+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 34938 Wldeyefoto is an unknown quantity at this point Wldeyefoto's Avatar

Yes | No

8:15 vs. 8:09

BMW's current superstar, the all-new M6, has recently recorded an 8:09 lap of the Nordschleife circuit at Nurburgring. This car has carbon fiber body parts, a 507 HP V-10 with a redline of 8250 rpms, a 7 speed SMG transmission, 14.74" front rotors and 14.5" rears, a limited slip differential, and 19" lightweight forged alloy wheels with state-of-the-art R-compound 255/40 Pirelli P Zero Corsas up front and 285/35s in the rear. Pretty impressive stuff! How does it compare to our old-tech Z8s? BMW reported a Nordschleife lap time of 8:15 for the Z8 running a 394 HP V8 with a 7000 rpm redline, on heavy cast aluminum 18" wheels shod with severely compromised 245/45 and 275/40 run-flat tires, a 6-speed manual transmission, 13.1" front rotors and 12.9" rears, and an open differential! Remember, this is a 12 mile per lap road course where 6 seconds could easily be erased by a different tire choice. With a few updates to take advantage of current technology, I'd guess the old girl would raise a few eyebrows at the 'Ring! So don't be fooled by all the marketing hype, you're still driving "The Ultimate"!Grease Monkey

rjay

Yes | No

Re: 8:15 vs. 8:09

Methinks you should take your modified car over there and teach em a lesson! 6 seconds is indeed a blink of the eye on that track, so with tires, LSD, dinan S2, wheels, suspension, etc, the Z8 should take the M6 pretty handily I would hope.

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 112187 dwz8 is an unknown quantity at this point dwz8's Avatar

Yes | No

if GM takes his modified car to the NS and is able to drive it faster than 8:15 I'll pay for his flight ticket.

Unless you know the Ring inside out there is no chance that you get close to these times.

Registered Member
    Member No: 34938 Wldeyefoto is an unknown quantity at this point Wldeyefoto's Avatar

Yes | No

The discussion is about the Z8, not the driver. The times posted were achieved by professional drivers employed by BMW. I would never pretend to be their equal. But I do believe an updated Z8 in their hands would blow the doors off the new M6.Grease Monkey

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 112187 dwz8 is an unknown quantity at this point dwz8's Avatar

Yes | No

I know, no problem, just wanted to make the point that the car is just a small part of the game there.

You may be right, although a couple of details come to my mind: sport auto did the test, they ran the M6 with the Conti tires, their comment was that the Pirelli Corsas did not help to improve the time.

As far as improvements go, there is certainly room for this. The main problem of the Z8 on the Ring is its weight (same for the M6, which is even heavier).

BMW certainly knows how to build great engines.
    It would be marvellous if they would remember that weight is equally important. An M6 with 1,500 kg would make a whole lot of a difference, as well as a Z8 with 300 pounds less.

Registered Member
    Member No: 61707 johnsonr is an unknown quantity at this point johnsonr's Avatar

Yes | No

figured you would drive dwz8!

of course, drivers would have to be identical for any comparison, then the car is "the whole game". Rjay

Registered Member

Yes | No

I totally agree with your statement concerning weight. I have been able to remove 160 lbs. from my Z8 and the difference is very noticeable. Unfortunately I'm running out of ways to lighten the car except perhaps by changing the seats to lightweight racing versions and there are some substantial problems associated with such a move. Fitment of the modern wide-shoulder designs is impractical in the Z8 due to the extremely narrow cockpit dimensions in that area plus seat belt attachment/communication is problematic with aftermarket seats. I continue to search for an option and would be delighted to hear from anyone who has successfully installed lighter seats in their Z8. Steve Dinan, who is building the new motor for my car, promised to save some weight in the process (lighter internal parts, oil-water heat exchanger eliminated, lighter exhaust, etc.) and I am hopeful that I can reach my goal of shaving a total of 200 lbs. from the car. It will still be too heavy for optimum performance but it's not a race car and I still want to enjoy the creature comforts which make the Z8 such a delight to drive. Grease Monkey

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information