dealing with it again and now I'm outside warranty. We should not be forking over $1000+ because of a bad seal especially if you failed to fix the problem the first time around.

I've already had the subframe problem on my car ($2000) which wasn't covered by BMW NA even though it was an an obvious design flaw with the first couple 328ci models which BMW AG covered. Please don't screw me over again.

Regards,
    Jeff

JimC

Yes | No

Look for them in denial. Mostly a PR group.

blue

Yes | No

Can someone list the models that have M52TU

engines and their years?

I am in the market for a used BMW and would like to know which ones to avoid if possible.

Thanks for the article.
    -blue

DTisa

Yes | No

I know this guy with a 56 coupe named...

OLD GUY...he farts dust out of his [Oops!].

Registered Member
    Member No: 41563 nukeman is an unknown quantity at this point nukeman's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 6-cyl double vanos problem assessment

Count me in for the Vanos problem...I've been complaining to the dealer about this for a long time, and have gotten no positive responses...only the "everything's fine" response.

Certainly hope BMW NA steps up to the plate on this issue, as I, too, am out of warranty (but was not when I first started complaining!)

Go UCONN!

Nuke

adrean8j

Yes | No

Re: Great team work! Maybe Loach doesn't enjoy writing

Great work Loach and Rajaie! I have a euro-spec 523i and the exact same problem....but all these symptoms did not show up until after a camshaft swap....any reason why that would happen or was it just bound to happen? My car was running like a champ before that...and then we had the horrible idle, timing seemed to be off....we replace the inlet valve(?) and then put a whole new VANOS on it..but the car still has cold start problems and a curious(knocking/ticking noise not reall loud or anything but if you stop and listen for it then you notice it). I am tempted to ask BMW over here in Germany the same questions you have been asking BMWNA....

Registered Member
    Member No: 138886 ctsmith is an unknown quantity at this point ctsmith's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 2000 328CI with same problem...

Another failed vanos here (1999 528it), then again the only M52TU's with vanos that works are those that have had the units replaced recently...

SteveW

Yes | No

Short term software fix

I have had a performance problem for years that BMW could not "reproduce" on a 2000 528i automatic. Then the rough idle began and after I forced them to sit in a cold car and start it, they indeed felt the rough idle. They said the could not find a problem and completly reinstalled all the software for the engine (or so they said) and the issue went away. No more idle or perforance problems it was like a new car, for about 30 days. Now it is back to "normal" rough idle at cold start and lagging at midrange performance. With regards to your previous diagnoses, how would a software installation correct the problem and then resurface after 30 days?

Registered Member
    Member No: 111493 rajaieq is an unknown quantity at this point rajaieq's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Short term software fix

Hereís some speculation.

What they did probably reset your adaptation values. This particularly applies to your auto tranny. This reset might have caused the DME to not utilize the catsí warm-up phase for a period. Maybe the adaptation values needed to be gathered before turning on the cats warm-up feature. Once the adaptation values were collected and set the catsí warm-up phase was enabled.

You can disconnect your battery for a few minutes and see if this has the same effect.
    Let us know.
    Rajaie
    528i 5sp 06/00

SteveW

Yes | No

Your right

OK... I think you're right. I remember the mechanic said the car will have to re-adapt to your driving and they upgraded the tranny software...
    I'll try the battery disconnect and let you know.
    Thanks!

Registered Member
    Member No: 138901 poolman is an unknown quantity at this point poolman's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I am new here and have question about Vanos...

From my understanding from what has beeen posted above that the Vanos problem is limited to cars 01 and back, is this correct? If the problem is also found in later models (I have a 03-525i)are there
    details anywhere that one may tackle this job as a diy?
    I guess that I'm really getting the cart before the horse though if one can't but the O rings as replacements.
    Thanks for a great read on a problem that could affect all with inline six engines.
    C Roberson

SRR2

Yes | No

A Question for Loach and Rajaie

I was describing this mess to a friend when an idea/question popped into my head.

As I understand the operation of the two pistons, they both get push-pull commands from the vanos solenoid valves. Is that right?

Ok, here's the idea: what do you think would happen if you'd just take the spring out? Sure, it wouldn't crank all the way forward right away by default at startup, but the demands on the seals would be greatly reduced and the chances they'd operate in normal push-pull mode would probably be much higher. I think you already have the evidence you need about this because all the descriptions of the problems have centered on the exhaust side -- IOW, where the spring is. So sacrifice some small operating margin at cold start, but get back normal operation the rest of the time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information