+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 138376 jetfixr123 is an unknown quantity at this point jetfixr123's Avatar

Yes | No

V8 Alternator/electrical trouble

I'm a new member to this forum and just took delivery of my 2002 V8 Esprit. As luck would have it the car fell right on its face (broke down) the first day it rolled off the truck. I own/run an aircraft maintenance facility and have been an avid exotic car owner/mechanic for quite a few years.
    Anyway enough with that, just thought I'd share some findings if they haven't been posted yet. Troubleshooting my dead battery/wacky gauges led to an inop alternator. I had heard that the alternator used on the V8's is the same as that of a Vauxhall or Opel Omega, well the Omega is VERY similar to a Cadillac Catera, I cross- referenced GM numbers from the Lotus and bingo...If your alternator ever fails order a 2001 Cadillac Catera alternator from GM and they will hand you a 120Amp Bosch alternator...Some of you folks may already know all of this, so I may not be helping much...I thought I'd post anyway...One more thing, the old alternator blew the lamp in the dash (low volt lamp). Without replacing the bulb your new alternator won't work if it is burned out...

I hope this post will help somebody someday...

Best Regards

Registered Member
    Member No: 159492 sblmasta is an unknown quantity at this point sblmasta's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: V8 Alternator/electrical trouble

All of a sudden my '98 engine shut down shortly after the speedometer went nuts at a stop sign. Right now the starter barely turns over the engine even with spark plugs out (no bad mechanical noise from engine). Battery fully charged but drops to 8.3 V while cranking. Any clues? Strugling to get the starter out of the car.

Registered Member
    Member No: 114848 sddave is an unknown quantity at this point sddave's Avatar

Yes | No

Ian: welcome to Lotus ownership and thank you for sharing that information. There is much opportunity for cross-referenced parts. You might want to check out the Esprit Fact File at http://www.espritfactfile.com and at the top menu bar go to Support -> Parts -> X-reference. The list is compiled from "Dr Hess", a long-time Yahoo turboesprit list contributor.

dave

sam

Yes | No

hey ian, a good friend of mine has an lotus esprit and the altenator went up, he already had in mind that the orig did not have enough amp in the first place as well he was looking to find one with upgraded amps, so thanks for the confirmation on that issue. more importantly he can find anyone to work/change out the old one for the new one. he has a good basic know-how of auto repair and replacement ( mostly on the smaller jobs such as this COULD be) my questions is to you, were you able to change out the alternator yourself, if so and even if not, would you happen to know if the alternator has to come out from the bottom under carraige or from the top underneath the hood? also, how hard the job is and what you may have to remove in order to get/get out the alternator? one last thing if you did pay to get the job done, how much did you pay? thanks alot for your time ian, sam.

contact info: ([email protected])

User Level 1
    Member No: 197648 LotusEspritV8 is an unknown quantity at this point LotusEspritV8's Avatar

Yes | No
    Hello JetFixr123,

I have a 1997 Esprit V8 and the alternator died on me this morning. Would you have to still have the GM part numer or Borsch part numer please so I can order one? I live in Sydney Australia so will order from anywhere that stock it!
    Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 49.176.102.211

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information