+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 64039 911M5 is an unknown quantity at this point 911M5's Avatar

Yes | No

Former E34 M5 owner about to get a E39 M5 beast

First a comment then the questions...you guys seem as fanatical about your cars as E34 M5 guys and all the Porsche guys over on Rennlist as well!!! I can tell I am going to have fun here, mod mods mods mods mods....... :-)

I also have a 1996 993 Twin Turbo (911) and have spent about six years on that board. I also owned a Great E34 M5 from 2000-2003, and a 1996 911 Carrera 2 cabriolet from 2000-2005 and it was a kick in the pants. I drove a 2001 740iL Sport with every option the factory had until yesterday when I sold it so I could get an M5.

I found a 2002 Imola Red on Caramel with the complete leather, park distance control, and fold down rear seats. It does not however have the M audio which I want, the Mk IV dvd nav, sirius radio or bluetooth. Hence the questions....

1) Doesn't it make sense to do all of these at once since you are basically taking apart the electronics bay in the trunk to do these things?

2) It appears you must add the sirius radio and the Mk IV NAV to get sirius. Is that correct? If so, where do get a Mk IV for a good price?

3) Does the complete leather package or the fold down rear seats keep me from being able to do the M-audio subwoofer swap out? I saw it on www.bimmerdiy.com/e39 and it seems easy enough.

4) Does anyone have an idea on the amount of labor hours needed for these projects and how much time you would save by doing them all at once?
    Bluetooth hours?
    SIrius Radio?
    Mk IV DVD NAV?
    M-audio Subwoofer upgrade?
    \
    Thanks for your help with this. I am trying to decide whether or not to have all these things done before I pick up the car.

Robert

Registered Member
    Member No: 30170 mng1 is an unknown quantity at this point mng1's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Former E34 M5 owner about to get a E39 M5 beast

1) If you can afford to do all at once, get it done. I've had parts sitting/collecting. And I'm sure you are correct about overlap. Might as well add the AUX input at same time too.

2) Sirius upgrade requires the latest radio(and nav) units I believe. I hear Crevier BMW or other sponsors give good discounts.

3) I have fold down seats and M-Audio. I would recommend aftermarket subs as I am pretty disappointed with the M-Audio(I just posted question on ways to improve).

4) Not sure

PS: The hardcore M5 fanatics are on m5board

Good luck

Patton '88M6/'00M5/'83 B9 Alp
    Member No: Patton '88M6/'00M5/'83 B9 Alp's Avatar

Yes | No

FWIW, I'd rather listen to the engine>>

than hear the radio. These engines.........they sing such a sweet song

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: FWIW, I'd rather listen to the engine>>

I won't disagree with that thought. :-)

But I do like to listen to music when I am NOT listening to the engine. Although, I will say I don't turn the stereo on much in my Twin Turbo >:-)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Former E34 M5 owner about to get a E39 M5 beast

I am definitely getting bluetooth, so that is done.

I am a little confuseed about the subwoofers though. Are disappointed with the amount of bass, or how the bass hits? What is the shortcoming of the system? Do you recommend another set of speakers that could be mounted on the rear shelf so I don't take up a bunch of trunk space like the infiniti subwoofer from Bav auto does?

AFA fanatics, it seems they are in both forums, just maybe more people over there. But thanks for the info, I also posted these questions there.

Registered Member
    Member No: 30170 mng1 is an unknown quantity at this point mng1's Avatar

Yes | No

much lighter/softer/looser bass than I'd expect.

Realize that there is a lot of sound deadening material in b/w the trunk and compartment. If you happen to test drive, listen to the bass with a fold down seat down. I'd recommend going with an aftermarket solution. Not sure if A/D/S or MBQuart offer a solution. Heck, I'll probably get flack for this but try a 12" Bazooka. =)

BTW, I listen to classic modern rock, 80's, top 40, and some hip hop.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: much lighter/softer/looser bass than I'd expect.

Thanks. You just helped change my mind.

I listen to pretty much everything and consider my myself somewhat an audiophile. The problem was when I test drove the M5 last week, I spent more time paying attention to the things that really matter like the condition of the clutch, etc... I really did not get a chance to listen to the system much more than a minute.

I am looking into the system offered on the M5Board.com by one of their sponsors as well as the infiniti system from BavAuto. If anyone else has thoughts about what system, let's hear it!!

Thanks for your feedback.

Patton '88M6/'00M5/'83 B9 Alp
    Member No: Patton '88M6/'00M5/'83 B9 Alp's Avatar

Yes | No

Well said. The sound system in my>>

car is amazing. Concert, in your face, outstanding. Still, I choose to listen to the M engines.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information