+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PUR NRG

Yes | No

How do you steal a BMW?

Reading a previous post about a stolen E39 got me to thinking: how was it stolen? BMW goes to great lengths to list all the security measures they have including a computer chip embedded in the key itself. This leads one to believe the only way to steal a parked E39 is to tow it away--assuming the security device is armed of course.

So am I mistaken in my belief that E39s are almost impossible to hotwire?

Stan528i

Yes | No

Most Professionals tow or flatbed it ?(more)

And if they make it into the trunk all they have to do is pull the fuses for the alarm and central locking. No more noise from the car. So all the anyone would see is a bimmer on a flatbed going to the mechanic/chopshop/used parts depot.

Albo

Yes | No

I was thinking the same thing (m)

There were two interesting things I was thinking about. 1) how would you drive away the car without the key. It almost (Almost) seems not worth it to try and steal a BMW if you know there are chips in the keys. Unless thieves have built a "Hack" around this feature. 2)The car was stolen from the parking lot of RMS correct? Was it being worked on? Did the thieves stake the car out for some time before they got up the Moxie to steal it? Was it Luck?......Or did they know exactly when, where, and how to do it? Did they somehow have access to a key? Lots of interesting questions....I'd love to hear some answers from people who know more than me...;-)

Albo

Yes | No

..............Eeeeeenteresting...;-)

John D.-NY

Yes | No

What I'd still like to know is how the wallet key

starts the car. Anyone know? That key obviously doesn't have a chip in it. I thought that the groove design on the key somehow informed the car to bypass the chip, but the groove designs on the 'normal' key and the plastic key appear identical.

John D.

There were two interesting things I was thinking about. 1) how would you drive away the car without the key. It almost (Almost) seems not worth it to try and steal a BMW if you know there are chips in the keys. Unless thieves have built a "Hack" around this feature. 2)The car was stolen from the parking lot of RMS correct? Was it being worked on? Did the thieves stake the car out for some time before they got up the Moxie to steal it? Was it Luck?......Or did they know exactly when, where, and how to do it? Did they somehow have access to a key? Lots of interesting questions....I'd love to hear some answers from people who know more than me...;-)

Albo

Yes | No

Can someone confirm there actually is a chip?

You know I never heard the sales associate I bought my car from ever mention anything about a chip in the key. I thought maybe I wasn't listening, so I chalked it up on my own enthusiasm over getting the car. Can someone provide answers? I only learned of these mysterious chips when I asked "The Board" if I could install a remote starter on my car. Someone told me "no". (Do I now have hope?)

Ågent99

Yes | No

It HAS a chip in it...that is the only way it...

...will start the car. I dare you to break yours open but you will find that I am correct.

If you are wondering about a power supply or battery...well, it uses the energy stored in a magnetic field (generated when the plastic key is inserted into the ingition) to power itself.

Pretty nifty, eh?

Chris

Albo

Yes | No

And that kids...is why we ask questions!

Albo

Yes | No

So, still no Remote Starter for me?

John D.-NY

Yes | No

Re: It HAS a chip in it...that is the only way it.

I wasn't questioning whether the regular key has a chip in it or not, I was asking what enables the car to start when using the plastic key without a chip.

I'm confused by your answer... If you have to have a chip to start the car, then why don't you need a chip when you use the plastic key?

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that if one can get around needing a chip by using the plastic key, then it wouldn't take much for a savvy thief to do essentially the same thing and drive off with your car, right? I'm not challenging, just asking - this has always baffled me.

John D.

...will start the car. I dare you to break yours open but you will find that I am correct.

If you are wondering about a power supply or battery...well, it uses the energy stored in a magnetic field (generated when the plastic key is inserted into the ingition) to power itself.

Pretty nifty, eh?

Chris

Chad

Yes | No

Re-read the post - The Plastic Key HAS a Chip

Ågent99

Yes | No

Sorry for the confusion, Chad has cleared it up.

John D.-NY

Yes | No

Ok, now I get it. Thanks!!!

PNF (CA)

Yes | No

Agree about towing (m)

My E-34 525 was stolen. Since it didn't have the special security chip in the key, they were able to drive it away. The factory alarm and "deadbolt" door locks were useless.

However, the reason to steal these cars is not for the joyride, but for the parts. My car was stolen at night and recovered early the next day with most of its external body parts removed. Therefore, it shouldn't matter to the thieves if they can start the car, all they need to do is move it.

Paul
    2001 530iA

Don Eilenberger - NJ
    Member No: Don Eilenberger - NJ's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: How do you steal a BMW?

Reading a previous post about a stolen E39 got me to thinking: how was it stolen? BMW goes to great lengths to list all the security measures they have including a computer chip embedded in the key itself. This leads one to believe the only way to steal a parked E39 is to tow it away--assuming the security device is armed of course.

So am I mistaken in my belief that E39s are almost impossible to hotwire?

You're correct, I would go beyond 'almost'..

I suspected towing in this case also - and that the car was located somewhere with no-one around, or the alarm was turned off - since the stock alarm also includes a tilt-sensor, made to trigger it IF the car is towed (with the alarm on..)

Saw a writeup somewhere - that rated how difficult various cars were to steal (it was a UK based site..) and the BMW's with factory alarm are generally overlooked by thieves because the alarm is THAT GOOD.. they'll pick an easier target.

CG

Yes | No

yup, ramp it

standard way to steal a luxury car, so I am told

Jim Cash

Yes | No

Re: Can someone confirm there actually is a chip?

You know I never heard the sales associate I bought my car from ever mention anything about a chip in the key. I thought maybe I wasn't listening, so I chalked it up on my own enthusiasm over getting the car. Can someone provide answers? I only learned of these mysterious chips when I asked "The Board" if I could install a remote starter on my car. Someone told me "no". (Do I now have hope?)

There ARE sucurity chips in each of your keys (including the little plastic one) that communicate with the car's security circuits and engine computer - via an antenna ring around the ignition switch.

Each of your keys are coded to be recognised by your car's system, and only a properly coded key will unlock the electronics - has nothing to do with unlocking the ignition switch itself.

This is different than the "additional" electronic chip that is in the remote keys -which needs a battery to operate - all it does is the romote functions.

There are some remote start methods that use an additional ignition switch antenna in which you permanently install one of your keys. I think this is hidden somewhere under the dash.

Therefore the security is always bypassed and a remote starter can be made to work.

I sort of think this is a mistake, and would probably affect your insurance if the car was stolen.

Cheers
    Jim Cash

NJDave

Yes | No

They will sometimes take a chance and break into..

the car to get at the glove compartment, where I have been told some BMW owners store their BMW supplied (zip-cased) owners manuals. I've been informed that some theives rely on some owners not removing the "flat" spare key out of these cases and it is easy to start the car and disable the alarm after this key is found and used. Here in New York I am now thinking of placing a small sticker/sign to notify anyone that I do not keep the spare key in the car.

my car Albo

Yes | No

Thanks Jim..A let down...but i'd rather not risk

Jim Levandoski

Yes | No

Re: How do you steal a BMW? Don't blink you eyes!

I read a report from an insurance company about various cars and the time it takes for a professional to steal them. It took an amazing 45 seconds for them to rip it off, so don't think your ride is invincible. I put in a LoJack just to give me some piece of mind.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information